Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shifter Issue

Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter Issue

I pulled into my parking spot at my apartment from driving home from work. I came to a complete stopped, put the e brake on (car was in neutral) and shut the car off (clutch was pressed in). When i shut the car off and the rpm's were basically at 0, i heard/felt this loud bang/click sound. It sounded like my seat locking (but amplified) but it felt like it came from the center console. I know it was not the seat locking because i never adjust my seat and no one else ever drives my car plus i was at a complete stop not moving in the car.

I have no leaking fluids or CEL. I have not started my car yet. I have ran my car through a couple gears with the car off. Everything feels fine.

The only thing my car has been doing before today is sometimes the short shifter sticks all the way to the left (between 1 and 2) or all the way to the right (between 5 and Reverse). Like if you are in neutral and push/pull the shifter to the left or right, the shifter stays at that location. It does not go back to center. I have no idea if this has anything to do with the sound.

2010 GSR, TWM short shifter, and all bushings

Update:

I took off my center console and the spring is still attached and still has plenty of grease. Everything is still connected under the hood.

It is extremely hard to move the shifter side to side when it is in neutral but it still goes into gear nice and smooth.

Any ideas?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i doubt this would have anything to do with the sound you heard but check the shifter cables in the engine bay. They might be caught on something that could be a nice smooth side to side motion. Did you recently change any bushings?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Snakes709
i doubt this would have anything to do with the sound you heard but check the shifter cables in the engine bay. They might be caught on something that could be a nice smooth side to side motion. Did you recently change any bushings?

I checked under the hood and nothing is in the way of the shifter cables. I replaced the underhood bushings over a year ago when i installed my twm shifter.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

when you heard the noise, was it soon as you released the clutch?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

when you heard the noise, was it soon as you released the clutch?
Nope, i dont think so. I am pretty sure the clutch was pressed in.

Any idea what is making the shifter hard to push side it side. It has been sitting for a week and it is really hard now to push side to side. Think it could be corrision by the underhood bushings?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Could be the bushings. I know when i first installed my TWM bushings i didnt sand down the pin enough and it took both of my arms to move the shift side to side. The weird thing is you havent recently worked on it.

So just to make sure. It was working fine, then you turned the car off and heard and clunk noise, then thats when it got hard to move? Maybe its the cables running off of the shifter. Maybe they jumped out of the lock...you can see mine in this picture....

Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

Could be the bushings. I know when i first installed my TWM bushings i didnt sand down the pin enough and it took both of my arms to move the shift side to side. The weird thing is you havent recently worked on it. So just to make sure. It was working fine, then you turned the car off and heard and clunk noise, then thats when it got hard to move? Maybe its the cables running off of the shifter. Maybe they jumped out of the lock...you can see mine in this picture....
The weird part is over the past month, the shifter would stick periodically. It would go a week sticking and then a couple of days where it would be fine. This is before i heard the loud noise. After the noise, the car has been sitting for over a week and it is really hard to move from side to side. Before it wasnt hard to push side to side, it would just stick when you push it left of right. The noise happen when i shut the car off and the rpms where on there way to zero. I cant see your picture because I am at my work computer and they have a pretty strict firewall but i will take a look at it when i get home tonight. Thank you, I appreciate you help man.

Edit.
Nice cage man. The cable on the other side of the cage I what controls the movement side to side. There should be a spring.

Last edited by rrkpitt15; Jul 31, 2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

you sure it wasnt the transmission itself and not the shifter?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

you sure it wasnt the transmission itself and not the shifter?

It shifts nice and smooth when the car is not running. I haven't started my car since i heard this noise but i can shift through the gears nice and easy.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:24 AM

What shifter cable bushings did you use? Have you re-lubricated them if they are the metal type?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jt8217
What shifter cable bushings did you use? Have you re-lubricated them if they are the metal type?
I have twm bushings. I think they are brass but I will pull them off tomorrow and check them off.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Your underhood bushings needs cleaning and lubricating; it is very typical for solid metal bushings (brass, aluminum, etc.) to require annual cleaning and lubrication.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Your underhood bushings needs cleaning and lubricating; it is very typical for solid metal bushings (brass, aluminum, etc.) to require annual cleaning and lubrication.
Thats nice to know. I am pretty sure in the instructions for installing the underhood bushing from TWM, they do not instruct to put lubrication on the bushings. I would have put some on when i installed them.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by rrkpitt15
Thats nice to know. I am pretty sure in the instructions for installing the underhood bushing from TWM, they do not instruct to put lubrication on the bushings. I would have put some on when i installed them.
Did you fix your problem? If so how did you fix it. I am having the same issue. Thanks
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zsak
Did you fix your problem? If so how did you fix it. I am having the same issue. Thanks

Well, i did "fix" the issue. The underhood bushing needed greased and cleaned but i think only the one bushing needed greased. I cleaned, sanded and greased both bushings under the hood, the one bushing that connects the cable to the L shaped bracket that rotates and the bushing that connects the L shaped bracket to the tranny housing. I did not touch the big bushing that connects the other shifter cable.

Since i cleaned and greased both of those bushings my shifters has alot of slop when it is in gear. I think i should have only greased the bushings... which one.... I do not know haha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifter Issue