Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Whine noise in lower gears

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whine noise in lower gears

So hey guys I have a 2015 evo x gsr my first manual car it was my dream car really happy with it so far. But I am new to a vehicle of this nature and I wanted to pick some like minded brains on the noise that I am hearing.

#1 A whine coming from the engine bay.. I drive down the interstate to work everyday back and forth when i get off the interstate and even after short drives when I drive the car shifting through the early gears there is a whine noise that has developed or at least i think wasnt hearing it before... it happens around 2800 3200k if my music on and windows open it's hard to hear but when you close windows and no radio you can notice it and it doesent effect anything but it does not sound good car has just over 30k miles i got it around 27k about 1k miles into most recent oil change car does make the whine at idle when revving it up

#2 when shifting into 2nd alot of times in the am or the first shift of the day it feels rough and can hear a clank outside of car when going into 2nd after that its fine but going into second is kinda sketchy it takes more time to catch then all other gears but mabye its how im driving
Old Sep 12, 2018, 03:34 AM

I had by the sounds of it the same issue.

A few weeks ago I installed a new clutch and new diff bushes.
The whine magically vanished.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Has the transmission and transfer case fluid been changed? Have you taken it to the dealer? The car is still under warranty..
Old Sep 12, 2018, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure about the whine but i know when the car is cold 2nd gear clunk is very popular. Alot of X's have the same issue. Most people buy the Redline cocktail transmission fluid to help fix it. it should go away after a little bit when it warms up.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 03:04 AM

try using ceratec