Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Odd RPM matching noise inside cabin

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2016, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd RPM matching noise inside cabin

So,

I just did a few things to my car, I don't believe any of them would cause this to occur but what I did was add a new Radium fuel rail and also clean the plastic undercarriage covers.

Anyway.

I have this odd noise, almost like a "tick" noise going on.
It doesn't seem to be injectors.
It doesn't seem to be low oil/cams so on.
The noise seems to match RPM's
I can't hear the noise when outside of the car. I have tried listening from the engine bay, from laying down on both sides of the car and also the front of the car.
I can only hear the noise when inside the cabin with the windows up.
This noise, also has another thing that occurs, however i'm not sure if it is related.
When I touch the throttle, when stationary in neutral. There is almost a "woosh/sucking" noise going on. It only happens the split second after I touch the throttle, it almost seems like there is a delay as well to when I activate the throttle until the motor starts to rev(This could be in my mind and its possible this has always been there.)

Along with the woosh/suck when i push the throttle in, I have a little whistle that occurs after letting off of the throttle.
I suppose this could be the diverter valve slamming shut and then opening again but i'm not sure.

My main concern is this odd noise that I can not pinpoint.

I will post a video tomorrow as I'm extremely tired right now.

The really odd part, is this ticking noise, it almost seems like it is exhaust related, but it just started after changing my fuel rail.

The only things that I did during this time was unplugging the wiring loom on the motor that went over-top of the valve cover and such. I also removed the top portion of my UICP. And I removed my Diverter Valve and piping. And cleaned undercarriage covers.

I double checked, all connections appear to be plugged in as far as I can see. I will double check tomorrow. Car seems to drive perfectly fine. Idles perfectly fine.

Car sounded fine when it went up on the jacks, and when it came down off of them, it sounds weird now.
Old May 11, 2016, 07:38 PM

i have heard of something similar some time ago after installing new fuel rail/injectors.

turned out to be a vibration harmonic in the fuel line (from fuel pressure pulses) causing the fuel line to vibrate just below the driver's seat.

try wrapping it in felt tape and see if there is an improvement. If that seems to be the issue, snag a pulse damper. Radium sells one that mounts directly onto the rail.
Old May 11, 2016, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Spazm
i have heard of something similar some time ago after installing new fuel rail/injectors.

turned out to be a vibration harmonic in the fuel line (from fuel pressure pulses) causing the fuel line to vibrate just below the driver's seat.

try wrapping it in felt tape and see if there is an improvement. If that seems to be the issue, snag a pulse damper. Radium sells one that mounts directly onto the rail.
Hey.

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to update this.

Yeah turns out that is what it seemed to be, just some vibrations.

I have the pulse damper and it still does it.

It just freaked me out sounding like a big ol diesel while sitting idle haha.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 07:13 AM

I recently installed a Radium fuel rail and Deatschwerks 1100's and also had a loud 'diesel' like sound from what sounded like the factory hard fuel line resonating. After a day, one of the DW injectors had an issue and stuck open (filling a cylinder and crankcase with fuel!), so I switched back to the stock injectors while waiting on new injectors (still using the radium rail/line). I was surprised to hear the same sound with the stock injectors! After much searching/reading online I came across several posts like this, most of which blame the upgraded fuel rail for the noise. I also ordered and installed the Radium Pulse Damper, however there was little effect on the noise.

I was sitting in the garage one evening and looked at the factory fuel line sitting on the bench. I noticed it comes straight out of the factory hard line, makes a gentle 180 and then continues on to the rail. The radium line takes a 90 directly off the hard line, making it a straight shot to the fuel rail. Why did Mitsubishi run the line the way they did? It isn't for clearance as nothing is in the way. I suspected Mitsu did this specifically to reduce injector noise.

I ordered 3' of Russell Twist Lok hose, 1 straight fitting and 1 45 fitting (6an) and built a new line. My new line (like the factory) comes straight out of the hard line, makes a gentle 180 back down and continues to the rail. The sound is now gone, completely.

So...don't blame the fuel rail when the line is at fault.

Last edited by turbonick; Jan 14, 2019 at 07:26 AM.