Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS Fuel Rail Noises

Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS Fuel Rail Noises

After I finished installing the AMS billet fuel rail I noticed some strange sounds coming from the engine compartment while driving/idling. It seems like there is a "rattlely" sound in the engine compartment and a hollow squeeky sound (love these descriptors) when I'm sitting at idle and I tap the throttle lightly off idle. The squeeky sound only lasts for a split second as you tap the throttle.

I'm not sure what the noizes are. The car runs fine and there are no leaks but something doesn't sound right. Maybe I have the injector clips in wrong or something??????????

Could the aluminum fuel rail be amplifying the injector noise?
Attached Thumbnails AMS Fuel Rail Noises-lowres30001.jpg  
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:48 AM

i have the same rattling noise coming from somewhere near the alternator. i dont know if its normal or not couple of my friend says its from the fuel injector i dont know if you resolve this problem please let me know. 2000miles on my 09RA its started around 1000
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

^^ is that the final install? looks like there are missing bolts in the steel tubing near the fuel rail and under the harness...you could try inserting a rubber in between them first to test it out...if the rattling sounds disappears then that's the problem...
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tonyboy
^^ is that the final install? looks like there are missing bolts in the steel tubing near the fuel rail and under the harness...you could try inserting a rubber in between them first to test it out...if the rattling sounds disappears then that's the problem...
x2
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tonyboy
no way thats the final install, there are a bunch of connectors disconnected ect.... the car wouldnt run the way it currently is. Not one injector is plugged in....
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

No, I took the picture in the middle of the install. I just wanted to show how I mounted the metal injector retainer clips from underneath the injectors toward the top of the engine. The clips have a more positive fit to the OEM fuel rail since they have slots that lock into a reveal on the OEM supply tubes (for lack of a better term). On the AMS rail the tubes are one diameter with no reveal so there is no way for the clips to lock on. I'm not sure if this is causing the vibration but it could be a likely candidate.

I can take some close ups once I take it back apart to replace my injectors to the DW1000s for my E85 tune.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

You can see on the Cosworth rail they have machined reveals so the clips make a positive connection. The AMS does not have this. They are just round all the way so the clips have nothing to snap on to.
Attached Thumbnails AMS Fuel Rail Noises-cosworth20005241_2.jpg  
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by delkat
They are just round all the way so the clips have nothing to snap on to.
I was wondering if the Cosworth was worth the extra coin. I have an AMS waiting to be installed but I guess that answers the question.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

I kinda doubt AMS 'forgot' to make the bevels if they are really required. Hopefully they will chime in.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

seems like a pretty worthwhile mod when all it does is cause problems and questions and the stock rail can flow up to 500-600hp LOL
Old Sep 29, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by J5isalive2
no way thats the final install, there are a bunch of connectors disconnected ect.... the car wouldnt run the way it currently is. Not one injector is plugged in....
well of course the connectors needs to be connected but other than that i was referring to the other lines and brackets in there...
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

After driving the car more today it's almost like the noise is being amplified through the fuel line. There's a squeeky sound that happens every time i touch the throttle off idle and it sounds hollow like it's resonating through the cabin. Maybe there's something going on in the fuel pressure regulator. Could be the diaphram be rubbing against something internally and making noises that are travelling through the fuel line??
Old Sep 30, 2009, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by J5isalive2
when all it does is cause problems and questions and the stock rail can flow up to 500-600hp LOL
Well, this is the first report of concerns that I've read...I think that AMS has sold quite a few rails. The stock rail flows well enough on pump but maybe not on E85 in high hp motors. I bought mine for bling.

Last edited by mlomker; Sep 30, 2009 at 04:53 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

I'm converting to E85 with an upgraded turbo so I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade the fuel rail. In addition the -6 fuel line that comes with the AMS rail made it easy to plumb a Russell in-line filter (since the Walbro upgrade eliminates the in-tank filter).

With the windows up sitting still, the car sounds like a diesel from inside the cabin. Maybe it has something to do with the filter??

I will probably have to swap everyting back to stock to take care of the fuel return line Recall so I can check everything out when it comes apart again.
Attached Thumbnails AMS Fuel Rail Noises-lowres30002.jpg  
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

The only reason I can see the need for clips is for assembly at the factory when putting the fuel rail onto the engine. We didn't make provisions for them simply because they are not needed.

Also like delkat mentioned our rail not only is larger but it also allows for the install of aftermarket fuel pressure regulators and filters. Not to mention it looks pretty spiffy.

As for the sounds I don't know what to tell you, injectors do make a slight clicking noise because of how they operate and in some cases the aftermarket injectors will be louder. However I have installed a couple of our fuel rails here and didn't experience any noticeable increase in noise. Double check to make sure everything is tight and installed correctly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AMS Fuel Rail Noises