Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X Fuel Return Pipe Recall

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:10 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
It's worth pointing out that I am having the recall done right now, and they are also doing a AWC reflash TSB. I wasn't aware of this, totally cool with it though.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
It's worth pointing out that I am having the recall done right now, and they are also doing a AWC reflash TSB. I wasn't aware of this, totally cool with it though.
Would you mind asking them what the sb is addressing? IE what issue? They may not even know.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 03:13 PM
EvoM Community Team

I asked the tech, he wasn't sure. He just did the recoding because it is a TSB. He used a general line like "improved efficiency".
Old Oct 2, 2009, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry for the noob question, but what is "TSB"?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 07:32 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah they wouldn't let me do it myself and take the parts...it was easy took the tech 20 minutes
Old Oct 2, 2009, 08:28 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by evoluXrichie
sorry for the noob question, but what is "TSB"?
Technical Service Bulletin. It's basically a behind the scenes announcement from the manufacturer to all of their dealerships. Perhaps some number of cars experience a problem that isn't serious enough to do a recall for for, but enough that it will give advice to the dealerships to fix it when they come across the symptoms.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by svt04cobra
I to just had the recall done today. I asked if it was a problem If I had mods and they said NO. All stealerships are different but unless your going in for a problem with your car and it could be caused by a mod there is no issue. Even if you replaced your motor but are using the stock fuel rail and hardware (not that anyone would) they would have to replace it for you free of charge due to the liability. Obviously I was being facetious but you get the just of what I'm saying. Anyone with mods is good to go!!!!!!!!

yo what dealership did you go to, i live like half an hour south of you.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

The AWC flash is in regards to cold weather operation of the system for certain cars produced early on in the cycle. Theres more info in the TSB sticky.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Just had my fuel return line replaced at dealership and all that was done was add another bracket for this piece of the line so now there are 4 instead of 3 support brackets; seems like it would have taken one hell of a "vibration" to get the original line to "crack" but what do I know. Also, had the fuel pump relay replaced ,also compliments of Mitsu; apparently there has been stalling problems associated with this relay and therefore the warranty replacement; they did not state/recognize that the relay has caused very lean (10.9) conditions @WOT due to its failure. Point here is, go and have the OEM (black) relay (ACV31212) replaced by the new OEM (green) relay (ACM32221) under warranty just to be safe.

Later, Ken
Old Oct 5, 2009, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
apparently there has been stalling problems associated with this relay and therefore the warranty replacement; they did not state/recognize that the relay has caused very lean (10.9) conditions @WOT due to its failure.
10.9 is really rich still not lean. The failing relay does indeed cause wicked leaning out of the AFR but it's more like 14-16:1 @ WOT.

Regarding the recall fix, it was about $560 worth of parts according to my invoice. I got the fix done yesterday in about 30minutes with no problems at Don Herring.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

[quote=08 Evo X MR;7572265]yo what dealership did you go to, i live like half an hour south of you.[/quote

I sent you a pm.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverEvoX
10.9 is really rich still not lean. The failing relay does indeed cause wicked leaning out of the AFR but it's more like 14-16:1 @ WOT.

Regarding the recall fix, it was about $560 worth of parts according to my invoice. I got the fix done yesterday in about 30minutes with no problems at Don Herring.
While it is true, 10.9 AFR does not seem very high, it did result in significant knock: This from Looney Tuning-
"I am writing this as a warning to those who own an Evo X. There has been a couple of threads on Evom about Evo Xs that are running lean on the stock tune at WOT. I have not encountered that until recently. I was baselining SpunkySandoval's Evo X for a tune and the car was running unusually lean ...

I have never seen such a lean AFR on the stock tune. The lean AFR and the advanced stock timing made the car register 10-14 counts of knock by redline. The owner and I surmised that this was a fuel related problem. The car was not getting the needed fuel during WOT operation."
I am not a tuner but it appears that both AFR and knock have to be considered when evaluating fuel adequacy at WOT.

Later, Ken
Old Oct 7, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Just got mine done yesterday along with the AWC reflash
Old Oct 7, 2009, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Also, had the fuel pump relay replaced ,also compliments of Mitsu; apparently there has been stalling problems associated with this relay and therefore the warranty replacement; they did not state/recognize that the relay has caused very lean (10.9) conditions @WOT due to its failure.
Ken, what was the symptom you gave them for the relay replacement? Were you having stalling issues?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 08:43 AM
EvoM Community Team

While it is true, 10.9 AFR does not seem very high, it did result in significant knock: This from Looney Tuning-
"I am writing this as a warning to those who own an Evo X. There has been a couple of threads on Evom about Evo Xs that are running lean on the stock tune at WOT. I have not encountered that until recently. I was baselining SpunkySandoval's Evo X for a tune and the car was running unusually lean ...

I have never seen such a lean AFR on the stock tune. The lean AFR and the advanced stock timing made the car register 10-14 counts of knock by redline. The owner and I surmised that this was a fuel related problem. The car was not getting the needed fuel during WOT operation."
I am not a tuner but it appears that both AFR and knock have to be considered when evaluating fuel adequacy at WOT.

Later, Ken
I believe that was because of a bad fuel relay. To see you swap your high beams with the fuel relay in the fuse box and look at your headlights. If they flicker or go off after some time, you have a bad fuel relay.

Quick Reply: Evo X Fuel Return Pipe Recall