Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS Fuel Rail Noises

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2009, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you shouldnt have installed your fuel rail cause they are recalling all 08 09 evo ralliart sports back that has a turbo.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

what does a fuel rail installation have to do with a recall anyways?
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going in Monday to have mine done and while I am at it replacing the potentially faulty fuel pump relay i.e., replace OEM relay ACV31212 (Black) with new OEM relay, ACM32221(Green); if this relay is faulty the fuel pump does NOT deliver enough fuel and AFR can reach as high as 13 or more at WOT. Additionally, I heard from the parts manager that there is a TSB on this relay but was unable to find it. Does anybody know what this TSB says and whether Mitsu will replace under warranty.

Later, Ken
Edit: OOppps... this post belongs here:https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...pe-recall.html

Last edited by KPerez; Oct 3, 2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

Already checked with the dealer. Since it's a recall they have to do the service no matter what. I'm a good customer (bought 4 new Evo's since 2003) and they are very reasonable when it comes to mods. The fuel rail shouldn't change their process for adding the brackets for the return line.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well I installed my new fuel rail. AMS Red Version. I have to say that I did indeed notice a increase in a sound. Not a metal vs metal sound, just like a amplification of resonance of the injectors. I have the DW800cc and I am not sure if it is the injectors that making the clicking sound. I know all injectors make a clicking sound.

I don't hear the sound while driving, just while idling. It is louder under idle. However, you do not hear the sound from the engine bay or with the windows open. Just while I am idling there is a slight sound increase from the engine bay.

I tried looked at all the connection, looked if anything was hitting anything. Re-tightened all the bolts and connections. Still makes the same sound. Can't notice it with the music on.

No big deal really, I'll get used to it and not even notice it's there later on.

GOOD News... the new fuel rail I noticed made my car richer. Yes as well now it backfires a bit more now. I am pretty sure that more fuel is available at the injectors, which means it is doing it's job properly. As well as it very eye appealing, BLING!

Caveat... with the recent fuel return line recall one bracket is hitting the fuel rail if it is not bent a bit more. It is the new front bracket located to the right of the two bolts that hold the return line bolted to the fuel rail. You have unscrew the bracket, put it in a vice and give it a few wacks with a hammer to give it a bit more bend so it will clear the AMS fuel rail. That is the only issue I noticed as far as install.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

I also noticed a small fuel leak today coming from the stock return line It is from the hose coming off the FPR going into the fuel return line. The fuel was leaking past the OEM spring clamp. I replaced it with a worm gear clamp and it fixed the fuel leak issue. The fuel lines should not have those POS Mitsu clamps.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
Well I installed my new fuel rail. AMS Red Version. I have to say that I did indeed notice a increase in a sound.
You must have a quiet exhaust. I also installed the (black) AMS rail and DW800's last Thursday. I'm hearing a ton of clicking from my engine bay but it seems to be coming from the 3-port that I installed, not the injectors.

My 3-port vents to atmosphere rather than into the turbo inlet. I kinda like the sound.

I've actually decided to do an E85 conversion and just ordered the DW1000's instead (yup, I'm dumb for not doing that in the first place). 50hp is tough to pass up, tho.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, the exhaust is not too loud. I like it this way I wish we had E85 readily available here in OH. But, we don't best we have is 93/94 and a 100 octane a few miles away from the house.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by J5isalive2
seems like a pretty worthwhile mod when all it does is cause problems and questions and the stock rail can flow up to 500-600hp LOL
A decade late...but

No. The stock rail will not flow 600hp, or even 500hp worth of fuel @ 3bar (43psi) fuel pressure. Even with increased pressure this is a stretch and would be overworking the fuel pump. The main issue is the inlet that's necked down really small where it enters the rail.

Take a look at this EvoX Group N rally car. Notice one of the few modified items on the engine is the inlet of the fuel rail (@ 4:54). -
Group N is the 'showroom class' meaning this car doesn't have much for power modifications, so why modify the fuel rail if it's got 200+ hp of headroom?

Last edited by turbonick; Jan 14, 2019 at 07:43 AM.