Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dealer experience with P0012 Code

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer experience with P0012 Code

Hey guys,

Just driving home from work today and coming up to a stop light and wouldn’t you know it, my dash light comes on. “Engine System Service Required” a nice red triangle. I ran this code on my access port ( a great feature) and it popped up with a P0012 code which I have found out to be camshaft position timing over retarded.

I have seen that other people have had this situation happen to them but haven’t hear “too” many experiences with the whole thing. Are the dealers a real pain in the a** if the car is modded? Is this something they normally cover without fees involved since my car is only a year old and under warranty with 15,700 miles on it?

Thanks,
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:58 AM
Evolving Member

depends on where you take it some places care less then others
I would unmarry the AP and take it in and see what they say
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by evokid4life
depends on where you take it some places care less then others
I would unmarry the AP and take it in and see what they say
If I do this though, wouldnt that essentially clear the code?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

The code will be in the logs, they will be able to see it popped. Just tell them you had a guy at autozone read it and he cleared it even though you didnt ask him to.

In other news, a lot of threads about mivec issues popping up lately.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:25 AM

So I took the car in the dealer with the tune still on the ECU. He asked about the mods I had done when I was describing the problem. Luckily me, they all knew me from brining my car into that dealer a few time for an oil change. They ended up hooking it right up to the reader right away even though they had 2 cars in front of mine to get worked on before. They sure do know how to take care of us. lol it showed up on their code reader the same that my access port was showing and he then the tech dug into it because I was in the shop talking to him as he was looking up TSB's on this car. Apparently since my car was born on May 10th,2011 mine was not effected with timing chain stretch per Mitsubishi. Hopefully that is true! But I was reading the same bulletin that the tech was soo.. we'll see. He thinks it is from the tune possibly setting off the P0012 code. He cleared it, pulled my car out, and charged me nothing to look at it even though I had to sign a paper up front saying that I would need to pay 52 bucks if the issue was not a warranty problem. Technically it wasnt since it is aftermarket but that saved me at least 52 bucks for 10 min. Code has been cleared and nothing has come up since. Cross my fingers. If it does, I will have them check my timing chain visually for stretch but I dont think that any of our cars built after January 2011 should have this problem mechanically. Maybe electronically.

here is a good article.

http://roadraceengineering.com/blog/?p=3687
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:00 AM

I got the code once.. ive been told it was caused buy my triple disk. no idea lol. but ive had others tell me the same thing

Last edited by toolegit86; Apr 22, 2013 at 01:04 AM.