Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cracked Exhaust Runner usable?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 09:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cracked Exhaust Runner usable?

So I'm installing a new MHI turbo in my X and when I removed the exhaust manifold I found a small crack on the inside of the collector between the runners. How dicked is it?

I'd really like to get my car back together, the MAP cast exhaust manifold is back ordered for weeks and tubular headers are both significantly more expensive and not what I want on my daily driver.

Am I risking much by just continuing to use the cracked manifold until I can get it replaced properly later this summer?

This isn't my header but this is an extremely similar crack:

So, worth risking it or do I pull out the stops to get a replacement? (likely tubular)

Last edited by KVandy15; Feb 29, 2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by KVandy15
So I'm installing a new MHI turbo in my X and when I removed the exhaust manifold I found a small crack on the inside of the collector between the runners. How dicked is it?

I'd really like to get my car back together, the MAP cast exhaust manifold is back ordered for weeks and tubular headers are both significantly more expensive and not what I want on my daily driver.

Am I risking much by just continuing to use the cracked manifold until I can get it replaced properly later this summer?

This isn't my header but this is an extremely similar crack:

So, worth risking it or do I pull out the stops to get a replacement? (likely tubular)
Hold off for the MAP cast manifold, I have it and it's a great piece. Just install a set of bolts in place of the two back studs so changing the manifold is a piece of cake. That's what I did. But yeah that crack will only get worse over time
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Should be useable until you get the MAP piece if that's what you really want. Most of the X manifolds crack at some point while on the car and people don't know unless they take it off.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to work with what I've got for now and I'll get that MAP manifold on the way ASAP.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 08:22 AM

So I lied, I couldn't bring myself to install the cracked manifold and I didn't want to wait weeks to get an investment cast manifold so say hello to my new friend...

Old Mar 7, 2016, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Well that one will definitely do, congrats!!
The following users liked this post:
KVandy15 (Mar 7, 2016)
Old Mar 8, 2016, 04:10 PM

Thanks, I'm pretty stoked. I'm doing the final shakedown tonight and i should be in for tuning later this week!
Old Mar 8, 2016, 04:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
That tubular mani will crack eventually too..
Old Mar 9, 2016, 01:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I didn't want to be the one to say it...
Old Mar 9, 2016, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
What heatshield is that?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Originally Posted by e_kobz
I didn't want to be the one to say it...
Oh I know, but it's not already cracked so big improvement from where I was. The part also comes with a lifetime warranty so when it does I'll have some recourse.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dross99_si
What heatshield is that?
Homebrewed, I took some queues from the shield map includes in the T3 hotparts kit but that one leaves some small parts of the valve cover exposed and is designed to be used with an aluminum valve cover. I needed a more robust solution for the plastic valve cover so I rolled my own.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
How long a tubular lasts is totally hit or miss and also dependant on the MFG. For track use, i wouldn't use MAP tubular mani. For street use, its as good as anything else that doesn't come with a lifetime warranty. It's hard to beat full race simply due to their lifetime warranty. A handfull of other companies offer warranties as well with their tubular mani's.... but FR has been doing it for like 20 years, so they've got this whole production tubular manifold thing down to a science.

FWIW, cracks in your stock manifold are fine. They might leak when the manifold is cold, but as soon as it heats up the cracks seal. I have cracks in mine and i track the **** out of it. No evidence of exhaust leaks from the mani just from inspecting the inside of the heat shield. Usually a leak will show up as carbon deposits on the shield or it'll straight burn through if the leak is bad enough. The inside of my shield is clean.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 08:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by hispanicpanic
How long a tubular lasts is totally hit or miss and also dependant on the MFG. For track use, i wouldn't use MAP tubular mani. For street use, its as good as anything else that doesn't come with a lifetime warranty. It's hard to beat full race simply due to their lifetime warranty. A handfull of other companies offer warranties as well with their tubular mani's.... but FR has been doing it for like 20 years, so they've got this whole production tubular manifold thing down to a science.

FWIW, cracks in your stock manifold are fine. They might leak when the manifold is cold, but as soon as it heats up the cracks seal. I have cracks in mine and i track the **** out of it. No evidence of exhaust leaks from the mani just from inspecting the inside of the heat shield. Usually a leak will show up as carbon deposits on the shield or it'll straight burn through if the leak is bad enough. The inside of my shield is clean.
The problem is the tubular mani's on the X usually warp to **** from heat. Last one I took off had to be pried off the studs. And I installed it, and it went on just fine. So even if it has a warranty, good luck getting it back on after they weld up the crack.

The cracks in your mani may seal now. But you're asking for a problem when one of those crack blows out on track and your car catches on fire...
Old Mar 9, 2016, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by hispanicpanic

The MAP Mani also has a lifetime warranty and MAP's HQ is a short drive from my house. Proximity is what really makes it the clear choice for me, especially since I was on a time crunch to get a new part. The manifold was literally still warm when I picked it up.

I wouldn't have worried about the cracks if I wasn't bolting a brand new MHI 18K turbo to the other end of it, what little risk there might have been it still just wasn't worth it to me to compromise on the manifold with the amount of money I already had into the repair.

The inside of my shield was the exact opposite of clean, this had little to do with the manifold and much to do with this:

Quick Reply: Cracked Exhaust Runner usable?