Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Analyzing a critical engine flaw in the 4b11 by TTP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tephra
so does this show that TTP is wrong about this or that the manual is wrong? Something must be wrong if this problem has happened a lot, of course we don't know how many times it has happened.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
im not saying TTP are wrong..

I'm just showing the page from the FSM which indicates:
1) No1 ring gap should be 0.007 -> 0.011
2) No2 ring gap should be 0.028 -> 0.043
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
so does this show that TTP is wrong about this or that the manual is wrong? Something must be wrong if this problem has happened a lot, of course we don't know how many times it has happened.
The better question is: how many cars that 'failed' were completely 100% stock and how many were modified?

You give me a 100% stock car mechanically, and I can grenade that engine pretty damn quick with an improper tune or crap gas.

Generally, OEMs spend hundreds of hours endurance testing. They don't come up with the specs out of thin air. I will say that there are times they mess up; i.e. any recall. Nissan Titan overheating the trannies, previous gen Mazdaspeed 3 having engine mount failures, all the problems with the 2003 Evos, late 90s Ford Taurus cracking engine block in 60k miles, pintos blowing up, etc.

Anybody want to look up the spec for ring gap on the Evo IX 4G63? Take into account the different bore size. How about a GM Ecotec? Or Honda K20?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:08 PM
EvoM Guru

EvoIX:
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:09 PM
EvoM Guru

which ring is failing? No1 or No2?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
So the 4B11t is 0.02mm tighter than the 4G63 on ring #1. They're essentially the same though over the specificed range. Granted, the 4G63 has a slightly smaller bore.

Also, something else to think about, I think most 'aftermarket' piston ring gap specs are based on using forged pistons. Forged pistons have a different thermal expansion rate than cast pistons, reason why you have to spec your wall clearances differently.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im not saying TTP are wrong..

I'm just showing the page from the FSM which indicates:
1) No1 ring gap should be 0.007 -> 0.011
2) No2 ring gap should be 0.028 -> 0.043
right I know... i'm just asking the general question of does that mean 1 is wrong and the other isn't and if so which one is?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:49 PM
EvoM Guru

First you have to establish what is an acceptable gap.

Do we believe the 0.004" per inch of bore? - if we do then yes the 0.007" MIN range is bad

Personally I hope the guy that built my engine was slack and left 0.011 gaps hehe

The BIG problem is that this probably only occurs on modified cars... In which case Mitsubishi has no case to answer for.

It's just unfortunate that the 4b11 is less enthusiast friendly (vs the 4g63)
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atombomb33
Please post your sample of cars that led to your conclusions.

How many cars? If this is only a handful of cars, it's hardly a large enough sample to extrapolate out to all Xs produced.

What state of modification were they in? Heavily modded? Stock?

Were they properly tuned for their mods? There have been a handful of documented engine failures that are 100% from not being tuned properly.

Did the failure(s) happen during racing? Or were these daily driven cars?

Too much information isn't shared to know if this is truly a widespread issue that would cause all Evo X owners to worry, or if these are isolated incidents to certain cars with certain mods.
I agree, Im a tech at mitsubishi with an evolution cert shared with one other tech , I have vast experience and knowledge on the 4b11 and T's..Now im not gonna say that all mitsu products are great and none have issues , but if you modify anything that was designed to perform under a given tolerance with any car your gonna see issues ...

So say with any stock evo 8 , you up the boost by + 10 psi more , can you honestly say thats not gonna cause problems elsewhere in the tune? its not mitsu's fault , they built the car for that boost with that gas and that tune...when you modify for more power you have to take responsibility in errors and damage...Nonetheless Im very interested in seeing stock x engines with this issue , I havent came across any as of yet but being a tech it'd be helpful knowledge

As far as ring gap , its mainly emissions and a little extra power , its not uncommon to see that tight of a gap on turbo vehicles in this era ...the epa doesnt want smoke blowing turbo engines on the roads , standards get stricter by the year and boost goes up as well what other road would they take ?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:59 PM
EvoM Guru

lol @ the power comment...

if you want more power, then lean the damn car out

helps with emmisions too
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:17 AM
Evolving Member

lol @ the power comment...

if you want more power, then lean the damn car out

helps with emmisions too
lol I agree a leaner tune would do the same..but with a greater percent of engine damage should someone mess up, they want it fat but with tighter rings to keep blowby trapped and burned, maybe they need to redesign the egr/evap system and loosen the rings ,lol

...Mitsubishi wont risk a leaner tune for them longevity isnt a big deal with stock unmodified cars and they dont care if you break it and they know you did ...everythings about warranty claims
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbolancer02
lol I agree a leaner tune would do the same..but with a greater percent of engine damage should someone mess up, they want it fat but with tighter rings to keep blowby trapped and burned, maybe they need to redesign the egr/evap system and loosen the rings ,lol

...Mitsubishi wont risk a leaner tune for them longevity isnt a big deal with stock unmodified cars and they dont care if you break it and they know you did ...everythings about warranty claims

Come on man my car off the show room floor was so damn rich it would choke it's self in fuel. No reason a stock car should get afr's into the 9's
Old Mar 18, 2010, 01:53 AM
Evolved Member

If the piston gap is incorrect, and is causing these issues, would aftermarket pistons solve this problem?
Old Mar 18, 2010, 02:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by hotdog
If the piston gap is incorrect, and is causing these issues, would aftermarket pistons solve this problem?
technically all you need todo is to grind the ring gap out a bit (experts correct me??)

BUT if you have pulled the piston out....

you might as well bore/stroke out to 5.7L V8 :P
Old Mar 18, 2010, 02:24 AM
Evolved Member

Hell yes, drop an LS7 crank, titanium rods and venolia pistons in that bad boy! =P

Quick Reply: Analyzing a critical engine flaw in the 4b11 by TTP