Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO X MR SST transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy EVO X MR SST transmission issue

I have a 2008 evo x MR with around 43k miles on it. Got my SST oil changed at 33k miles. Recently noticed 2 issues:
1) the plastic cover just behind the transmission cooler (in front of driver tire) was literally burnt up.. not sure how.
2) Yesterday my car would not engage 1,3,5 gears. However once I restarted the car all gears started working fine.

Gear shifting seems smooth but still I am worried.
Car is currently making 302 hp at wheels.

Any suggestions? Did anyone face similar issues or have any advice? ( I feel I should just sell the MR and get GSR)
Old Dec 4, 2014, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you're referring to the transmission pan cover. When you say burnt up you mean melted surface? That's very strange.

I've heard of them warping some or perhaps cracking under VERY high heat from extreme track duty.

Can you take a picture. I just replaced mine with an SSP aluminum pan during a motor/trans build. to increase cooling/oil capacity and add some trans rigidity.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:24 AM

Yes. I'll get a picture tonight once I go home. But its not the pan.. Its the plastic cover outside the cooler. its just a cover to avoid debris on cooler. But its kinda strange as the cover buring up due to heat. ( Maybe its because of tire heat but still strange).
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tire heat I would say no, brake heat definitely possible. Sounds like the car was tracked, really the only way to to get that hot
Old Dec 4, 2014, 01:59 PM

oh yes.. I did track it.. several autocrosses and track as well. Will send the pictures that will help for sure.
What do you think about 1,3,5 gears not engaging.. hopefully its not too big of problem.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 01:09 AM

^^Following....I just changed my trans oil and filter. All was good until the other day when I just went to start her up for a warm up. Immediately got the "service transmission required" and a P1840 CEL. Took her for a short stroll and could only access 1,3 and 5th gears via paddles only.

Cleared code via scanner and battery disconnect. Both errors came up immediately after start up.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:16 AM

I am not too sure but isn't this because when motor gets burnt??
Old Dec 10, 2014, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
should def take it back
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ruthless671
^^Following....I just changed my trans oil and filter. All was good until the other day when I just went to start her up for a warm up. Immediately got the "service transmission required" and a P1840 CEL. Took her for a short stroll and could only access 1,3 and 5th gears via paddles only.

Cleared code via scanner and battery disconnect. Both errors came up immediately after start up.
Sounds like a warped steel or something jammed in the clutch basket. I wasn't able to access my 2,4 and 6 because of that (warped ring on that larger set which handle the positive gears and reverse)
Old Dec 27, 2014, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by DSG Performance
Sounds like a warped steel or something jammed in the clutch basket. I wasn't able to access my 2,4 and 6 because of that (warped ring on that larger set which handle the positive gears and reverse)
I ended up just taking it to the dealer to diagnose. Luckly, i still had my powertrain warranty valid. They didn't tell me what the problem was. They said the car was unsafe to drive and warranty will cover for a new warranty.

New tranny is in (26 Dec) and just waiting for the dealer to do the replacement. Hopefully by 29 Dec she should be back and good as new..