Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Raw fuel smell when driving

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2010, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raw fuel smell when driving

Hey guys, I was drivng back from Colorado to Las Vegas and on the way, i would turn off a/c and roll down windows to smoke, about 3/4 of the way i started smelling fuel really bad. I pulled over and couldnt smell or find any fuel leaks or signs of the issue. I get back on the highway "85mph" with windows down and raw gas...pull over and nothing so back to highway and nothing but gas again....roll up the windows...no smell with a/c on or off....my A/F gauge reading good and no loss of gas that i can tell.....well i got home and let car cool off and went for a drive with windows down and no gas smell...so its been a few days and im good untell today, i was driving around vegas doing ****...stop and go lights, and 110 or so today...so hot outside...and 2 miles from home i smell gas again....so i make it to house and pop out and inspect the car no gas leak or smell....WTF ....has anyone had this issue or know what it could be, before i blow up....would go to stealership, but they are total dicks and i am running stage 2 with mods....and i was in the dealer a few months ago and fuel line recall was done....and its not my lack of cat, i know what that smells like....this is raw fuel coming in the car at speeds of 20-80mph
Old Jul 6, 2010, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ted-evo-x.html
Old Jul 6, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been smelling fuel that last couple weeks too and can't find the source.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 02:58 PM

I've had the same issue. I have an hour and a half commute to work, and today on the way home, windows down, I also smelled raw fuel. I popped the hood when I got home and sniffed around and checked for leaks and found nothing. I checked the oil level, and it the level was perfectly normal without much of a fuel smell. Nothing in the engine bay smelled like gas, there was no visible smoking parts or issues I was aware of. The fuel smell changed several times to something slightly different, so I'm not sure if it was my car or another vehicle on the highway, but seeing as this has been a recurring issue, it's starting to get me a little bit worried.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

That sucks. I smell fuel only when standing in traffic because I have no cat. But when the car is moving the spent gases should shoot behind the car (not in the cabin). Sounds like a leak in the engine bay..
Old Jul 6, 2010, 04:57 PM

this has happened to me twice over the past two months...
no leaks, couldn't find anything...smell comes and goes... but cant find the cause
Old Jul 6, 2010, 05:14 PM

If the dealer performed the fuel line recall, you should take it back and let them check it out. Unless you have done fuel mods (pump, injectors etc) they have no grounds for refusing to check it out. You can also take a dry paper towel and follow all the lines and check for damp spots. I would do it outside in bright sunlight and not use a flashlight or smoke while I'm doing it.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

any of you guys aware of the recall that lowkey speaks of? read the link I posted.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 06:14 PM

No
Old Jul 6, 2010, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
any of you guys aware of the recall that lowkey speaks of? read the link I posted.
I've done all the recalls. And I still have that raw fuel smell in the cabin when im in Vegas and its over 100 degrees outside. I experienced it also last summer for 2 days while I was in Vegas.

It smells like really RAW and FRESH fuel, makes you cough and is quite unhealthy, as you're not supposed to breathe in raw gas fumes. needs to fix this asap. Happens only when its extremely hot outside, >100 degrees, and it happens w/ AC on or off (as OP mentioned)

I took it to the Mitsubishi of Vegas and they didn't know sh@t about it, wanted me to leave my car for "a few days" to check it out. I said 'bye' and left, but its nice to know that the problem is coming out full force this summer.

Pardon the pun, but I "smell" another recall...

to OP. - Its not your mods buddy. I have NO MODS on my car.

Last edited by alphawav; Jul 6, 2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1

Don't panic. This probably only affected earlier cars from 2008 and 2009. The newer cars would have it taken care of. There was a recall on the return fuel line and they added another bracket. This recall was handled via letter, if you did not get a letter your car was probably not affected. The OP mentioned he had this recall fix performed.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 02:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Is the fuel return line through the cabin or along the floor pan outside the car?

Where is the vent for the gas tank? Could it be possible that driving with the windows down creates wind patterns that scavenge the fumes from the vent to inside the car?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 02:49 PM

I have a 2010 MR and I get the same smell on and off. Some days it's really bad, others it's not so bad. I've noticed it with and without the windows open as well. Haven't found any sign of leaking either.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

I had the recall done and still had the fuel smell too. Turned out when I replaced the fuel rail, I reused the oem hose clips. They were weakened after taking them off once so I had to use new hose clamps that you screw tight.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DeatschWerks
Is the fuel return line through the cabin or along the floor pan outside the car?

Where is the vent for the gas tank? Could it be possible that driving with the windows down creates wind patterns that scavenge the fumes from the vent to inside the car?
no . it sounds like a good thing to check but don't think thats it. because this happens with both the windows down and up... actually, its much better with windows down because some of the raw fuel smell that comes through the vents actually goes out the window , lol!

the smell, with windows up, and with ac on or off, and recirc. air on or off, is really unbearable. its a really freaking strong raw gas smell.

awesome. finally! thanks to everyone whos posting, I don't feel like I was the one with a problem car or a sensitive nose, because several ppl are reporting it, so we should have the culprit nailed down before the end of this summer, I hope! I want this fixed.

Quick Reply: Raw fuel smell when driving