Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rexpeed DP vs AMS widemouth DP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2010, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rexpeed DP vs AMS widemouth DP

I am getting a turbo back exhaust. I have decided on the Harmon Motive single exit, and I already have the SC test pipe so down pipe back is taken care of. I am between getting the Rexpeed DP cuz its cheap, or the AMS one cuz its cast and gains are proven.

I am wondering are the gains on the AMS proven signiciantly more so than its competitors? Even if it is, enough to warrant more than double the price?

What would you guys buy if the budget wasnt exactly "tight" but getting the AMS meant not getting something else, like say Swift Springs?

Any constructive input with facts, dynos, and/or good reasons to support your claims. I dont want responses like "Buy AMS" unless you have something to support your statement.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 03:06 PM

I just installed the Rexpeed DP and Testpipe along with the Tomei Ti exhaust last night. The build quality of the Rexpeed pieces appear to be very good. They even smoothed out the welds and rough edges on the inside of the downpipe. It fit like OEM and I had very little trouble doing the install, until I broke a tap off in the turbo (that's another story). I guess a more accurate review would be 5000 miles from now or so. I often wondered about the the power gain comparison between the UR and Rexpeed designs vs the AMS bellmouth design. I got the Rexpeed DP & TP for $310 shipped so I couldn't pass up the deal.

I see your Pittsburgh area? Attending the meet next Sat?

Last edited by F1312T4; Apr 4, 2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by F1312T4
I see your Pittsburgh area? Attending the meet next Sat?

I plan to.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Everything I have read points to O2/DP providing gains over the stocker. While I don't completely understand the flow mechanics of it all, I can understand how the AMS one might work 'better.' However, in my case, it doesn't seem to be twice the price better, so I went with the Rexspeed one. If I were trying to squeeze every last HP/TQ out of every piece, I might have gone with the AMS, but then again it would probably take me forever to save up for all the super high-end stuff.

I can't tell you whether AMS is significantly better than Rexspeed and because of that, I would get the Rexspeed and springs if it were me.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

if it was +15hp for the ams and +10 for the rexpeed...i would pick the rexpeed because of it's price and so far good reviews. but that's purely preference...there are those, track people, who want all the hp they can squeeze out so they would get ams...and of course if i had extra money and could afford ams right off the bat i would get it too.

btw i have the rexpeed o2/dp and love it
Old Apr 4, 2010, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

yeah man i would also get the rexpeed and springs, the way i see it rexpeed is better than stock and its only a metal pipe with endplates.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

I think I am going to get the Rexpeed with Swift springs. I will be getting more for my money. Not alot of the companies are putting out tests with their O2 DP combos with other companies. Quite frankly i think its because they are afraid of the results.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

I'd get the AMS not only because its mouth is bigger but because it's cast. This way I won't have any worries of it breaking or cracking in the future.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a reason the exhaust pieces closest to the engine are cast, and that's because of heat.

Everytime you drive somewhere the turbo adapter aka "O2 housing" gets red hot and then it cools down again.

Those repeated heat cycles on ordinary stainless could eventually lead to cracks.

It's fine if you don't mind inspecting it from time to time and fixing or replacing it. If you want it to last the lifetime of the car, go for cast. That is why the AMS one is cast.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Did anyone look at this?

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=3217&rsku=6721

How is this different from the AMS piece? Anyone care to educate?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lowkey
There's a reason the exhaust pieces closest to the engine are cast, and that's because of heat.

Everytime you drive somewhere the turbo adapter aka "O2 housing" gets red hot and then it cools down again.

Those repeated heat cycles on ordinary stainless could eventually lead to cracks.

It's fine if you don't mind inspecting it from time to time and fixing or replacing it. If you want it to last the lifetime of the car, go for cast. That is why the AMS one is cast.

The logic is sound, but somehow does not apply to aftermarket exhaust manifolds . Anybody care to explain?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by CatalystGod
The logic is sound, but somehow does not apply to aftermarket exhaust manifolds . Anybody care to explain?
The AMS one will be cast. Same logic.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CatalystGod
SS cracks.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Speaking of heat, i believe that the AMS DP either works with the stock heat shields, or AMS can provide heat shields that fit. That is important as heat in the back of the engine is already pretty high. Unless you wrap the DP, all of that radiant heat will gather back there. Even if you wrap it, i do not know if it would compare to the results of using a heat shield.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR. Tim
Speaking of heat, i believe that the AMS DP either works with the stock heat shields, or AMS can provide heat shields that fit. That is important as heat in the back of the engine is already pretty high. Unless you wrap the DP, all of that radiant heat will gather back there. Even if you wrap it, i do not know if it would compare to the results of using a heat shield.
The stock heat shields fit right back on! I did this install about 3 weeks a weeks ago it fits just like stock and makes way more power. Cant go wrong with the AMS DP!

Quick Reply: Rexpeed DP vs AMS widemouth DP