Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Thinking about purchasing a HKS SSQ BOV

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TakaseEVOIXSE
"ricey" is a SLOW POS car w non functional parts. a fast evo or any car justifying whatever noises/parts it has on is not ricey in my opinion. too many people on "forums" trying to prove something...

and the negative effects of a vta bov is not as simple as bad/good. if your ecu cannot compensate for the add'l fuel readings from the missing blown off air, then yes it will be slightly rich at that specific point. it doesnt cause your entire powerband to go rich. the only reason I am vta is because i have yet to see any negative effects on my IX using a wideband on the dyno and datalogging. it doesnt even dip in afr from what ive seen probably because it goes lean anyways when u lift. now this is on my IX. I have no idea why my car compensates. idle never dips or stalls you wouldnt even know until u heard it. yes ive had other maf cars that couldnt runit set up that way and I agree it shouldnt be in those cases. but to make a generalized statement as vta bad, recirc good is misleadingas far as tech info is concerned. seems more like a fashion statement than anything. dumped header on a sohc civic=ricer dumped header on a 9 sec civic? functional.. some would say your huge evo spoiler is ricer if it wasnt on an "evo"

Some people start using the term rice so loosely now a days, everything they don’t like about a car, or, on a car, they call it rice. I see some people call the stock evo wing rice WTF, even the vortex generator on the evo 9 mr I have seen people call rice, and that’s a OEM piece. I have experienced all versions of the evo from the lancer gsr right up to the evo 10 and i cant even imagine the evo without a wing. An evo without a wing is no evo at all. To hear a evo not blowing off in Jamaica is strange, some people not in the know might even think that something is wrong with the car itself. Its just a characteristic that many people here in ja and around the world have gotten used to and love. That just my honest opinion.

I have friends running to atm for years here in Jamaica and in Fort Lauderdale with no problems what so ever on cars from the evo 1 right up to evo 9 and on other turbo charged maf cars as well. A majority of evos here with an aftermarket bov have them venting to atm, and the only time they experience problems is when the bov itself becomes defective and stops working properly. Some people on this forum makes it seem as if the car is gonna suffer from catastrophic engine failure if u vent to atm, while people have been doing it for over a decade all over the world on all the previous models and now the current one with absolutely no problems what so ever.

Last edited by Jason; Jun 25, 2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech
hks ssq bov's suck

they leak and dont flow much. I'd stick with stock
+1
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Jul 1, 2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Im over this......
Old Jun 25, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech
Design- the way it mounts with the flat flange in a cup, under high boost the bov gets pushed up and it leaks boost. I've seen them leak on numerous cars including my 95 tsi awd 5 years ago when i decided to try it out. They dont leak through the bov itself, but around the flange. 50% of cars i see with hks ssq's installed i can grab the bov and turn it freely.
If that's the problem, then there's no problem. I had SSQV in my previous car and the only way I could rotate the BOV is with the rest of the car. It was sealed dead on. And no problems with flowing.

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
A BOV IS RICE. This is why. YOU DONT NEED IT. The Stock Piece is great. The BOV hurts performance of your car. Because you dont need it and it hurts the performance of your car, not to mention is wanna be F & F stuff, makes it rice.
Killer argument
SSQV is good and helps performance because (i) it's good and (ii) it helps performance. And its sounds sweeeet ))))
If seriousely, I would agree that it's not strictly necessary, but I'm going to get one anyway because I like the sound and it doesn't hert performance.

Last edited by Mojito; Jun 25, 2008 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 25, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Jul 1, 2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Im over this......
Old Jun 25, 2008, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Do your research. You obviously dont know what the hell your talking about.
Whatever. But if you know something, may be you could share some useful info for a change? If not, then...
Old Jun 25, 2008, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mojito
Whatever. But if you know something, may be you could share some useful info for a change? If not, then...
Have you even read the thread?? I have stated valid reasons why they suck.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Im done. You guys all go buy BOV's. Just please dont make a thread when your car runs like ****.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 04:57 PM

OK dont listen to this.

VTA BOV are very very bad for a car that uses a MAF sensor (like the EVO's). But more so what makes having a BOV "stupid" is the fact that you DONT need it. The stock part is a good piece and doesnt need to be changed.

Also, BOVs DO NOT effect spool up.

If you dont know what the hell you are talking about (not just you robbie, but everyone that types false knowledge), then keep you fingers away from the keyboard.

sorry bro, but i posted nothing that was wrong. not only will it not hurt your car, but you'd be really hard proven to show any evidence that it could when veted to atmo. please please please prove me wrong. at the WORST the ecu doesn't get to meter the air if the maf or map is a pull through design and it goes rich and shuts down/stumbles for a split second when you shift from a hard pull. as for spool up, you OBVIOUSLY have never run a large turbo with both setups and tried spooling back up after a shift. please, get some experience (not just you EVO KID) before you post up with your intrawebs knowledge.

Steve...i've never seen an HKS leak. especially from the flange. and i've built SEVERAL 500+ nissan and dodge motors using the hks/tial. i like them both. the only way i see it leaking from the flange is if the o-ring is either bad, crimped, installed wrong or not even installed. the c-clip fits damn tight and doesn't give any room for leaking. as for the valve....the more you boost the more it seals....just like the tial and unlike almost any other bov on the market. just sharing my experience, not saying you didn't have issues with them. it happens

Last edited by robbie2883; Jun 25, 2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 04:58 PM

Have you even read the thread?? I have stated valid reasons why they suck.
you've stated nothing except they suck....no reason why other then opinion.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

HAHAHA wait until Wartalon sees this thread ...

So, in reality, some cars do work well with a VTA BOV, mine works flalessly.

HKS is a great brand, one of the best.

How ever, listen, the HKS BOV is not the best one out there, I have it on my car. I actually have two of them.

The problem with the HKS is that it leaks also at half throttle. The design also does not flow too well, not that this matters too much at normal power levels. If you put it to recycle, the opening is even smaller.

I'm selling mine, actually both, soon. The problem is that the base of the HKS is propietary and I need to make an adapter. (my car has the whole HKS system, and I'm working on a cad design for the adapter).
Buy something else or offer something for mine .

just my 2 cents.

Last edited by supersupra; Jun 26, 2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Jul 1, 2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Im over this......
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robbie2883
you've stated nothing except they suck....no reason why other then opinion.
Damn you cant read.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:38 PM

Nissian motors and dodge motor all use MAP based intake systems, IIRC.

I have heard many problem about HKS BOV and experienced problems with the ones I have had to deal with in person. Just because stuff is from Japan (HKS), doesn't make it the best. On the other hand, I feel that tial makes a better part.

actually nissan has used a maf setup since way back in the z32 days. most of them setup in a pull through configuration instead of a blow through. do you understand the physics and fundamentals of the two systems? and why one would stumble and one wouldn't with a vta setup? either way map/maf/blowthrough or pull through, those do not effect spoolup, only possible rich conditions when releasing boost pressure. which in no way would damage a motor. so please, explain to me how and in what way a bov can cause damage and be "bad" for an engine. also please explain how vta does not effect spoolup? again...you make a ton of claims but have no facts to back anything up.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 01:00 PM
Account Disabled

this is getting good *grabs popcorn*

Quick Reply: Thinking about purchasing a HKS SSQ BOV