Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exhaust fitment issue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2010, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust fitment issue

Ive been running an apexi dp with a speed circuit test pipe for about 3 months with no issues. I finally got my T1R catback the other day and installed it. Pretty soon after, a vibration started near the driveshaft channel under the body. I checked it out today and noticed the exhaust is hitting into the driveshaft heat shield that wraps around the hangers where joint 2 and 3 are. I was able to take car of where joint 2 was hitting, but didnt realize joint 3 was an issue until I took it off the jack stands and drove it. This isnt a big issue or anything, I was just curious if anyone else has had this or know of this problem. Im assuming it has something to do with the way the tp is lining up with the center pipe.

Last edited by kirk212; Jan 27, 2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Pic? Are you sure the test pipe in on the right way?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 07:10 AM

The DP and TP are def orientated correctly. If they werent, the stock catback wouldnt have fit. I checked about 10 times to make sure all the bends in the T1R catback mimicked those of the stock exhaust. Maybe T1R just doesnt mate well with a speed circuit TP.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah this is an issue with the test pipes that run strait instead of with a bend in them.

Here is your solution
Old Jan 28, 2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ►EvolutionX◄
Yeah this is an issue with the test pipes that run strait instead of with a bend in them.

Here is your solution
Hey thanks for the reply. Yea it seems like we came across the same problem. A couple days ago I removed the one stud completely and I was able to still retain the heat shield. The next heat shield going towards the back, I just removed completely because that looked very close as well. The problem seems to have gone away about 97% of the time. Since removing the stud, and the other shield on Tues its happened once. I think Im pretty good, except it still is pretty close to joint #3. The Speed Circuit TP I have has a bend in it, much like the ETS. So I dont know.... I think its just an overall fitment issue between SC and T1R. It seems like if the bend in the TP was just a little less severe, I would be totally cool. But for now, Ill live with it. When it happened last night, I just kind of rocked the car around and it stopped. Im contemplating trying out another TP or HFC and just selling this speed circuit pipe. But I really dont feel like loosing any money on it either.

Last edited by kirk212; Jan 28, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A question for you

Was it like a really annoying vibration at times (like the exhaust hittin the stud)

And now its just a tinking rattle that you cant feel, but can hear?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 03:18 PM

Before I removed the stud, there was a definite vibration and buzzing sound while the car was stopped for more than 30 seconds. The vibration wasnt too crazy, but def noticeable. And since fixing it, Ive noticed the exhaust tone is smoother and the interior panels dont vibrate as much. It didnt happen all day today or yesterday...... so hopefully Im good.