Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Raw fuel smell when driving

Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:01 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2011 mr , The first time i got had this happen to me i was in S-Sport Manual mode and changing from 1st to 2nd gear i hit the rev limiter. (new to the car and thinking at the time that i was in auto not manual) then all of a sudden i'm smelling gas.. i thought for sure that's why it had happened. Month later i'm at the track and the same thing happens with the smell. the driving instructor says it's probbaly just the gas sloshing around in the tank because its nearly full.

Ive had the car nearly 10,000km now. and it's happened 3-4 times.. i really wish i could figure it out..
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

has anyone found the cause of this yet?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

The car runs rich from factory, that's a reason.

Another reason could be that at WOT, the fuel is just dumped into the engine, so I'd expect a bit of fuel smell there.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 05:17 PM
b3n
Evolving Member

I got a very heavy fuel smell when my clutch started slipping; I assumed when it slipped the ECU compensated and dumped a ton of fuel. I'm probably wrong but I thought I'd put that out there.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:55 PM

I live in Toronto Canada. My 08 gsr has 56,000 km. Never had a problem until yesterday. Filled my tank and drove for an hour. Tank isnt full anymore at this point and I smelt it. Man was it harsh. Made me dizzy. Called the dealer they say I may have a fuel leak. They also say they have. Ever heard of this problem.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:36 AM

Well I filed my complain with Mitsu and the Gov. agency. I have had this problem over a year now and still no solid fix. I know it happens when the climate is hot (I'm in South Florida). Last week my shop smoke tested the car (yes, just getting to it) and there is strong indication that this has to do with the evaporator/fuel system. I know like a lot of us I thought if I'm driving straight ahead why would I smell something in the rear of the car, but air turbulence created is a *****. Anyway, I'm gonna replace my canister setup including the check valve that is attached to it and see what happens. I was hoping by re-visiting this forum I would have found someone that had it resolved, but I'll let you all know how it turns out. Also, I will check the flap in the trunk as well.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newly purchased 2012 WW Ralliart can be added to the list.

Although in New York temps reached 82 yesterday and was driving pretty spiritedly in Normal mode shifting about 20 miles in a smelled the raw gasoline smell.

Pulled over on highway and no leaks or smell could be noticed. As i cotinued driving not so spiritedly the smell continued. Miles per gallon was not affected, was only increased actually since at this point i activated crusie control.

By the time i reached my doctors appt, i googled and this topic came up on the forum whcih i hadnt seen before. I will be doing more searching and see what i can come up with.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Yup, still have this problem. And always when it near or at 100f ambient temp.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:39 AM

This happened to me today. Wasn't terribly hot, during my morning commute. As with most people I thought I was smelling the exhaust fumes of another car in front of me, but the smell was still apparent later. The smell was NOT as harsh as some others have complained, but very noticeable. Surprised that mitsu STILL has nothing to say about it.

I'll check the flap in the rear later today
Old May 31, 2012, 04:31 AM
Evolving Member

While this is definitely not a "fix," I've been able to keep my cabin from smelling like fuel. I got a Fresh Breeze Arm & Hammer cabin filter (I've tried several), and when I am driving around with air on recirculation, the car does not smell. Open the windows or vent from outside air and the smell is back. So it's not a fix, more of a mask really, because I cannot verify that there are no volatiles inside the cabin anymore. But the smell is not present.

This problem did not develop for me, it's been there since I bought it.
Old May 31, 2012, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

Phdoc, the thing about that is it masks, it doesn't eliminate. I have a kid that rides with me. I wouldn't care much if it's just me, I'm used to smelling gas, but I don't want my daughter, which is only 5 months old, to be inhaling fumes.

I just wish that Mitsubishi do something about this coz now I'm limited to when I'm driving around. I have to make sure the temp doesn't rise near or at 100 before I can take my daughter for a ride.

Last edited by Panda_stunter; May 31, 2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old May 31, 2012, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

This issue has been going on for 2 years and STILL no mitsu tech can figure it out?
Lemons?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so one day I'm bored and this is getting so frustrating, I took a drive.

Temp condition: 100+deg.
Normal driving, little smell
Hard driving, smells like I'm bathing in fumes.

Temp condition 2: below 99deg
Normal driving, no smell
Hard driving, little smell

But what I actually noticed other than the fact it does it when it's hot out is the fact that the smell comes out hard RIGHT AFTER every time the BOV releases pressure. Can anyone do the same thing I did and report?

I'm thinking the BOV has a lot of fumes in it and it's leaking out the fumes when it releases? A new BOV might rectify the problem?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

The smell is definitely in the cab of the car. Opened the trunk and could not smell it. Opened the hood and no smell in the engine bay either. Get back in the car and strong gas smell. I would think if it was the BOV that the engine bay would smell too, but I could be wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Raw fuel smell when driving