Need some advice on what turbo to get - Page 3 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need some advice on what turbo to get

 
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:44 AM
  #31  
EvoM Guru
iTrader: (8)
 
razorlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda, ca
Posts: 11,224
Thanked 250 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by MannyEvoX View Post
Update: I talked to my tuner last night about sleeving and how much it would cost and to my surprise he said it would be about $600 for the sleeves and $500 to get machined. I'm not sure where the other price came from, maybe I misheard so I apologize for the sake of his reputation cause that would'nt be fair. Anyways he was happy with thinking about sleeving my motor and since it's relatively inexpensive compared to everything else I will be getting sleeves as well! Now I can really push the 8374 if I want to
I had my block sleeved by Race Engine Development (one of the best in the industry) with Darton sleeves and it cost me $1,450

In the grand scheme of things it's not that much $$$.

My motor build itself all in was under $10,000 for top notch parts and easily made 640whp DJ and 570whp MD at 29psi.


Last edited by razorlab; Jan 12, 2019 at 10:50 AM.
razorlab is offline  
Old Feb 12, 2019, 08:01 AM
  #32  
Newbie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
MannyEvoX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 50
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's an update for everyone. I've had a lot of problems along the way but the car is almost finished. The latest problem I have is the engine and trans were installed onto the car and then the clutch kept popping out. They said it was a bad wave clip, (Competition) so now they have drop the motor again and overnight an ACT monolock. They've expressed their dislike for this Full Race turbo kit. They said they didn't like the design because of the fitment, there's barely any room. They had to grind down (clutch otter shell?) just to make one of the lines fit. They said whenever I need a new clutch they'd have to drop the whole motor to do the job because of the poor fitment of this kit. I'll attached a pic to try to explain a bit better.



Also the sleeving job turned out to be just as expensive as I originally thought. My tuner said it would be $600 for the sleeves and around $500 for the machining. He used a new shop for my car though and I've read some reviews about him and apparently he does excellent work but he's expensive. The sleeving job came out to be $1,200! so almost a 2K job. Even my tuner and his mechanics were shocked when they heard how much. Maybe there's a particular reason, idk. At least it's over with.






If you noticed they also they decided against going with the Turbosmart wastegate actuator and sticking with the BW setup that comes with it. Apparently they talked to Full Race and was told that the IWG setup has 9mm of preload so they think they will be able to run the amount of boost they we want, around 35PSI, aiming for 700whp. After doing research on Black E's posts I am a little worried but I trust in my tuners knowledge vs my own, so lets hope everything works! They want to finish the car this week but I'll be waiting patiently.
They think I should of went with an ETS Precision turbo kit 6266 and that it would be a better setup, they work on those like everyday. I'm really hoping that all of this is worth it and all the hype BW EFR turbos have proves true and proves them wrong! This is a street car after all, not a dyno queen or drag car... at least as of now.
MannyEvoX is offline  
Old Feb 12, 2019, 08:33 AM
  #33  
EvoM Guru
iTrader: (8)
 
razorlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda, ca
Posts: 11,224
Thanked 250 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by MannyEvoX View Post
Also the sleeving job turned out to be just as expensive as I originally thought. My tuner said it would be $600 for the sleeves and around $500 for the machining. He used a new shop for my car though and I've read some reviews about him and apparently he does excellent work but he's expensive. The sleeving job came out to be $1,200! so almost a 2K job. Even my tuner and his mechanics were shocked when they heard how much. Maybe there's a particular reason, idk. At least it's over with.
I'm pretty bad at math but I do know 1200 is closer to 1000 than 2000. That is actually a great price for sleeving a 4B11T. I'd personally be weary of a tuner thinking that is a lot for sleeving.

My darton sleeving from RED (best in the business) cost $1500

razorlab is offline  
Old Feb 12, 2019, 08:47 AM
  #34  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Posts: 2,269
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Meh.... stuffing big turbos in places that weren't designed for it is always a compromise in packaging. I would wrap that downpipe and put reflective insulation around that line that's running near it too. As for the sleeves, what's crappier than paying $2k for the job is paying $1k and then having a sleeve drop requiring the whole thing to be done again. You made the wise choice in going with the BW over Precision.
spdracerut is offline  
Old Feb 12, 2019, 09:03 AM
  #35  
Newbie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
MannyEvoX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 50
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
I'm pretty bad at math but I do know 1200 is closer to 1000 than 2000. That is actually a great price for sleeving a 4B11T. I'd personally be weary of a tuner thinking that is a lot for sleeving.

My darton sleeving from RED (best in the business) cost $1500
But was that with sleeves included? I was just under the impression $600+$500 so It was more than I was expecting, but I was already expecting it to be more than he said anyways.

