Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS 650HP EVO X Fuel System In The Works!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will be interesting to see the instructions so we can get a better idea of what's included. The E85 guys (self-included) will need to change out the OEM in-tank lines. Most of us have already done this while upgrading to a Walbro in-tank.

The question is can we add this kit to what we already did in the tank to support an upgraded turbo.

I would also like to understand the control logic. Is the in-line pump full on all the time or is it triggered by boost/MAF, etc.?

Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
Any more pics of the bits and pieces of the kit...
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

A Walbro in-tank pump wouldn't hurt, obviously it will raise the base pressure but it overall will be a higher flowing setup.

If you install the kit by the included instructions the inline pump is turned on whenever the factory pump is on. However if you would like you can turn the inline pump relay on however you would like, there are many options.

Originally Posted by delkat
It will be interesting to see the instructions so we can get a better idea of what's included. The E85 guys (self-included) will need to change out the OEM in-tank lines. Most of us have already done this while upgrading to a Walbro in-tank.

The question is can we add this kit to what we already did in the tank to support an upgraded turbo.

I would also like to understand the control logic. Is the in-line pump full on all the time or is it triggered by boost/MAF, etc.?

Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Excellent! This is an awesome solution for the less ambitious. lol. I hate changing in-tank pumps on my Mitsubishis... ugh.

I'll be ordering one of these with my new FP Red for xmas. Thanks developing this AMS!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scott@AMS
ALSO, I wanted to let you guys know this kit will not be affected in any way if the fuel pump relay fails like we have seen on a couple EVO X's. The inline pump will flow the same amount no matter if the fuel pump relay is on or off.
Hey I'm a little confused by this... this is a two-pump setup in series, right? Pump laws alone would state that the first pump raises net positive suction head at the inlet of the second pump, allowing the second pump to flow even more.

With the first pump at whatever reduced voltage is (9V?) when the relay fails, not only is it not providing its own full potential discharge pressure but it drops the efficiency of the second, inline pump, as well.

It's been years since learning fluid flow, but even the basics say that it's not possible for the resulting pressure at the injectors to be unaffected by the fuel pump relay failure, unless you specifically tune the car expecting to NEVER get the full voltage to the stock fuel pump.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

You sir are correct, it was a mistake on my part to say it would be completely unaffected by the first pump running at 9 volt's. I have since edited my post. It seems like having that relay failure is a bad situation all around, we are going to be selling the revised one here soon.

Originally Posted by Frankiago
Hey I'm a little confused by this... this is a two-pump setup in series, right? Pump laws alone would state that the first pump raises net positive suction head at the inlet of the second pump, allowing the second pump to flow even more.

With the first pump at whatever reduced voltage is (9V?) when the relay fails, not only is it not providing its own full potential discharge pressure but it drops the efficiency of the second, inline pump, as well.

It's been years since learning fluid flow, but even the basics say that it's not possible for the resulting pressure at the injectors to be unaffected by the fuel pump relay failure, unless you specifically tune the car expecting to NEVER get the full voltage to the stock fuel pump.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scott@AMS
You sir are correct, it was a mistake on my part to say it would be completely unaffected by the first pump running at 9 volt's. I have since edited my post. It seems like having that relay failure is a bad situation all around, we are going to be selling the revised one here soon.
Ok cool no problem. Glad you didn't get to the point of an upset customer quoting you on this being a fix for the fuel pump relay issue.

Got my green relay there a week or so ago
Old Nov 16, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Still, it's good to know that if you have a Walbro Inline always running at full tilt the effect of the stock "helper" pump dropping from 14v to 9v would be less drastic as compared to running on the stock pump at 9v alone. Granted if you were pushing the capacity to the edge it would still be a bad situation, glad AMS is open to looking at all the possibilities. I'm thinking my relay is due for replacement with an updated version really soon.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Exactly.

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Still, it's good to know that if you have a Walbro Inline always running at full tilt the effect of the stock "helper" pump dropping from 14v to 9v would be less drastic as compared to running on the stock pump at 9v alone. Granted if you were pushing the capacity to the edge it would still be a bad situation, glad AMS is open to looking at all the possibilities. I'm thinking my relay is due for replacement with an updated version really soon.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:00 PM

hey just wondering...now if the pump is for 550-600 hp then would there be any detrimental effects on installing it in a 300-500hp evo x? I'm a nube i know, gotta start somewhere...please very curious thinking about installing it in the future...
Old Apr 14, 2010, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

It would be fine. We just labeled it for the limits its capable of.

Originally Posted by boldaserick
hey just wondering...now if the pump is for 550-600 hp then would there be any detrimental effects on installing it in a 300-500hp evo x? I'm a nube i know, gotta start somewhere...please very curious thinking about installing it in the future...
Old Apr 14, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

hell ya if the price is decent im in
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

this is pretty cool, keep up the good work.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/a...-fuel-kit.html
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Perfect. Thanks Scott.

So what do you suggest for the relay failure? Is it easy to bypass the relay? I hate to cut my harness apart

Last edited by DRAG; Apr 15, 2010 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply: AMS 650HP EVO X Fuel System In The Works!