Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock Tune...Lean AFR (Fuel pump relay failure could damage your engine!)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spunkysandoval
Checked the FPR line to the Intake Manifold and it's good. Going to look over the service manual and see what the voltage for the fuel pump is supposed to be durring WOT operation and try to verify it. If at that point the voltage is good and all fuel pump circuit integrity is good, I will most likely call it the fuel pump.

I wonder if there is anyone who would be willing to let me borrow their fuel pump to log a few runs and compar the results
You want to do diagnostics before removing internal organs, so check the pressure at the FPR with a boost gauge T-ed right at the FPR, then check fuel pressure before fuel rail and voltage at the fuel pump.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

I just thought of another possible cause for this issue.

A pinched fuel line would be a great way to impeade flow. I'm going to take a look under the car tomorrw and inspect all of the fuel lines for any signs of damage and pinching.

Here are some of the electrical checks i'm going to start with

Last edited by Spunkysandoval; Aug 9, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nj1266
The IDC was @ 100% on the stock tune.

This is a good indication that the fuel pump is being maxed out. The ecu is trying to compensate by letting the injectors work harder. Same thing happened to me on my 97 GSX when my fuel pump took a ****. I ran out of injector, 850cc, on pumpgas with just a 20g. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why. My fuel pressure gauge even indicated good pressure. But, the car kept leaning out towards the topend. I bought a new pump and everything went back to normal.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 02:11 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SiC
The bung for the vacuum line that goes to the FPR had no bead on it for the 2008 models. On the 2009 models Mitsubishi put a bead on it to prevent it from popping off. I guess Mitsubishi was aware of that problem

Nice, only took them six years to fix that one.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Here are my findings so far:

Well, after analyzing all of the conditions and the data that was gathered, it seemed that the fuel pump was the source of the lean condition. The IPW (injector pulse width) and IDC (injector duty cycle) were both maxed out on the sock tune! Unfortunately, evoscan does not currently support fuel pressure logging, which would have been very helpful in pinpointing fuel delivery as the problem.

With this information as a starting point I decided to perform some basic diagnosis of the fuel delivery system. What I discovered was that the fuel delivery system on the Evo X has two voltage operation states. One state is at low load and it supplys the fuel pump with a low voltage that goes through a resistor circuit to drop the voltage prior to going to the fuel pump. The second fuel pump voltage state occurs at high load conditions, not necessarily WOT, but high load. I don't know what the various determinants the ecm uses or what strategy Mitsu used to initiate the high voltage state, but I do know that the ECM powers up fuel pump relay #1 (see picture below) durring higher load running conditions.

After gaining a bit of understanding on the system operation, I began to perform some actual diagnostic steps.

The first step was to verify any simple mechanical issues that would cause a fuel starvation condition such as:
1. disconnected FPR (fuel pressure regulator) hose
2. Pinced Main Fuel Deliver Line (the line that runs from the pump to the engine bay under the car)

Both of these quick checks were ok.

I then refered to the Mitsu Shop Manual for further guidence in diagnosis. I used the following step to verify the operation of the High Load fuel pump voltage state

Fuel Pump Relay is located here

This was the results of my bench test on the fuel pump relay, a bad relay. The resistince was OL, which on this meter means out of limits and that means the circuit is open

Just to verify the test that I was performing, I tested the horn relay, it was good. Resistance measured 0.0

That is all I have for now. I am going to swap the horn relay with the fuel pump relay since it is the same exact part as temporary fix, and I will replace the horn relay at a later time.

I will try and get some more log data with Naji very soon and post the results here with the relay replaced

Last edited by Spunkysandoval; Aug 10, 2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:21 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

Glad you found the problem, Mitsubishi needs to order a recall on this thing, I've heard about this problem too many times. It can lead to engine failure which would be more costly for Mitsubishi to warranty.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
Have you logged a stock Evo X before? This is LEAN for a stock Evo X. That is NOT normal. The AFR is BAD for a stock Evo X.

I already backed the timing on the STOCK tune and that brought the knock down to 1-2 counts. That has been taken care of.
Did you check the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator?

11.5, while it may be lean under wot for a stock tune, does not indicate the lean condition you would get if the fuel pump was not kicking up to high speed I don't think, I think if that were the case it would be a lot leaner, but check the other thread that was posted on that subject to see what the op's afr was under wot.

Next step is to pull the plugs and check the piston tops for uniform color. If one does not match the rest, you may have a bad injector on that cylinder.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

^ problem has been isolated to a bad fuel pump relay.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for doing all this work to trouble shoot the problem. Please call me so we can get together and log the car to see if the relay is indeed the problem.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Today spunky and I logged an tuned his car. He nailed it. It was the bloody relay. The moment we swapped the relay, the car became pig rich during WOT. This is the first time that I was happy to see an Evo X running pig rich

There should be a sticky made with a WARNING in the title about this. This is a very serious problem for the Evo X that owners MUST be made aware of. This might lead, if it has not done so already, to a lot of blown engine.

I am very proud of Spunky. He took the bull by the horns and figured it out. I love people like that
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Proves my theory. Measure the voltage after the relay instead of swapping the fuel pump. Removing internal organs is always much more work with potential destructive consequences. Diagnose first!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeitronix
Proves my theory. Measure the voltage after the relay instead of swapping the fuel pump. Removing internal organs is always much more work with potential destructive consequences. Diagnose first!
Thanks for the help As they say measure twice and cut once.

I read about the relay problem before, but this is my first encounter with it on an Evo X. Now I know what to do if I come across this again.

I cannot believe that Mitsu used such a poor quality relay on such an improtant function. The bean counters strike again
Old Aug 12, 2009, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Well, you found out something is not right by diagnostics (logging), right?
I just want to make a strong point here to measure and think. I see too many times, swap a part troubleshooting techniques. Most of the time it creates more damage than good.
Glad to see it's working now. Back to making car fast now.

As far a relay quality goes. Too many times I have seen parts not meeting specifications. Mitsu engineers probably looked at the specs and decided the part is good to go. Even if they actually evaluated the pat sometimes the supplier down the road moves a production to a "lower cost facility" (wink) and the engineering does not find out till failures occur. Long story short, I had major semiconductor supplier move manufacturing to far east and lost the "recipe" how to make the part We used that part for a a well known networking giant. So, it's probably a good idea to bring this failure to Mitsu attention as they may not even know about it yet and trigger some attention.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

How do we bring this issue to the attention of mitsubishi?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 07:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
dont buy Mitsu again.

Quick Reply: Stock Tune...Lean AFR (Fuel pump relay failure could damage your engine!)