Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Raw fuel smell when driving

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also had a really strong raw fuel smell come into the cabin with my AC was on today. I live in Vegas and it was 100+ degrees today. I checked underneath the car, I checked the engine bay and no smell, I checked the dipstick to make sure the O ring wasn't blown, and nothing. I did notice that smell seem to be strong near my gas cap.

I talked to someone and he suggested it could be a vapor canister. It was explained to me on most modern cars a vapor canister collects gas fumes when the vapor pressure is to high in the tank. The vapor canister either vents to atmosphere or redirects it to the engine. I haven't confirmed in the Evo X service manual if we have one, but I can believe this theory because today I smelled a strong gas smell in my wife's Mazda 3.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:08 AM

someone holler at mitsubishi and help us get peace of mind
lol
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

my car does the same thing. I haven't really tried to troubleshoot yet.
but i run E85 so the fume smell kinda good. lol
Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
mayb its the burning under the rear seat problem thats causing the smell?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 01:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by linjy2
my car does the same thing. I haven't really tried to troubleshoot yet.
but i run E85 so the fume smell kinda good. lol
rofl!!! yeah smells like toasted corn?

no its not the burning back seat smell. I guess its easy to joke about it until you actually smell the damn thing. it is really bad.

interesting about the vapor canister... might have to check that out.

mitsubishi techs just say "huhhh" I don't know..."
Old Jul 9, 2010, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

When you get the strong fuel smell, open your trunk and take a sniff and see how strong it is in the trunk compared to the cabin. Even though there really isnt too much seperating the two, there is a panel filter in the trunk that is supposed to let the trunk breath, but since its right over the gas tank... you may have the fumes escaping the tank vent since its so hot and going right up into the trunk vent and then into the cabin.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 09:22 AM

I have that same problem with my 2010 evo, somedays it come on strong especially on hot days in traffic. Then it will go away later. It's driving me crazy, someone please figure this out!!
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nummeister
I have that same problem with my 2010 evo, somedays it come on strong especially on hot days in traffic. Then it will go away later. It's driving me crazy, someone please figure this out!!
yeah it comes on and goes off... but when it comes on, smells terrible, alot like gasoline.

spy007: no, tested this, the smell is coming out of the FRONT AIR VENTS. it comes from the FRONT of the car and thru the vents with the air on or off...so ???

Yes someone should answer about this problem.

Last edited by alphawav; Jul 10, 2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:41 AM

I don't Fudging know... I can't take it anymore, I just need to leave the windows up and a/c I don't smell anything in the trunk area but I only smell the gas when I'm moving. I am going to heat up the car and try and locate this issue.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alphawav
yeah it comes on and goes off... but when it comes on, smells terrible, alot like gasoline.

spy007: no, tested this, the smell is coming out of the FRONT AIR VENTS. it comes from the FRONT of the car and thru the vents with the air on or off...so ???

Yes someone should answer about this problem.
Front air vents (or nearby area), AC off, warm/hot weather, no loose hoses or wet hoses... correct?

If so, the front end of the car is a closed system for fuel. There are no vents or open return lines/catch cans. The only venting for the car is in the rear where the fuel tank is.

Best bets are to ensure that you have done the recall on your evo (fuel line) and then trace all fuel lines to ensure that they arent leaking. Follow from the fuel rail and injectors back to the tank (doing so after a drive on a hot day as to avoid the line cooling and shrinking back to size). This will eliminate the fuel leak theory entirely.
After you have eliminated the fuel leak theory, move on to the exhaust theory. I know it sounds ridiculous, but you may have unburned fuel in your exhaust from running rich and could be smelling it as it ignites in the testpipe/turbo/Cat and leaking out.
Thats really it.... as long as you have already ruled out the fuel tank venting near the rear of the car, then there isnt much you can check. Just remember the neck of the fuel tank also vents (where you fill it up at) and may seep into the cabin. Its not supposed to, but it can.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:48 AM

I have no recall on mine, since it's 2010 model but still get that fuel smell. I'm going to take it to the dealership and see if they can figure it out.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 04:14 PM

Still looking for this gas leak....i get in windows up or down....ac on or off...recir on or off....I smell gas if I drive my car in this heat......Reid Vapor Pressure looks good, the recall on fuel line is good and nothing leaking from there and the exhaust isnt smelling any worst than normal.....i hope someone can find out what the issue is...so i can drive my car
Old Jul 16, 2010, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chewyobaca
Still looking for this gas leak....i get in windows up or down....ac on or off...recir on or off....I smell gas if I drive my car in this heat......Reid Vapor Pressure looks good, the recall on fuel line is good and nothing leaking from there and the exhaust isnt smelling any worst than normal.....i hope someone can find out what the issue is...so i can drive my car
Your best bet is to take it in to a shop.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:32 PM

Hey guys I had the same problem today. It was pretty hot out and I was out doing a bit of driving. I got home and garaged my car. Later I went in there and it smelled like gas. Got into the car and the cabin smelled like gas too.

edited to add: the car is a 2010 GSR

Last edited by ninja99; Jul 19, 2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

I smell a recall connected to this unburnt fuel smell issue (and no its not the fuel line recall).

I think the closes thing that makes sense is the car running rich and unburnt fuel for some reason (based on a design flaw) seeps into the cabin thru the ventilation system during driving in certain hot weather conditions.

Quick Reply: Raw fuel smell when driving