Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Changed my clutch out and the car feels slower.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed my clutch out and the car feels slower.

Figured I'd pick some brains here, I'm a fairly avid car enthusiast and I know my way around a wrench. Hopefully I can get some constructive advice, I recently installed an Exedy OEM replacement clutch due to my previous clutch slipping at 60k miles and my gut is telling me that this clutch is making my car feel slower. I ran a smoke test for any boost leaks, checked for any loose connections, and unplugged the battery to reset the ECU.

Basically, it feels like my car wants to stall out everytime I hit an incline. The car doesn't throw me back in my seat anymore but it does not feel like the clutch is slipping at all. If I'm reversing and into my fairly steep driveway, the car wants to stall out when I roll off the clutch. I use to be able to just roll off the clutch and the car will want to launch backwards.

Another thing to note is I resurfaced the flywheel, replaced the transmission/transfer case fluids, replaced the spark plugs and I've tried bleeding the clutch line. I'm stumped, I've talked to other mechanics and they're telling me that they think it's highly unlikely that it's the clutch that's causing it.

I do not abuse the car and I'm a very mature driver. I almost never do any pulls and never get near redline. I've babied this car since I've owned it. Anyways, any constructive advice would be appreciated, I'm scratching my head at this one.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 06:19 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
How many miles on the new clutch? Many of us, after driving our tuned EvO's have that same comment of "Hey the car feels slower"

The new clutch is certainly going to give the initial engagement a diff feel

Recommend you properly break the clutch-in & after 500 miles report back

Just a thought
Old Nov 14, 2018, 07:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,323 Posts
The new clutch has a quicker engagement. Give it some throttle. The clutch did not make the car slower:.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had same feeling with new OEM clutch. It went away after 700 miles. Clutches need break in. Be gentle with it and just drive it casuallywithout getting in boost too much. Highway drives don't count ,so if you can do traffic runs, do that instead.