Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Running Lean/Misfire

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Lean/Misfire

I've been trying to troubleshoot an issue for the last month now, and running out of ideas. Figured its time to ask here, hoping someone has had a similar issue and can offer advice

First up, the car. 2010 Evo SE with bolt ons, BBX Lite BB turbo, DW300, FIC 1100, tuned on e85.

The issue:
While driving on the highway at 40mph or so, I tried to go WOT. Instantly, had crazy misfire and no power. Let off gas, saw a CEL but didn't have anything to read it at the time. Limped the car home, continued to misfire and had almost no power. Lost power gradually as i was getting closer to home. Almost couldn't make it up the last hill.
Codes read system lean and cyl 1 misfire. Feared the motor was screwed, but started checking things to see what I could see.

Things I did, in order:
Compression test - OK
Drained oil - OK
Fuel pump was buzzing loudly at idle. Replaced it, thinking it went bad. Did not fix problem
Moved to injectors. Swapped stock injectors in and went back to 93 on a basemap. No more misfire, but still running lean. Doing a WOT pull, seeing normal AFR, then as soon as I hit boost (3500 or so) I go lean, gradually coming back to normal AFR as ecu pulls timing and motor has a couple 1-2 knocksum here and there. My tuner has tried to correct by adding a ton of fuel but it only made a small impact, not really evening it out.

What would you guys try to look at next? Is it worth sending the original injectors for flow testing since I am still having issues with stock injectors? Could something be causing fuel pressure to drop that I can check? Any known issues with stock lines or rail? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Gonna start REALLY simple, just to cover bases.. do you have all your relays swapped to the new ones?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 04:44 AM

Yes, relays swapped out while getting all of the other parts swapped in and then got tuned afterwards. I did do back to back pulls this week with both the original and upgraded relays, both were almost identical.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Corrupter
Yes, relays swapped out while getting all of the other parts swapped in and then got tuned afterwards. I did do back to back pulls this week with both the original and upgraded relays, both were almost identical.
hey man do you have a the stock boost controller selenoids?
and if you have an aftermarket boost controler did you change the vacuum hoses because it has resticting boost pills inside them
Old Aug 29, 2015, 07:40 AM

Vacuum hose changed when 3 port was installed. No boost pills in use. I'd think that would have been an issue all along if that was the problem...

I think I might try to swap out the hose that connects the top of the fuel pump to the hangar. Came with a MAP install kit and looks really cheap and not sized well. Its like a straw you'd get with one of those souvenir cups at a theme park. Started out clear, but its brown now. Thinking maybe there's a crack in it somewhere and its dropping my fuel pressure?