Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

WARNING / HOW TO: Fuel Line Return (High Pressure)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, I wonder if Blaqops modifies these things. I don't have any problems with my double pumper/upgraded relay/1000cc and my AFPR. It holds right at 45psi (stockish fuel pressure) at idle.

Interesting find though.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yep interesting find indeed...subscribed..
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Okay, I did more research. I think I came with a severe issue.

If you drill this hole out to 5/16" it will be way too large.
Name:  2010-03-08193511.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  54.2 KB

It will cause not enough pressure to be driverted to the hole that connects to the blue connector on the fuel assembly holder. So what does this mean? It means that blue connector causes a "swirling effect"/"venturi pump effect" which will not suck fuel the other side of the tank. Meaning you will run out of fuel 1/4th to 1/3" tank of fuel left. Scary on the highway.

The porting does not effect this effect. However, removing that restrictor does.

The fix is to get some aluminum rod. cut about .125" off drill a 5/65th" hole in the middle, then start filing away the sides to make it fit the hole. Luckily if you used a 5/16th earlier, it leaves a step, which now inturn you can insert the restrictor pill and press it in. Solves the issue and restores the venturi pump effect intank.
Old May 14, 2010, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to follow up on this... I got my fuel pressure regulator hooked up today.

When I first hooked it up I was running 100PSI!

No matter what I did to the FPR it wouldn't go lower.

I pulled the fuel pump housing again and pulled the little filter. It was completely clogged (likely with stuff from the fuel pump sock). Pulled that and drilled out the return orifice to 5/64. Now my base fuel pressure is 48ish which I'm fine with.

Now I'm guessing I get to retune! Fun stuff!
Old May 16, 2010, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Just to follow up on this... I got my fuel pressure regulator hooked up today.

When I first hooked it up I was running 100PSI!

No matter what I did to the FPR it wouldn't go lower.

I pulled the fuel pump housing again and pulled the little filter. It was completely clogged (likely with stuff from the fuel pump sock). Pulled that and drilled out the return orifice to 5/64. Now my base fuel pressure is 48ish which I'm fine with.

Now I'm guessing I get to retune! Fun stuff!
Yes! It is a serious issue! I am sure more cars are running with 100 psi plus fuel pressure.

Thanks for posting up goofy.
Old May 16, 2010, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ya, definitely need to retune. The car is expecting 100psi+, so it's running super lean. I'm seeing STFT of 20%+ (after resetting the trims). Got P0171 (system lean) so I'm having to be super granny around town .

I bet this explains why when I was trying to tune it myself a few months ago I couldn't get it to lean up. No matter how much fuel I added in the map, under boost it would always stay at a certain AFR (like 11.8, remember I'm on E85). I wonder if there's more powah in there

I'm scheduled for a retune on Thursday @ Cobb Plano, so we'll see what comes out of it.
Old May 16, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Subscribed for future review
Old May 17, 2010, 05:28 AM

On EDM cars this little fuel filter is not fitted in return pipe.
Upgrading the in tank pump to higher flow doesn't alter fuel press.
No drilling needed.
Does the USDM cars have map sensor for the fuel tank?
Old May 17, 2010, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sub'd for later.
Old May 17, 2010, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
I know in 2g dsm's, once the fuel pump is upgraded, you need to drill a larger hole somewhere. Its on part due to having a saddlebag fuel tank.
It is in part of not having a large enough fuel return line.

It has been about 6 years since I upgraded mine, but I think I used 3/8" brake line to replace what was there stock. NO drilling required.
Old May 17, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by murlo26
Hmmm, I wonder if Blaqops modifies these things.
You could email him. He replaces the return line hose but I assume it is connecting to the same return within the housing.

As long as you have a gauge you can monitor this. I assume that running those pressures would make the car difficult to tune and probably burn up the pump sooner than later.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

I had the same 100psi fuel pressure issue when upgrading to a aeromotive FPR, -6an line, fuel rail ect.. had to go from -6an to -4an for the return and the pressure was soo high it started leaking at the fuel pump housing. Now that I hear about the fuel return filter im gonna see if the evo 8 has one also. This whole time I thought maybe the larger feed lines and then the small return was causing too much back pressure.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BuiltS13
I had the same 100psi fuel pressure issue when upgrading to a aeromotive FPR, -6an line, fuel rail ect.. had to go from -6an to -4an for the return and the pressure was soo high it started leaking at the fuel pump housing. Now that I hear about the fuel return filter im gonna see if the evo 8 has one also. This whole time I thought maybe the larger feed lines and then the small return was causing too much back pressure.
Typically, if the Feed is a single 6AN then a return should be a 4AN, if a feed is a 8AN then a 6AN return is the proper size. If you run a very high output pump then you can run same size feed 8/8, etc...
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
Typically, if the Feed is a single 6AN then a return should be a 4AN, if a feed is a 8AN then a 6AN return is the proper size. If you run a very high output pump then you can run same size feed 8/8, etc...

Good to know man thanks! Last night I had another stock evo8 housing laying around so I took the T fitting off and used a 1/4 drill bit not thinking about the Bernoulli effect so after I took the pump out of the car and inspected the T fitting and it had some weird gunk stuck in it so I think ill take it back out again and mod that one with the proper 5/64s drill bit and install my aeromotive fpr, 6an lines, fuel rail and 6an to 4an return line.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BuiltS13
Good to know man thanks! Last night I had another stock evo8 housing laying around so I took the T fitting off and used a 1/4 drill bit not thinking about the Bernoulli effect so after I took the pump out of the car and inspected the T fitting and it had some weird gunk stuck in it so I think ill take it back out again and mod that one with the proper 5/64s drill bit and install my aeromotive fpr, 6an lines, fuel rail and 6an to 4an return line.
Sounds like a plan.

Yeah if you go too big, you loose the Venturi effect, which sucks fuel from other side of the tank.

Quick Reply: WARNING / HOW TO: Fuel Line Return (High Pressure)