Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Megan Racing Cat-Back Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by izzyevo
I just got pictures of mine. Although I am no installing them until Mid June. I think they look nice.
Can you weigh the megan, please?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

ive been thinking about picking up this exhaust. it seems like a nice, inexpensive alternative, while still offering good sound and gain
Old Dec 26, 2009, 05:02 PM
Former Sponsor

My personal opinion, If I was going for power in a the X with many upgrades, i would go straight single or something like UR dual muffler. I just feel pumping exhaust into a sideways muffler and making it get pushed out two outlets is more work.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by strocse
My personal opinion, If I was going for power in a the X with many upgrades, i would go straight single or something like UR dual muffler. I just feel pumping exhaust into a sideways muffler and making it get pushed out two outlets is more work.
I've been told by a few people that it's better to have some kind of backpressure on the turbo rather than straight pipes.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 07:43 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nlp187
I've been told by a few people that it's better to have some kind of backpressure on the turbo rather than straight pipes.
You have been told wrong.

The turbo itself creates backpressure so the goal is to minimize it. Even with no exhaust on the car at all, there still would be plenty of backpressure from the turbine blades.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
You have been told wrong.

The turbo itself creates backpressure so the goal is to minimize it. Even with no exhaust on the car at all, there still would be plenty of backpressure from the turbine blades.
Oh thats what I assumed but I figured the people tuning my friends car knew what they were talking about. Guess not. lol Thanks for the info though! I am a noob to these cars.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 03:54 PM

I recently got this as a Xmas present from Santa (myself) along with the test pipe.

So far, I just installed the catback.

My first impressions - I think the quality is far better than I have anticipated. The polished stainless steel and all the tig welding was very impressive. Nothing has been weighed but a few pounds lighter than the stock. All the nuts, bolts and exhaust washers were all accounted for.

Removing the silencer is a PITA! Spent most of my time taking them off. This is what I had to do:

1. Spray generous amount of Silicone (WD40) between tip and silencer.
2. Used a hairdryer to heat up the tip (heat expansion).
3. Grab the silencer using a locking vice grip.
4. Placed a wide flat head screwdriver on the end of the vice grip and tapped it off gently with the hammer. (** Note you need to constantly reposition the vice grip on the silencer, tapping one side too much will warp the tip. Tips are a thin gauge aluminum.)

Installation was a breeze until you have a mate the catback to the conventer. You have to loosened the cat shielding wide enough for the exhaust flange to go through the exhaust shielding. However, this will be the case for those staying with a catback setup.

Regarding the sound... strangely it reminds me of my 04 STI when I had a 3" turboback stromung. It has a gargling sound. This is definitely louder than stock. Lower pitch, more like a V-8. It definitely makes a presence, but I fear this may attract attention from the cops. There is some resonance in the tranny tunnel. I don't know if this is the case with other EVO X guys running different exhaust as well.

But I did notice that there is hardly any sound proofing material underneath the car. This may be also the case. The car has not been dynoed but the car does feel like it's pulling harder.

Overall, I am happy in purchasing this exhaust. However, if I had to nick pick... They should have used one bolt to hold the silencers in place. They drilled two holes on each tip to secure the silencer. Those running sans silencer will have one visible hole on each side of the tip, closer to the bottom but nonetheless visible. Running one hole would have been sufficient considering how tight they place this silencer in.

It looks as though the exhaust tips are from a thin flat sheet metal and rolled to the cylinder form. However they should have welded the ends at the bottom and not on the side. So one of the exhaust tips show the weld seams.

I will get my car weighed this weekend and see if there was a weight difference. I have already established a base weight. 3580 lbs. on a full tank of gas.

Last edited by duracraft; Dec 30, 2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 05:08 PM

I had a complete exhaust (header & TBE) from Megan Racing on my 2007 STi. For the price the product is pretty decent. I've also seen others use their headers and TBEs on other cars and they have always been decent quality at a great price.

I did notice the same thing as you though for the muffler. The silencer and muffler tip each have two holes in either side for the silencer to attach. When the silencer is out (99% of the time on my former car) those holes are always visible when you are close up to the car. My only dislike of the exhaust or header I used on that car.

Please do post weight info when you get that. I'm interested in that.

Last edited by Captain Insano; Dec 29, 2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by kujoX
Anyone have a sound clip of the Megan catback dual exit black ?
Yes, somebody please post a clip.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

I know this is probably impossible, but I would like to see a cut-out of the muffler to see if its chambered etc.

Of all the duals I have seen, the Cobb tuning looks pretty dang awesome, but I am unsure why its sooooo pricey.

My current wish list for dual is as follows:

1) Perrin Stealth - said to be mellow, love the way it looks (or doesn't look )
2) TurboXS - Price is great for a well-known brand
3) Buschur cross-flow - Very quiet, but I have had issues in past with buschur exhaust fitment (slip-fits), could be just me...
4) Cobb Tuning - Supposedly sounds great, nice quality, the price is RIDICULOUS!
5) Megan OE-RS - Concerned about quality, weight and performance

Last edited by EvoIXMR; Dec 31, 2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

I had Megan exhaust products on past Evos and they have always been good products. I hope I get to hear one in person soon.

BTW, I have the Perrin TBE and it is mellow, but occasionally drones on the highway.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

If it helps at all i have the tbe megan on my 8 and its the quietest exhaust ive ever owned, heavier than some but quality is top notch and i saved hundreds compared to wayyy overpriced exhausts. Under my car every 3k miles and it still shines w. no rust. and LOL i took out the silencer with my thumb and forefinger and after a 16oz bottle of elbow greese
Old Jan 28, 2010, 09:17 AM

Just wanted to do a follow-up. In my earlier post I had mentioned that there was resonance in the tranny tunnel. Straight pipe had 1-2 mm clearance from the heat shield and occasionally it would touch. Discover that the straight pipe (not test pipe) that connects to the cat was slightly angled 5 degrees. Thus, minor carbon deposits between the flanges. Once I flopped pipe all the flanges are sealing properly. So far, happy with the quality of the exhaust.

Here is a quick diagram of the internal muffler. The driver side chamber is a good estimation based of looking through the piping.

Now that the weather has cleared up here in Cali I will weigh the car and find out the weight difference on the exhaust.

Last edited by duracraft; Jan 28, 2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

Just got the exhaust myself. Have to make a stop by mitsubishi before I put it on. You know how much they will like that.

Can't wait to tackle those silencers!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by duracraft
Just wanted to do a follow-up. In my earlier post I had mentioned that there was resonance in the tranny tunnel. Straight pipe had 1-2 mm clearance from the heat shield and occasionally it would touch. Discover that the straight pipe (not test pipe) that connects to the cat was slightly angled 5 degrees. Thus, minor carbon deposits between the flanges. Once I flopped pipe all the flanges are sealing properly. So far, happy with the quality of the exhaust.

Here is a quick diagram of the internal muffler. The driver side chamber is a good estimation based of looking through the piping.

Now that the weather has cleared up here in Cali I will weigh the car and find out the weight difference on the exhaust.
this is why i get more smoke from pass side

Quick Reply: Megan Racing Cat-Back Exhaust