Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

4B11T Front Cam Bearing Bolt Torque

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4B11T Front Cam Bearing Bolt Torque

I'm getting ready for a general checkup on my sleeved 2 liter after putting 4k miles on it.
During assembly while bringing up the front camshaft bearing bolts up to torque to the final 23 ft/lbs, all stretched and refused to reach the target.
I stopped and pulled them. Lucky because one stretched to the point of breaking. I ordered a new OEM set.
I stopped at 13 ft/lbs, on the new set and they seemed to start stretching also. I was using a dial torque wrench. At 13 ft/lbs the dial held steady, so I stopped there.
The manual is a bit vague and states: 13 +/- 2 ft/lbs TO 23 +/- 1 ft/lbs.

I would have definitely stretched the bolts to failure trying to reach 23.
Can anyone assist on the way they deal with this? Do the front bearing saddle bolts need the bolt stretch to keep from cracking anything?
And what about ARP bolts (rest of engine if filled with them) and the correct torque for them?

Really could use a hand here.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
If you’re stretching new bolts you may have some oil in the holes. That being said I’ve stopped using OEM bolts and just use 10.9 flange bolts from ACE hardware.
The ARP kit is nice because it puts most of the load on the studs and not the threads, should come with instructions for the torque on those.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 09:16 AM

The threads were clean and dry. New bolts screwed in with my fingers and there wasn't any wobble. So I'd say the threads in the head are good.
I was wondering if whoever setup the buckets screwed them up.
I used a very light coat of oil on bolt threads to prevent galling. Definitely no hydro lock.
So, the factory specs are a bit vague. Do I bring torque to an initial 13 +/- 2 ft/lbs, then go for a final 23 +/- 1 ft/lbs?
If I remember I got the initial torque to hold at the first setting but at around 15 ft/lbs new bolts stretched and the gauge wouldn't increase as I cranked them.
Same thing with a second set of OEM bolts. They are soft!
Was using a good set of 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2 inch torque wrenches. The 1/4" is my tranny wrench and did an inch-lb to ft-lb conversion.
I'm wondering what the factory procedure is.
Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Where are you finding the torque spec? I'd like to see/read it.

Nvrmind, I found it. Are all of the other caps torqued before torqueing the front cap?

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Apr 17, 2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Where are you finding the torque spec? I'd like to see/read it.

Nvrmind, I found it. Are all of the other caps torqued before torqueing the front cap?
Of course.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 09:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Hmm. I've only done one set of cams on a X, I don't recall what I torqued the caps too, but I know I followed the service manual. I'm really surprised they want 23ftlb for those though. IIRC they're only an M8 bolt.