Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

What flywheel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What flywheel

I'm planing on a south bend stage 3 clutch and was wondering what flywheel to buy. Should I stay with an oem?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I was in a similar situation and ended up going with an ACT streetlite, as it was cheaper new vs new compared to the OEM, even with the trade discount from work. I've had nothing but good experiences with the ACT is previous cars, so it was a relatively easy pick for me.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by newevoxguy
I'm planing on a south bend stage 3 clutch and was wondering what flywheel to buy. Should I stay with an oem?
I decided to try out the Comp Lightweight when I had my clutch replaced. Its definitely a lot lighter than OEM and the revs are a bit quicker to climb and fall. Only downside is you have to give it a bit more gas to engage, especially on hills.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
I hope you don't plan on daily driving your X with a SB Stage 3 and a lightened flywheel......
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Yes I do it is my DD I'm going to drive it and love it. I heard it's not that bad only like a 10 to 15% increase
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
its not the tension on the pedal---its the grabby clutch backed up by a low inertia flywheel that will be a ***** to drive on traffic...hence the comments above---... And yes someone will jump in an say they love it and drive it everyday etc... just saying.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

That's why I was asking if I should get an oem one. I heard a while ago if I change the clutch then stick with oem. I want the best drivable and reliable I can get
Old Mar 21, 2017, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by newevoxguy
I rode with a Comp Stage 3 and lightweight flywheel. Getting used to riding in traffic wasn't too much of an issue, the real issue is that the clutch was a segmented ceramic. That combined with needing more RPM's to engage without stalling because of the lightweight fly led to a short lived clutch. That pos lasted just over 10k miles with no launches, slips or anything of that nature.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

That sucks! That's what I don't want to happen
Old Mar 22, 2017, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was implying. A lightened flywheel has less inertia so it makes it harder to drive smoothly with a puck style clutch. It's just a horrible choice for traffic.

You're never going to find a consensus on these or even the evox.com forums about clutches. Every single thread is 10 people saying, "I have that setup and it's great" and another 5 saying, "It's terrible" or "It only lasted 10k miles"

A lot of it comes down to the correct choice for the application. Now that we know it's a daily, what are your short-to-medium term mod intentions for the car?

If you're going to stay bolt ons, get a full face clutch like the Exedy Stage 1 HD or the ACT HD. Both are good for almost 400tq as long as you're not frequently launching the car. Beyond that, if you want to maintain driveability, go twin disk.

From TRE:
Rule of thumb: The clutch is suppose to slip before drivetrain parts break. if you drive it on the street, use a clutch that is similar to the original equipment.

Racing type clutches are for race cars, not daily drivers. choose your clutch wisely and remember the more you abuse it the sooner they wear out.