Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lost 1st and 2nd gear (manual) help needed again please.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2010, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost 1st and 2nd gear (manual) help needed again please.

Hi there !
Well yesterday made a 220 miles trip to the calabogie racetrack.
Ran the day on track. No problem at all (most of the time in 3rd gear and up)
Made another 60 miles to ottawa to eat, everything's was fine.
Done the other 160 miles to home, then came in town and engaging 1st and also 2nd gear were really hard. I've driven a bit then I became unable to engagne then at all. While 3rd, 4th, 5th, reverse : Worked like butter.

So started in 3rd while crying on me burning up my clutch :S, went home stopped the car. Played a bit with the lever, was able to get 2nd sometimes. Decided to let it go for the night.
This afternoon I started the car again, 1st was a bit hard but ok, 2nd needed a lot of force so I decided to not use it. Made about 4-5 stop. After that 1st and 2nd where gone again. all others work perfectly fines.

Bought the car used less than 1 year ago, 2nd always been notchy but ok when I was pushing the car.
Months ago I had a some 'clunking' noise, had the dealer open the tranny to have peace of mind, everything was fine, they replaced fluid again and no more noise. They told me 2nd notchyness was 'ok' like on a lot of other Evo. (and since a lot of ppl here have it confirmed I let it go)
After I installed a TWM Short shifter wich changed nothing with gear engagement notchyness

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx !
Thanx you
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you check your linkage cables? the 1-2 linkage might have popped out of the bushing. happened to me before. put it back in, get a new cotter pin, and call it a day
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:44 PM

well my .02 i had a trans lose 1st and 2nd altogether and had them pull it apart and it was the shift fork that broke just affecting those gears. On another occasion i was racing the car at the track and launching it at high rpm's. My first and second were extremley tough to get in but the other gears were ok, so i pulled the transmission off come to find out my clutch heated up so much it stuck itself to to the flywheel and there was no problem with the trans at all. Hope that helps
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:15 PM

Just like mentioned give a good looksy around your trans it could something very simple or it could be something internal i hope its an easy fix for you good luck.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 04:40 AM
Evolving Member

i would look around the trans area first, i had my boost gauge sensor fall and was wedge in between the linkage which gave me a hard time shifting into 4th.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:04 PM

any updates on what you found by looking around? if your not sure what your looking for maybe take a video then you can be directed from there.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 02:17 PM

i had 3 and 5 shift forks go at 900 miles.. two broken shift forks. mitsu denied the warranty claim.. at 900 miles... wtf i've driven manual trans cars 17 years.. never had any problem on any other car.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

(Well, I had written an answer 3 days ago but seems it's not there..)

I found the problem with your help, one of the two cable bushing under the hood had 2 bolt unscrewed. I put them back in place and magic it's fine again. (2nd notchyness still there, but that's ok). I'm so happy it was only that !
It seems that the dealer didn't screwed them enough when they put the tranny back in place.

Thanx a lot for your inputs !

(Steven02, I was told by local dealer in canada when I went to take some brake fluid, that when you beat the crap out of the car, the 1st and 2nd shift fork breaks 'often', dunno if it's true or not. But I agree, 900 miles wow, that's stupid !)