Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X SST 7163 support mods

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Not to argue, but I would like to provide a fast spooling option that I have been obsessed with: Modern 20g turbos with 9 blade turbines in the Evo X. I am currently running the 7+7 (EFR style) and ran the 11 full blade (GTX style) for 20kmi. These things spool like mad, and can get you 400 at the wheels on 93 (done it) and I am still testing (fuel limited) what she does on E85. I think 420whp is possible. IMO it is better than a FP 71 HTA because the turbine side flows more which is a better match to the compressor. A TD06Sl2 would be a better match for the compressor but then your back to loosing spool. These things spool like stock, but it doesn't run out of steam on the top end. I must say that if my 20g turned to toast my next pick would be the 18k. The anti-surge housing, the larger than TD05h OEM MHI 9 blade turbine and massive amount of success people have had with it cannot be ignored.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 09:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I have no experience with those, so I have nothing to argue there
Old Aug 28, 2018, 04:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm slowly starting to buy support mods for the 18k setup. I'm sure once my wife notices my card raising up, it'll be even slower but still trying. Got aluminum valve cover and ID1050 injectors coming now, hoping I can resource every part and tax time sneak and snag the 18k to complete the build. I've been on the fence and at the end of the day, I love my Evo and can't see myself driving anything else. I did test drive my friend's 240IX but doesn't offer much aftermarket support, that torque was easily noticeable compared to mine but feel my power is greater. Sorry for all this flipfloping, I just want to make sure I will be happy after spending this much money for a normal daily driver. To cut cost, I'm hoping I can do the install to make it a little bit better. Thanks again for all the suggestions, it looks like the 18K has been proven and I'll be happy without digging deep in my pockets at the end of the day.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:55 AM
EvoM Guru

There was no need to purchase an aluminum valve cover.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
There was no need to purchase an aluminum valve cover.
you need the alu valve cover if you ever want to run a tubular manifold... I have a melted plastic one to prove..
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

There is no BB version. It's an MHI turbo and they only released a JB version. No turbo spools the same as stock, so to say the 18k is "laggy" is pretty much pointless since even a 7163 will have similar spool up characteristics. If you want the least lag possible, the 18k or 7163 are where its at, and they'll even have similar power potential.

If you can't handle any more lag, then you should probably stick with the stock turbo and deal with the horsepower short comings.
Ok, I was buying that 18K from owendevelopments in the UK and they do offer a BB version.. but that is their conversion I guess.
As for lag, 7460 has much faster transient response than stock turbo and spools the same as OE while being close to 18K spec power wise.... so yes, it can be done.. From what I have seen 7163 will have great transient response so this is where I am going to..

Old Aug 30, 2018, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
you need the alu valve cover if you ever want to run a tubular manifold... I have a melted plastic one to prove..
The OP isn't running a tubular manifold. Hence the "you don't need it" statement by letsgetthisdone.

Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:21 AM
EvoM Guru

OP won't be running a tubular manifold with the 18k. IIRC he was debating a stock manifold or the MAP cast stainless one. And he shouldn't get the MAP manifold because it hurts spool up.

Ok, I was buying that 18K from owendevelopments in the UK and they do offer a BB version.. but that is their conversion I guess.
As for lag, 7460 has much faster transient response than stock turbo and spools the same as OE while being close to 18K spec power wise.... so yes, it can be done.. From what I have seen 7163 will have great transient response so this is where I am going to..
They don't make a 7460 for the X. And if you do the Owen BB conversion on an 18k, it loses a lot of the appeal of being an OEM part and I'm sure its significantly more expensive. I would rather move up to a Garrett stock frame gtx3071 or 76 with the gen2 compressor (from Garrett, not an ATP part).
Old Aug 30, 2018, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

OP won't be running a tubular manifold with the 18k. IIRC he was debating a stock manifold or the MAP cast stainless one. And he shouldn't get the MAP manifold because it hurts spool up.
They don't make a 7460 for the X. And if you do the Owen BB conversion on an 18k, it loses a lot of the appeal of being an OEM part and I'm sure its significantly more expensive. I would rather move up to a Garrett stock frame gtx3071 or 76 with the gen2 compressor (from Garrett, not an ATP part).
ok on the OE manifold part, although it will crack..

as for 7460.. they do make it
https://www.lancershop.com/customer/...productid=3410

as well as a larger version
https://www.lancershop.com/customer/product.php?productid=8753&cat=164&page=1

7460 being better for driveability, and 18K for outright power and longevity at high power as I heard that the 7460 can be a bit fragile when pushed on the X. I attribute it to higher EGT that the X runs..

Garret is a nice stockish fitting choice though..
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Well I did it finally thanks to STM discount and the 18k should arrive soon. I still have mods to purchase a few more things but looking forward to it finally coming together. Opted no porting and think I'll get investment manifold ceramic coated, having bad feeling my stock manifold is cracked. Hope to throw some new dyno sheets the beginning of next year.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

What happened to this project? I see @snafufx still is active on here.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Went with 18k and had a blast with it. Low lag, hitting think it was full boost by 3800rpms. Ended up hitting 387/379 on dynojet. 2 weeks after I finally paid car off (last month) , did some wot pulls and cracked cylinder 4 piston. I'm guessing I overrevved somehow (knew I hit 7k which should be fine). When I made it home cylinder 4 spark plug looks like valve smashed electrode and used borescope to find crack. She's getting torn apart now but ended up buying Stinger GT1. Not sure if I'll build bottom end and send SST to Kozmic or drop stock long block in and sell. If I keep it, wife getting Stinger. Really trying to like it but it's a freaking boat but quick with jb4 tune so far. I'll post dyno when I get home.

Last edited by snafufx; Jun 11, 2021 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Graph, corrected results
Old Jun 10, 2021, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

those kind of numbers should not have broken it. 7k is no problem for 4b11. What fuel was that on and was the knock dash light activated to let you know of knock count above 3 or 5 ?

Old Jun 11, 2021, 04:05 AM
Evolving Member

It was on 93 octane, I don't have knock light. The only thing I can think of is I did swap an ETS HFC to an ETS resonated cat without a tune. I logged it maybe a month ago and did notice it hit a little leaner than 12.1 AFR and told wife maybe I should get refresh tune. I should have went with my gut and stopped going WOT until that's done. I'll have to dig up my logs and really see what was going on. I researched and found there was data collected for Evo IX cylinder 4 piston ring clearance out of range causing a crack near the groove, granted I never opened the engine up maybe that's what happened. Honestly I don't think I can sell it, just which direction I should go. Maybe built 2.0, cams, refresh SST with fixes and have fun with the 18k or used longblock and keep everything else. My SST hasn't had any issues and saved up for awhile to have it refreshed with clutchpacks. Did compression test that day and got 120,150,150,120. Added oil and got 140,150,150,140 so hoping damage isn't too bad.

Last edited by snafufx; Jun 11, 2021 at 04:11 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

I don't understand why ANY tuner would let an EVO run about the world without turning on the KNOCK light that is in both COBB and ECUFLASH. Not blaming him, but I have heard this same story before (no knock light, engine blows when something goes amiss). LEANER than 12.1 on 93 is also insane. The service light flashing in your face would have tugged at your inner core to stop flogging it. Sorry this happened, but sounds like it was completely avoidable.

Quick Reply: Evo X SST 7163 support mods