Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Top Gear: Tokyo Gossip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2007, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evo L
lies, i smell a suby pay out...
I wouldn't be surprised if the STi is faster, in the straights, BUT, on the track, I highly doubt it. Evo X can do0.97 on the skidpad which is probably the best handling car in the segment.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jackygor
I wouldn't be surprised if the STi is faster, in the straights, BUT, on the track, I highly doubt it. Evo X can do0.97 on the skidpad which is probably the best handling car in the segment.

A high skidpad number does NOT equal 'best handling.' You can slap on some R compounds on a regular Lancer and it will better the skidpad numbers from an Evo. But that doesn't mean it handles great.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
go subi
Old Oct 31, 2007, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cksdayoff
evo x, head on, looks like a shark

2008 sti, head on, looks like shrek, or a donkey.

Old Oct 31, 2007, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

konnichiwa from japan. i guess i can contribute to this thread since ive driven the new sti (test drive with evo tomorrow).

so far, i'm sold on the sti. i got to drive it pretty hard for the time i had it on the road, but i didn't get to do any high speed testing on it since the dealership was smack dab in the middle of tokyo. i still got to take it to 80-90 km/h (which is only around 45-50 ish) since the speed limit was only 40 km/h

as far as power delivery, it's very smooth. turbo lag is very minimal, even with the 2.0l version japan has. it sometimes feels like an N/A car, especially from a roll. the interior is Very Nice (compared to the X. i checked one out at the tokyo motor show and i was not impressed) but interior is not really a concern for me when buying a type of vehicle like this. the handling is GREAT, car feels like it's on rails. i "accidentally" scared the sales lady riding with me taking a right turn at nearly 80 km/h (remember, japanese people drive on the left) and the car just turned, no drama, no tires squealing. steering isn't as responsive as my evo 8, but its pretty damn close. i absolutely love the styling minus the altezza-style taillights, but nothing bluebatmobile can't fix. the boxer rumble has always been one of my favorite engine sounds and throwing in the 5dr hatchback model was just icing on the cake (great for my snowboards). i'll be reportin back with a test drive from the evo x sometime this week so stay tuned.

on another note, dealerships here are completely different from american stealerships. salesman are very polite, actually KNOW the specs of the cars, AND they provide brochures b4 u even get the chance to ask them. funny tho how sti "salesmen" are mostly all females. some of them are hella cute too . btw, the gt-r was Sick!! i got to sit in the cockpit with the computer on and play with all the gadgets. i am def gonna sell my lung and kidney for a black one
Old Oct 31, 2007, 07:54 AM

Great write up can't wait to hear what you think about the X.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lnzk41... Thanks for the info. Did you test drive the STI with recaro seats?
Look forward to your report on X!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Top said STI is getting better.

http://www.topgear.com/blogs/drives/...preza-wrx-sti/
Old Nov 6, 2007, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Top Gear has always been partial to the Sti over the Evo. In one comparison test the evo completely dominated the STI, but they still prefered the sti..what gives?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by lznk41
i absolutely love the styling minus the altezza-style taillights, but nothing bluebatmobile can't fix. the boxer rumble has always been one of my favorite engine sounds and throwing in the 5dr hatchback model was just icing on the cake (great for my snowboards). i'll be reportin back with a test drive from the evo x sometime this week so stay tuned.

I'm kind of on the same page. Love the evo look, but like the sti's interior much better, rumble of the engine as well as hatch styling (for my skis etc). I also think that subie might end up being more reliable. If sti is going to end up being faster I'm going to be sold on it. I can tell it's gonna be a hard decision for me when these 2 beasts come out.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thedread
Top Gear has always been partial to the Sti over the Evo. In one comparison test the evo completely dominated the STI, but they still prefered the sti..what gives?
They're old men...what do you expect? Jeremy Clarkson still thinks the Jaguar XK is the greatest car ever made. He's on record as saying he hates the Porsche 997 GT3 RS, for example, but loves the Audi R8. In other words, just like your dad

They always say the same thing about the Evo vs. STi on BBC Top Gear. The Evo is faster, more responsive, and more thrilling to drive. But they prefer the STi because it's less frantic, easier to drive, and has a softer suspension and plusher interior.

It's the exact opposite on Channel 5's Fifth Gear. The three primary reviewers there (Tiff Needel, Vicky Butler-Henderson, and Jason Plato) are all racers with BTCC, rally, LeMans, and even F1 experience between them. They value different things in cars compared to the old men on Top Gear. The Fifth Gear crew always find the Evo > STi. They especially love the Evo VI and use it as the benchmark for AWD super saloons.

Emre
Old Nov 7, 2007, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

that's only 2nd or 3rd hand information. until they get their hands dirty to that two cars and with the stig. Evo was their all time favorite if you look back at all evo vs sti top gear vids.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cosmos
I'm kind of on the same page. Love the evo look, but like the sti's interior much better, rumble of the engine as well as hatch styling (for my skis etc). I also think that subie might end up being more reliable. If sti is going to end up being faster I'm going to be sold on it. I can tell it's gonna be a hard decision for me when these 2 beasts come out.

If the rumors are correct the STI wil be 200 to 300 hundred lbs lighter with 20 more horses than the EVO which means it should be quicker in the straights. Hopefully (assuming the rumors are correct) the EVO will rectify the power situation with the next edition
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thedread
If the rumors are correct the STI wil be 200 to 300 hundred lbs lighter
i doubt it

the weight diff. between the jdm sti and jdm X is only about 40kg (88lbs)
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mhgsx
A high skidpad number does NOT equal 'best handling.' You can slap on some R compounds on a regular Lancer and it will better the skidpad numbers from an Evo. But that doesn't mean it handles great.
+1

Quick Reply: Top Gear: Tokyo Gossip