Originally Posted by spdracerut View Post
Meh.... stuffing big turbos in places that weren't designed for it is always a compromise in packaging. I would wrap that downpipe and put reflective insulation around that line that's running near it too. As for the sleeves, what's crappier than paying $2k for the job is paying $1k and then having a sleeve drop requiring the whole thing to be done again. You made the wise choice in going with the BW over Precision.
Yeah I really want to defend BW so I hope it impresses him. I beleive the 8374 is bigger in overall size than a 6266 right? Not the inducer but the overall size of the turbo? Yes I totally agree with getting it done right and paying some more than it failing and paying more in the long run. This moreing I asked my tuner about if he thinks we should wrap the downpipe but he said he it doesn't need it. I also read this morening of a lot of dowpipes and manifolds that were wrapped ended up cracking though.
MannyEvoX is offline  
Old Feb 12, 2019, 09:09 AM
  #36  
EvoM Guru
iTrader: (8)
 
razorlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda, ca
Posts: 11,224
Thanked 250 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by MannyEvoX View Post
But was that with sleeves included? I was just under the impression $600+$500 so It was more than I was expecting, but I was already expecting it to be more than he said anyways.
Yes, all in. Sleeves, labor of installation and bore/hone/deck. Darton sleeves alone are $650. Nobody does sleeving for $600 all in. If they say they do, run away as fast as you are able.

razorlab is offline  
Old Feb 12, 2019, 09:30 AM
  #37  
Newbie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
MannyEvoX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 50
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
Yes, all in. Sleeves, labor of installation and bore/hone/deck. Darton sleeves alone are $650. Nobody does sleeving for $600 all in. If they say they do, run away as fast as you are able.
I got the sleeves off MAP for a little under $600, they were on sale. So a little over $1,800 for everything done. I was just confused cause on their website I saw they had listed prices for sleeving different cars and Evo X was like $1,600 with sleeves included so I was confused about that too. Like I said, I just wasn't expecting it. Maybe he was just trying to convince me to get sleeved because it would be better for this build and warranting my build? Idk? I'm alright with it and am glad it's done and now I can make more power reliably.
MannyEvoX is offline  
Old Feb 12, 2019, 09:32 AM
  #38  
EvoM Guru
iTrader: (8)
 
razorlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda, ca
Posts: 11,224
Thanked 250 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by MannyEvoX View Post
I got the sleeves off MAP for a little under $600, they were on sale. So a little over $1,800 for everything done. I was just confused cause on their website I saw they had listed prices for sleeving different cars and Evo X was like $1,600 with sleeves included so I was confused about that too. Like I said, I just wasn't expecting it. Maybe he was just trying to convince me to get sleeved because it would be better for this build and warranting my build? Idk? I'm alright with it and am glad it's done and now I can make more power reliably.
Ah got it, I see now. They charged you $1200 for JUST the labor and you bought the sleeves for an additional $600.

Either way you now have a very strong bottom end.
razorlab is offline  
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:34 AM
  #39  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
letsgetthisdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 11,859
Thanked 646 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by MannyEvoX View Post
I got the sleeves off MAP for a little under $600, they were on sale. So a little over $1,800 for everything done. I was just confused cause on their website I saw they had listed prices for sleeving different cars and Evo X was like $1,600 with sleeves included so I was confused about that too. Like I said, I just wasn't expecting it. Maybe he was just trying to convince me to get sleeved because it would be better for this build and warranting my build? Idk? I'm alright with it and am glad it's done and now I can make more power reliably.
You probably go charge more because you didn't buy the sleeves from them.
letsgetthisdone is offline  
Old Feb 13, 2019, 08:56 AM
  #40  
Newbie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
MannyEvoX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 50
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
Ah got it, I see now. They charged you $1200 for JUST the labor and you bought the sleeves for an additional $600.

Either way you now have a very strong bottom end.
Sorry I should of been more clear lol

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
You probably go charge more because you didn't buy the sleeves from them.
Idk because my tuner dropped off the block at their shop and asked them what sleeves they recommend, then he told me to order those sleeves and ship them to machining shop... So they could of just ordered it for me but I just did what I was told and who knows if they would of charged me full retail price.
Now the only thing that is worrying me is the wastegate actuator, he says that the one on the turbo is good enough, that they have enough room to play with because of the preload but I'm worried that I'm gonna end up needing the turbosmart actuator in order to run 35-40 PSI. Then they'll have to take the car apart again just for that small part. So I'm gonna talk to him today about it
MannyEvoX is offline  
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:32 AM
  #41  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
letsgetthisdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 11,859
Thanked 646 Times in 610 Posts
I hope you're planning to install a turbine shaft speed sensor if you're planning to push the turbo that hard.
letsgetthisdone is offline  
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:50 AM
  #42  
Newbie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
MannyEvoX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 50
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
I hope you're planning to install a turbine shaft speed sensor if you're planning to push the turbo that hard.
I just asked and he said no, can't log via cobb
MannyEvoX is offline  
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:51 PM
  #43  
EvoM Guru
iTrader: (8)
 
razorlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda, ca
Posts: 11,224
Thanked 250 Times in 221 Posts
I highly recommend dumping Cobb if you are shooting for 600+
razorlab is offline  
Old Feb 13, 2019, 01:28 PM
  #44  
Newbie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
MannyEvoX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 50
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
I highly recommend dumping Cobb if you are shooting for 600+
He feels comfortable enough to tune it on Cobb, I don't have an unlimited budget and I already have an AP. A lot of things I never knew about building something like this but I've already done as much as I could and am happy with everything and think it will all be worth it

Last edited by MannyEvoX; Feb 13, 2019 at 01:46 PM.
MannyEvoX is offline  
Old Feb 13, 2019, 03:00 PM
  #45  
Newbie
 
Turbosteve33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Chaparral, NM
Posts: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally just finished up my efr 9174 build on my X and still in the process of break-in. Coming from a wrx i was a definitely cobb fan. Until i got my X. I originally bought an AP to tune my build but realized really quick that open source was the way to go. So I sold it and used that money to get the Tactrix openport 2.0 and cable. Wouldnt go back to cobb unless i still had my subie lol.
I'm tuned on OS right now and even though its a little pain carrying around a laptop everywhere its worth in it IMO.
Turbosteve33 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.