Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cusco RS diff - Remove AYC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cusco RS diff - Remove AYC

Has anyone done this? What can we do with AYC after replacing the rear diff with a rear RS type differential so the AYC won't give errors?

I'd like to make it work like with 8s and 9s where we disabled AYC and replaced with RS diffs but kept the ACD.

Any help appreciated !
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the RS sitting and it will be installed within a few weeks. I don't think you have to remove the AYC. Here's a thread where it has been done: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...f-install.html

Btw there aren't anymore right side differential bearings in the US so if you want to do this anytime soon you may want to contact a dealer to get one ordered.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Toxin
Has anyone done this? What can we do with AYC after replacing the rear diff with a rear RS type differential so the AYC won't give errors?

I'd like to make it work like with 8s and 9s where we disabled AYC and replaced with RS diffs but kept the ACD.

Any help appreciated !
No errors, everything is OK
you should drown your AYC lines, that`s all
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by korzunm
you should drown your AYC lines, that`s all
Drown?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Drown?
close lines
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ah, thanks. But why would you want to disable the AYC if you swap in a Type-RS? I thought that the whole point of using the relatively soft Type-RS (as opposed to something like an MZ) was that it would work with the AYC, giving you something close to the best of both worlds.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

I'm doing the Evo 10 diff to Ralliart diff swap and from what I gather, all you do is plug/close the lines and you're good to go. Apparently no errors or lights on your speedometer.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Ah, thanks. But why would you want to disable the AYC if you swap in a Type-RS? I thought that the whole point of using the relatively soft Type-RS (as opposed to something like an MZ) was that it would work with the AYC, giving you something close to the best of both worlds.
In my case AYC was totally broken, and the cheapest way was sheptrans kit with mechanical differential.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by korzunm
In my case AYC was totally broken, and the cheapest way was sheptrans kit with mechanical differential.
Did you by any chance weigh the components for the swap? I've heard reports of 150 lbs savings, but I simply can't believe that.

The mechanical diff itself weighs 45 lbs (weighed it a few days ago) from a 2009 Ralliart. I can't see the axles being a whole lot lighter, and I cant see the Evo diff weighing 200 lbs, all though it is huge. Maybe 100 lbs.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't think the weight savings was in the diff alone. I thought you can get rid of lines and the pump and different diff etc and bam saves weight.

That 150lb is something I made up on evox forum lol. I just heard it saved a lot and couldn't remember, so don't quote me on that. I just know its a good amount of weight savings.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:57 AM

Evo 8 diff with 12 plates mode and DSS 900HP axles was in kit.
88 lbs for all kit

I don`t know what about stock
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by murlo26
I didn't think the weight savings was in the diff alone. I thought you can get rid of lines and the pump and different diff etc and bam saves weight.

That 150lb is something I made up on evox forum lol. I just heard it saved a lot and couldn't remember, so don't quote me on that. I just know its a good amount of weight savings.
So you're the bastard who started the 150lb rumor!

Shep just got my diff, when I pull mine I'll weigh it in. I'll check the axles as well, but I'm not expecting a lot from the axles themselves, if anything.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
As much as I know the ra rear is differ from the x so your axleswill be not long enogh or and you rv axel ends will not match with the ra diff.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
As much as I know the ra rear is differ from the x so your axleswill be not long enogh or and you rv axel ends will not match with the ra diff.
Yea, you have to use the DSS axles that are made specifically for the Shep Swap. The OEM ones will not fit .

It's a very simple swap really, I thought it was much more complex and involved more parts, but you just get some mounts and axles and you're pretty much set.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:37 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by murlo26

You dumbarse.

Quick Reply: Cusco RS diff - Remove AYC