Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Under Boosting, Cause Unknown

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Under Boosting, Cause Unknown

I am having issues with boost maxing out at 22-23 PSI. Normally I peak at 26 PSI. I did a boost leak test and my system held 26 PSI with no trouble. Unfortunately I'm not sure where to begin. I was thinking BOV, WG, EBC or tuning to be the cause. Unfortunately I have zero experience with any of these things personally.
i should mention I decided I wanted to install a new test pipe, one without a resonator. So I did that, ran into the under boosting and reinstalled the old test pipe w/resonator, but it didn't help. I had to really wrench very hard on my o2 sensor for the cat pipe because it was seized in place due to rust. Is it possible I may have damaged it? Could that be the problem?
i just heard from another guy who had his flex pipe crack on his, the same one I have. I haven't noticed any smell or noise from my exhaust, but if it only appears at 23 PSI I probably wouldn't normally anyway. Maybe that?
Im clearly down on power, so im pretty sure it's being reported correctly.
I realize that I should just take it to my tuner. But he's 3.5 hours away and i have a hard time getting time off work. So any help would be appreciated.
thanks

CBRD 3in intake
CBRD 3in FMIC
CBRD Tubular Manifold
CBRD Downpipe
EFR 7163
Pierburg EBC
UR Resonated TP and CB
Depo LICP UICP
CBRD Tuned
2014 GSR

Last edited by cerealkeller; May 24, 2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old May 24, 2017, 08:25 PM

I had a similar problem to this, I can't say for certain I have 100% resolved it but I found a tear in the vacuum line that feeds to the blow off valve. Another thing that had been recommended for me to look into was the wastegate actuator, but my assumption is a tear in the vacuum line is no good and is likely causing it.

Essentially start with a vacuum leak test, how I did mine was a vape that puts out a metric ton of smoke.
Old May 24, 2017, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
If you boost leak tested it and it held fine then it wont be BOV or WG.
Could be a bad EBC, can you log it?
Old May 24, 2017, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rasperin
I had a similar problem to this, I can't say for certain I have 100% resolved it but I found a tear in the vacuum line that feeds to the blow off valve. Another thing that had been recommended for me to look into was the wastegate actuator, but my assumption is a tear in the vacuum line is no good and is likely causing it.

Essentially start with a vacuum leak test, how I did mine was a vape that puts out a metric ton of smoke.
i actually thought about doing that, only I don't own one and don't know anybody who does that lives near by. I'll check my lines though, thanks for the advice
Old May 24, 2017, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
If you boost leak tested it and it held fine then it wont be BOV or WG.
Could be a bad EBC, can you log it?
yeah, I'll try to get that done today. My laptop has been giving me a hard time, I let my daughter borrow it and now it's slow as hell. I've been meaning to fix it, just haven't needed to yet. So yes, I will asap and post.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by cerealkeller
yeah, I'll try to get that done today. My laptop has been giving me a hard time, I let my daughter borrow it and now it's slow as hell. I've been meaning to fix it, just haven't needed to yet. So yes, I will asap and post.
Sounds good!
Old May 26, 2017, 04:47 AM

Took me pretty much all day yesterday to get my laptop fixed, but that's done. So I'll log some time today if it stops pouring down rain.