Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

short throw shifter recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have WORKS and I like it a lot..
Old Nov 30, 2009, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

I ordered the TWM w/ Base bushings and the AMS underhood bushings this weekend. I cant wait for them to get here!
Old Nov 30, 2009, 07:49 PM

WORKS short shifter, AMS base bushing and AMS underhood bushing =
Old Dec 1, 2009, 06:28 AM
Account Disabled

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stellar24
I ordered the TWM w/ Base bushings and the AMS underhood bushings this weekend. I cant wait for them to get here!
Thanks for the order!
Old Dec 1, 2009, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Just ordered my TWM short shifter, knob, and bushings.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CanEvo09
WORKS short shifter, AMS base bushing and AMS underhood bushing =

Same here!
Old Dec 1, 2009, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Golden
Why do people want the stock height? Try the lower height and see if you like it. Trust me, it is nice. TWM didn't make their shifter jog to the left and 1.25" shorter for no reason.
The lower the height the further you have to move your arm, not ideal for the track IMO. I want to be able to grab the shifter as quickly as I can with ease.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 09:59 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by pstl_pete
The lower the height the further you have to move your arm, not ideal for the track IMO. I want to be able to grab the shifter as quickly as I can with ease.
If you're someone who prefers a higher shift height, we often recommend picking up one of our height adjustable shift knobs. All of our shift knobs are height adjustable, and when the shift knob is set to the highest setting with our short shifter, it retains the stock shifter height. Plus it has the added bonus of looking great and smoothing out shifts due to the weight!

Patrick
TWM Performance
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pstl_pete

I think you "taller shifter" guys are missing something here. The stick does not stand straight up, its at an angle if it is in gear. You have to reach farther for a taller shifter in gear than a shorter shifter in gear. The extra time to reach all the way back from say second gear and then throw all the way forward to third gear, with the stock height, is more waisted reach and time than on a shorter shifter.

I can easily draw up some pictures, based off the measurements I took installing my shifter, to illustrate this if you want.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 04:40 PM

I just purchased a works SS after driving a friends car. I liked the feel a lot, and it being taller.

I also tried out the TWM SS and I thought it was good also.

I suggest you try out both (if you can). Both have great quality, so it's all personal preference.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

Finally ordered mine too. Went with TWM short shifter,Shift knob, and Works bushings. Can't wait to get them and install them next week.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
could a short shifter make the tranny had to get into gear? like missed shifts?

Last edited by Yamahar1; Dec 3, 2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 07:44 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Yamahar1
could a short shifter make the tranny had to get into gear? like missed shifts?
As long as you properly and fully depress the clutch when you shift, installing a short shifter will not lead in to more missed shifts.

Frank
TWM Performance
Old Dec 3, 2009, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Yamahar1
could a short shifter make the tranny hard to get into gear? like missed shifts?
I have the TWM, so all comments are in reference to it.

The left to right throw is not changed, so its no easier or harder to put it in the wrong gear than stock. Example would be sticking it in 3rd when you meant to put it in 5th.

As far as putting it all the way into gear, as opposed to grinding or ending up in neutral instead of a gear: It does take a bit more arm force to put it in a gear, but it takes less stroke. The less stroke makes it easier to make sure its all the way in gear. To compensate for the extra force needed to put it into gear, TWM sells weighted shift knobs.

When I got my X, I would miss shifts every now and then ('missed' as in not putting it all the way into gear). Nothing bad happened, because I always caught them with the clutch. I have yet to do it with my short shifter, and I have 2x more miles on the short shifter than the stock.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well the reason I ask is because a buddy of mine gave me a short shifter to put in. Not knowing what brand it was i threw it in then come to find out he got it off of ebay. This is what it looks like......

I have a fully built shep tranny, stage 3 T-case, shifter bushings, SS clutch line, new clutch fork, slave cylinder, ACT flywheel w/MB7-XTG6 clutch and it still grinds going into gear. I though maybe the angle of the short shifter or just the way it is made might be causing it.

Last edited by Yamahar1; Dec 4, 2009 at 02:50 AM.

Quick Reply: short throw shifter recommendation