Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

New owner from uk, Problems already! :(

Old Feb 3, 2019, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner from uk, Problems already! :(

Hi everyone, my names Sam Benbow i'm from Pembrokeshire, Wales and 2 weeks ago i bought my FQ300 2008 Evo x. I love the car, for the most part! Other than that yesterday, whilst doing a long 400 mile drive the dreaded ayc service light came on. I went straight to my local garage for them to check with the diagnostics machine and lo and behold, the code C161E came up, My awc pump. . Absolutely not what i wanted. It's been pretty cold, like -4 degrees C, which i've heard can affect it. On the way home from the garage the abs and asc lights came on, fml. Then after about 10 mins driving, for no reason, the abs and asc lights turned off, until i started parking my car in my drive when they both came back on. I should probably mention that the sst gearbox was replaced about 1000 miles ago by a company called CPP Motor Developments whether that could have something to do with it i don't know. i have no idea whats going on but I've got 3 months warranty so i want to get it fixed asap, can anyone help me. Cheers in advance.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 05:25 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey Sam, welcome aboard

Great to have you join us on the boards. Also, good to hear you have some warranty to take care of this pump issue

Im not an EvOX owner & certainly not familiar w/the AYC system.

Cheers, Joe
Old Feb 3, 2019, 05:29 AM

Hi Joe, thanks for the welcome! hopefully this isn't a glimpse of whats to come!
Old Feb 3, 2019, 05:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Nothing that cant be fixed Sam. But for sure, going through mechanical failures can be trying

Hang out w/us on the boards & youll see some of the amazing "do it yourself" work that goes on in this grouping of EvO owners
Old Feb 3, 2019, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
AWC pump was built out of pot metal and then placed in a poor location for corrosion resistance. Mitsu knows this and so it is covered for 10/yr 100kmi (I received a letter a long time ago from them - extending coverage on THAT PART). Since your not going to be able to take advantage of that (directly from Mitsu) it is something like $3k USD for a full replacement. I bought my Evo brand new and mine went before 50kmi. Unless your in a desert environment, they die pretty fast. There is a rebuild kit out there offered for the pump too. Once mine was replaced by the dealer I sprayed it down with Fluid Film in a desperate attempt to prevent the INTERNAL corrosion from happening again. If you have a 3 month warranty - they need to replace the AWC pump entirely.

Good luck!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:40 AM

So bit of an update, iv'e got in contact with Indigo GT and they're going to sort it for me. Iv'e also got in contact with my warranty company and they seem positive that they'll be able to pay for the repair no problem. Fingers crossed! hopefully the beast should be up and running within the next week!

Search this Thread