Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

A closer look at H and I Beam Con Rods

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A closer look at H and I Beam Con Rods

Hey guys,

I wanted to start a discussion on connecting rods. We snapped some pictures of Manley H Beam rods and Manley I Beam rods that we keep in stock to help show you some differences in the construction of the rods.

In the picture above you have the Evo X H Beam rods on the left and the I Beam rods on the right. Let's start with the H Beams. These forged rods are made from 4340 steel with perfectly round big and small ends that are honed within .0002". The rods will come weight matched within 1.5 grams and we recommend balancing the entire rotating assembly upon engine assembly. These rods can be used in builds up to 700hp. If the power is going to exceed that slightly then the rod bolts can be upgraded. The H Beam rods are a great economical choice while retaining high quality. Manley H Beam rods are fully machined, heat treated, magnafluxed and shot peened.

The "Turbo Tuff" I Beam rods are made for 4340 aircraft quality steel that is vacuum degassed, 100% magnafluxed, and shot peened after machining. These rods are manufactured in their Lakewood, NJ facility. You can see the difference in design in the picture as these are made for maximum strength. We try to use these in all our builds when possible. The Turbo Tuff rods can handle over 1000hp and the bolts can be upgraded to handle even more. Bend and twist is tightly controlled. Also keep in mind that in most applications when going over 600-700hp don't forget to upgrade the wrist pin to a stronger material to support the power.

In this shot you can see the ARP 2000 bolts that are included with the H beam and I beam rods. They are the newest 3/8" ARP 2000 rod bolts. These can also be upgraded to ARP 625+ for additional power handling capabilities. If you have any questions on your Evo X build just let us know.

Can anyone post if they are using these rods? Also post what power you are putting down.

Last edited by RealStreet; Aug 17, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:40 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm running MAP ultimate duty rods in my X and making a little over 600whp dyno jet. They are an I beam design and were my top choice right alongside the Manley turbo tuff I-beams. Almost 20k hard miles on them, no issues thus far!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

I have the TT I beam rods and make 455 whp and 401 wtq on a MAP EF3. Car is daily driven. Runs pretty good.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

What about the Carrillo H-Beam rods? The H-beam design is not the strongest design but it is lighter than the I-beam. Isn't Carrillo's material stronger than the Manley Turbo Tuff rods? With the stronger material, can't Carrillo's H-beam rods hold just as much if not more than the Manley Turbo Tuff I beams? Since the Carrillo's H-beam is lighter than the I-beams, is it true that you can rev the H-Beam rods higher, safer?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i do have the H beams, couple of race behind us, no isse at all . Engine runs perfect.

316 whp and 450 wtq with 104 race gas 22 psi peak boost. Dyno Dynamics.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Sep 1, 2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been running my I beam turbo tuff rods in 2 motor builds, like 10k miles between the two. They are awesome rods! They were my top choices, but I'd run the MAP x beams or carillo H's too if it came to that.