Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is a tune required after intake manifold upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2009, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is a tune required after intake manifold upgrade?

Would there be any significant changes to the boost level and A/F ratio after installation of an aftermarket intake manifold and requires a tune immediately?

I know an aftermarket filter does because it affects MAF reading significantly, but an intake manifold is located after the MAF but it also alters the way air enters the combusion chamber. So I suppose it would alter the A/F to some degree, but I wasn`t sure if the significance would great enough that requires a full tune (for safety reasons), or mild tune (for power purposes).
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:20 AM

I'm also wondering the same, anyone?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:39 AM

old post, but yes a tune is definitely recommended. This is just my opinion
Old Sep 13, 2013, 02:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A tune is "recommended" for any modification but if you can monitor your afr's and they are fine they I wouldn't worry.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 03:22 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anything that changes your afr requires a tune! In certain cases you'll decrease performance and possibly blow up your ****!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 05:05 AM

Depends on how well designed the intake manifold is and how much it flows over stock. If it's an improvement and yields more HP, then yes you'll need more injector pulse width at the same given load cells.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 08:07 AM

So I installed the skunk2 im and S90 70mm tb along with switch from GSC S1 cam to S2. tuned it for 20min and my alternator went dead! due to loose negative battery connection.
will continue this mon.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Heres my question/observation.

A MAF sensor is designed to detect mass of air entering the engine per unit time.

And mass of air is what dictates what load cell you are in the ECU.

So, if a modification results in more horsepower, then the MAF sensor will see additional MASS of air entering the engine, and thus, you will be in a higher load cell. And get more fuel.

It would be impossible to gain horsepower AND stay in the same load cell(s) as before.

If it was my car, and I wanted to play it safe just to be sure, Install a wideband sensor 3-5 feet from the turbocharger like they recommend and watch your air fuels with your own eyes.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by KingTal0n
It would be impossible to gain horsepower AND stay in the same load cell(s) as before.
I disagree. I can tell from this statement you must come from the Nissan world. Unlike those old Nissan ECU's in which load is a theoretical number, load on the EVO X ECU directly correlates as kPa. So that's why a retune is required when more air enters the motor at the same given boost level. Consider these cars a hybrid speed density setup where both map and mass air sensors are utilized.

Last edited by klattr1; Sep 18, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by klattr1
I disagree. I can tell from this statement you must come from the Nissan world. Unlike those old Nissan ECU's in which load is a theoretical number, load on the EVO X ECU directly correlates as kPa. So that's why a retune is required when more air enters the motor at the same given boost level. Consider these cars a hybrid speed density setup where both map and mass air sensors are utilized.
AH! So then it is NOT a maf sensor alone! Its not a Nissan thing; its a various automotive thing. Maf sensors appear on many different types of vehicles. A Haltech ECU for instance, doesn't care if you have a Nissan engine or a Chevrolet engine; and it can operate a maf, map, or alpha-N (I've never tried the alpha-N on the Haltech ECU so dont quote me)

that said, yes, I agree 100% if the computer is working from a load value based on pressure then you WILL have situations where temperature will alter the mass of the air entering the engine at identical pressures. (since air mass outside of quantum physics and disregarding the size of individual atoms is only directly correlated to: pressure, temperature, volume)

My next question would be, simply, why doesnt the maf sensor pick up on the additional mass then? If it has both, I mean, why cant the maf sensor help compensate? Sounds like it doesn't need to be there if it cant pick up additional mass of air.

Last edited by KingTal0n; Sep 19, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:42 PM

You need tune.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tune for sure
Old Oct 12, 2013, 01:59 PM

Im new to EVO scene but with any modification done to an engine would require a re-tune. Plus, you wouldn't even be getting the full potential out the part you just installed.