Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Odd exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 11:52 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Odd exhaust sound

My Evo X is completely stock. I've been noticing over the past few days that the exhaust has gotten noticeably louder when cruising at freeway speeds. If I'm between 64-70mph, there is a significant drone from the exhaust. It's weird because it's only at those speeds (which just happen to be the speeds I cruise at on most freeways around where I live). If I'm at 72mph, no drone and the ride is much more quiet. Weird.

Anyone have any idea what this could be I'm planning to take it into the dealership and see what they say.

Thanks guys
Old May 13, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's strange as hell. How many miles are you up too?

Not to get off topic but I'm still trying to get used to the tranny whine in the MR.

I do hope there's nothing wrong, I'm assuming you've checked for loose bolts on your DP and such right?
Old May 13, 2009, 05:20 PM
EvoM Community Team

I have around 1400 miles. I haven't gotten under the car to check for any loose bolts or any exhaust rust or leaks. Might do that this weekend when I change the oil.

In the mean time, I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same issue.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Two places to check:
- exhaust manifold. Mine eats the nuts that hold the manifold on and the bolts that hold the hot side to the manifold. Pull the plastic cover on the motor, then pull the heat shield on the manifold (10mm bolts). Check the manifold to head nuts to make sure they are still there/tight. Then check the two nuts on studs and bolts on the manifold. Don't try and tighten them since they have special washers. If it's loose just take it to the dealer and let them know and have them torque them correctly.
- exhaust by the cat. Mine has blown out the gasket a couple times/the bolts/nuts have loosened.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

imo the stock exhaust was LOUD...loud in the sense it droned out easy/low rpm. seriously i think my perrin cbe exhaust is more quiet.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

I would guess that you have a hole in your flex pipe.
Old May 14, 2009, 06:25 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Two places to check:
- exhaust manifold. Mine eats the nuts that hold the manifold on and the bolts that hold the hot side to the manifold. Pull the plastic cover on the motor, then pull the heat shield on the manifold (10mm bolts). Check the manifold to head nuts to make sure they are still there/tight. Then check the two nuts on studs and bolts on the manifold. Don't try and tighten them since they have special washers. If it's loose just take it to the dealer and let them know and have them torque them correctly.
- exhaust by the cat. Mine has blown out the gasket a couple times/the bolts/nuts have loosened.
I'll take a look this weekend when I'm changing the oil. Thanks
Old May 14, 2009, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rocky2
I would guess that you have a hole in your flex pipe.
There is no flex pipe in the stock exhaust.
Old May 14, 2009, 07:50 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by John83
imo the stock exhaust was LOUD...loud in the sense it droned out easy/low rpm. seriously i think my perrin cbe exhaust is more quiet.
I wonder if you had a similar issue as I do with my stock exhaust. For the first 1000 miles, the stock exhaust was quiet (for an Evo). It's gotten progressively louder over the past 400 miles. It's got to be some type of loose bolt, loose seal or a leak somewhere. I'll take a look this weekend and then head to the dealership if I don't see anything.

I'm thinking about getting the T1R exhaust anyhow, so maybe this will just push me to buy it sooner
Old May 14, 2009, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lowkey
There is no flex pipe in the stock exhaust.
Well I retract my statement

Sorry, didn't occur to me that there might not be one on the Evo X exhaust. I only said that because I just welded in a new on my 3g
Old May 15, 2009, 06:13 AM
EvoM Community Team

I figured out it's not a specific MPH. It's a specific RPM because it will happen in any gear. Right around 3100-3400 RPM. It will happen when cruising (foot off the gas) or accelerating. And, it's very intermittent...where it will be there for a few seconds, then step on the gas and it will go away for a second and then come back. Something is definitely loose. Will take a look at it this weekend when I'm under the car and will be dropping it off at the dealership on Monday morning.