Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

BoostFrenzy's (Naco's) Modified AMS Shift Knob

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BoostFrenzy's (Naco's) Modified AMS Shift Knob

*Copied from another Evo Forum. Placed in this section as it is being used on an Evo X, but really it is a "General Evo" topic*

Hello guys and gals!

Almost a year ago I purchased an Evo X....and was immediately dissatisfied with the shifting feel and consistency. I went through and changed all the bushings and it got better. Then added an AMS Delrin shift knob and although it is light weight, the height of the knob made shifting a little better. I recently added a TWM shifter cage replacement setup and it helped very much with precision. But, it really brought to light the shift knobs weight problem. I could have very well just went and bought a heavy metal shift knob from literally ANY vender and it would have worked just fine. But one of the reasons I went with the AMS in the first place was because it was made of delrin. And delrin doesn't retain heat like a metal shift knob would (Had a VERY heavy Skunk2 knob on my DSM and it boiled the paint on the H-pattern!). So I devised a solution.

I gathered some measuring tools to get exact specs and laid out exactly how I was going to proceed with my project. Then found a competent machine shop that could get it exactly how I wanted it. And here is the result:

Looks pretty normal to me

But as you can see, I drilled it out and then pressed in (to EXACT tolerances) a slug of brass to add weight

Even left the step height that the knob originally had. And drilled and tapped it to the same spec that the knob originally had too.

The end result: IT'S FRIGGIN' AWESOME! I unfortunately don't have access myself to a gram scale so I can't tell you an exact weight difference (will try and get that done soon), but I will say it is noticeable for sure. And I'd imagine that doing this modification to any setup that currently uses the AMS knob will notice a massive difference.

Currently there is only one of these made, but if a friend of mine likes the weight, I will make a second one for his track DSM so I can have another opinion on how this has turned out.

Just wanted to share with you all!
Old Dec 9, 2011, 07:47 AM

Now if only AMS would sell a shift knob like that...I am also a fan of delrin knobs for exactly the reasons that you expressed but I have not found a mitsu option with the weighted feel and height that I am looking for.

I don't own the ams knob but it's the height and style that I would prefer just not weighted.

Very nicely done indeed sir
Old Dec 9, 2011, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Panic
Now if only AMS would sell a shift knob like that...I am also a fan of delrin knobs for exactly the reasons that you expressed but I have not found a mitsu option with the weighted feel and height that I am looking for.

I don't own the ams knob but it's the height and style that I would prefer just not weighted.

Very nicely done indeed sir

I was loosely looking for Delrin but landed on the Big Type R shift knob from TWM due to its good weight and height adjustability.

Definitely spendy but I'm extremely pleased with it, something I didn't think I'd say for something as simple as a shift knob.

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftkn...hiftknobs.html
Old Dec 9, 2011, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

make me one please? haha...how much would you want
Old Dec 9, 2011, 02:26 PM

If I had the tools to mass produce these, I would. This is more of an inspirational post for people that have access to the tools used.

Heck, maybe a vendor that sells AMS products could look into doing the same modifications .

Thanks for the kind words!

*Side note: It also doesn't even have to be an AMS knob. It can be ANY ol' delrin knob gotten off Ebay. Even ones not "made" to fit our thread pitch! This modification literally will work for any car with a delrin knob*

Last edited by Naco; Dec 9, 2011 at 02:34 PM.