Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Short Block vs. Others

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur Short Block vs. Others

I would like to make 500+hp reliably. Ideally, I'd like a sleeved built block, but I don't think I can afford the AMS build block. Is there a consensus on how good Buschur blocks are compared to others? I'm not wanting to rebuild for many years. Thanks for answering my noob question.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by jflies
I would like to make 500+hp reliably. Ideally, I'd like a sleeved built block, but I don't think I can afford the AMS build block. Is there a consensus on how good Buschur blocks are compared to others? I'm not wanting to rebuild for many years. Thanks for answering my noob question.
Are you saying that the AMS block is the best?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by moparfan
Are you saying that the AMS block is the best?
No, just that the AMS (whether good or bad) is an option that I don't think I can afford. I was just wondering if the cheaper options are going to last and be as well made as some of the more expensive ones.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
A lot of shops that don't build blocks themselves source from AMS. They're among the best.

What turbo will you be running to achieve the 500+ whp? The OEM block can support 500whp no problem, as long as the torque is kept in check. It would likely be more reliable than any aftermarket block you buy, to boot.

What shop are you going to for the work? I'd have a serious talk with your builder/tuner about their opinions. You do not need a sleeved block for a reliable 500hp.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 07:16 AM

I'm not 100% set on it, but I was thinking Motion Lab in Charlotte, NC. The reason I am thinking sleeved block is because it looks like the Buschur sleeved block is about the same price (or at least in the same ballpark) as a built stock block, and I thought it might be tougher. Not to mention it gives the option of running serious HP if I ever decide to do that, without doing another rebuild. But I'm still new to the game so I would take your advice heavily into consideration. What do you think?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jflies
I'm not 100% set on it, but I was thinking Motion Lab in Charlotte, NC. The reason I am thinking sleeved block is because it looks like the Buschur sleeved block is about the same price (or at least in the same ballpark) as a built stock block, and I thought it might be tougher. Not to mention it gives the option of running serious HP if I ever decide to do that, without doing another rebuild. But I'm still new to the game so I would take your advice heavily into consideration. What do you think?

Motion Lab is a reputable shop, and should do well with your car. If you have plans to go for some serious power down the road, then a sleeved block might be worth considering.

Take a look at what you realistically want to do. You lose reliability with big builds, so if it's your DD you're better off staying on the stock block with a nice turbo kit. Don't overshoot your goals.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 09:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You do not need a sleeved block for 500-600whp. I would look at English Racing.

https://englishracing.net/collection...ce-short-block

https://englishracing.net/collection...et-short-block
Old Jan 16, 2017, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
STM has their Street Version shortblock in stock for $3200. 585-226-8226
Old Jan 17, 2017, 08:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
motion labs is going to be hit or miss. There is a lot of good and a lot of bad, so pick your poison. Buschur isn't bad, but they're more known for their evo 8/9 and GTRS. Boostin performance, STM, MAP, and ams probably would be your best bet. Usually when it comes to stuff like this you're going to get what you pay for. Rickerman tuning also does motor builds
The following users liked this post:
Boostin Perform (Jan 17, 2017)