Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

5th Gear vibration on shifter = rattling

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have just did a test with it, the rattling is still there but it's dampened a bit. I'll go back into the console tomorrow and use pliers to apply more force onto that tie strap to give it more pressure onto the rod. When I initially did the tie strap I used my fingers and pulled. You'll get more pull with piliers hold the head down and your finger pulling the tail at full force. Also I might suggest placing heavy duty weather strip on the bracket between the ball joint, maybe it might dampen it more, I'll try this tomorrow.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Update on noise. I have found the absolute tie strap solution. I've tried 3 different straping technique and found 1 way that totally got rid of the flapping noise. 2 days back to back I have been testing and the noise has never came back. The test that I ran through was constant 70mph, 60-80mph acceleration and then cruising back down to 70mph. Tried a 75mph and a 85mph constant cruising and during all those times there was no noise what so ever from the tranny anymore. I'll post pics once I get home of how you should tie strap that cable. You also need weather stripping too with this setup.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by raytrix
Update on noise. I have found the absolute tie strap solution. I've tried 3 different straping technique and found 1 way that totally got rid of the flapping noise. 2 days back to back I have been testing and the noise has never came back. The test that I ran through was constant 70mph, 60-80mph acceleration and then cruising back down to 70mph. Tried a 75mph and a 85mph constant cruising and during all those times there was no noise what so ever from the tranny anymore. I'll post pics once I get home of how you should tie strap that cable. You also need weather stripping too with this setup.
Sweet, waiting on pics.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Here it is. First you need to purchase weathering strip from Home Depot or any hardware store, item to the left on picture below. Be sure to get the one that has lots of padding, don't get foam type weathering strip, it needs to be rubber to last long and dampen.

Cut a thin strip prob 1 inch width by .5 inch height and cram it between the socket and the bracket as shown below.

Now here comes the precision work. MAKE SURE YOUR SHIFTER IS IN NEUTRAL POSITION AND NOT IN GEAR (the reason behind this is that if you tighten the strap when your in gear 5 for an example, when you shift to gear 1 the rod would be pushed forward and the tension you applied to the tie strap originally on gear 5 would of became slack and then the noise comes back). Be sure to tie strap #1 onto the socket/rod as shown on the pic below before you tie strap #2 onto the socket/rod. This way tie strap #2 will overlap tie strap #1 and keep it in place and not allow tie strap #1 to slide off the corner of the rod during shifting. Be sure to apply maximum force to these tie straps for secure operations. Clip the left over tails and enjoy the sound free driving. Please let me know if this helped you at all, for me the noise has never came back. I did a 60-105mph run and cruised at 90mph today and still the vibration from the tranny never loosen those tie straps and the noise never came back.

Old Apr 23, 2009, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

This is quote from JWA. Since I was reluctant to remove any cables on the tranny since I'm inexperience in that department. He has remove that shift cable and rotate it 360 degree's once so it shortens that cable little bit which is just enough to apply tension to that cable to stop that rattling. Here is his post.
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=34
Old Apr 23, 2009, 05:26 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, it doesn't shorten the cable - at least not in the sense that you are tightening it on a threaded end or anything. I just found that by rotating it that the extra tension stopped the vibration.

It has been a month or two since I did it and I've completely forgotten about it - so it clearly worked as intended .
Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JWA
Actually, it doesn't shorten the cable - at least not in the sense that you are tightening it on a threaded end or anything. I just found that by rotating it that the extra tension stopped the vibration.

It has been a month or two since I did it and I've completely forgotten about it - so it clearly worked as intended .
Thanks for clarifying that. I was assuming a threaded end. Well you guys heard the man, it works if you 360 it. I hope this is of good help for the community.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:18 PM

Can you guys please explain this easier fix in a little more detail?

I want to do it too but not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying you twist the cable one full twist toward the shifter and then put it back on?

Last edited by nala; Apr 24, 2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Below is the steps to doing this fix. Please refer to the picture above as I provide the 3 step process.
1. Pull the shifter cable off the rod. Use a flat head screw driver to help give you leverage to pry it out.
2. Rotate the cable 360 degrees as shown in that orientation.
3. Put the shifter cable back onto the rod. Open a can of beer and enjoy the rest of the week.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 08:37 AM

Awesome thanks, one last question and I'm off to fix this annoyance. Do you still need to put some weather stripping in there or does the 360 degree rotation work without the extra material?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 25, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Nope. I just used the same pic from last time I fix this because I'm lazy to take another pic without it.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried to twist mine but it would not give. I will try at another time with more time and patience.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 11:13 PM

Hi Guys! I have this problem also and am just wondering if the twisting solution is the permanent fix? Thanks and I will greatly appreciate any feedback. I have spoken with my local dealer and they said that there is no TSB for this.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 11:28 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kimber_94806
Hi Guys! I have this problem also and am just wondering if the twisting solution is the permanent fix? Thanks and I will greatly appreciate any feedback. I have spoken with my local dealer and they said that there is no TSB for this.
I sold my car a few months ago, but the rattle never returned after I did the twist. Twisting it puts a fair amount of tension on it, so it's not likely to return. Best of luck with it.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by JWA
I sold my car a few months ago, but the rattle never returned after I did the twist. Twisting it puts a fair amount of tension on it, so it's not likely to return. Best of luck with it.
exactly how safe is it to do this "twist?" by adding more tension, does it not have any adverse long term effects on the shifter cables, or shifting functionality for the rest of the gears?

I wanna give this a try, but I'm on the fence.

Did you sell your car cause this remedy damaged some transmission component? lol

Last edited by JayRoC; Oct 24, 2009 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 5th Gear vibration on shifter = rattling