Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X Turbo Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X Turbo Upgrade?

Hey everyone, I know there are other posts/threads out there but figured I would just make my own for now. I have a 12 GSR that I'm in the market for upgrading my stock turbo. I have been hearing a lot about the FP Red 18k and that people are very happy and satisfied with it. I'm looking for a possible easy bolt on turbo and wanted to get an idea from others that have upgraded using the Red and what pros/cons you have run in to. Is the Red a direct bolt on? Is there anything else needed or recommended when installing the turbo?

Thanks in advance.

Current Mods:
Injen intake/uicp
4" ETS fmic
Tomei Titanium Downpipe/ Turbo back with test pipe
FIC 750 injectors
Turbosmart BOV
Grimmspeed MBC
Tuned on 93 at 28psi
never been on Dyno

Old Sep 1, 2018, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
This is a really broad question. Spend some times reading the forums. Search is your friend. If by "easy bolt on" you mean "stock frame" then yes the 18k and FP RED are stock frame turbos.
When you upgrade to a larger turbo the most important thing is to address FUEL and the TUNE.
The following users liked this post:
2012evogsr (Sep 2, 2018)
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaraxle
This is a really broad question. Spend some times reading the forums. Search is your friend. If by "easy bolt on" you mean "stock frame" then yes the 18k and FP RED are stock frame turbos.
When you upgrade to a larger turbo the most important thing is to address FUEL and the TUNE.
Yes I'm trying to go through and get some ideas for upgrades and looking for good turbo with stock frame to bolt right on. I have been hearing good things about them just wanted to find out if anything else is recommended to be replaced if I decide to go with a new one. im waiting to hear back from my guy that's tuned the car to see if I need to upgrade more than 750 injectors.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Yes you will need 1000cc injectors for gasoline and 1200 to 1300cc for E85 with the stock frame turbos you are interested in. There is a ton of data on the 18k and there is a reason why it is such a popular turbo. You also cannot run the stock fuel pump with an upgraded turbo, and so again it depends if your planning on E85 or not as to which pump you will choose.