Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Edmunds.com: Evo vs. STi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edmunds.com: Evo vs. STi

here's a comparison on edmunds.com: Title Fight. both cars are JDM spec.

Last edited by deegers82; Dec 11, 2007 at 04:05 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 04:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Very interesting. Is Edmunds saying that we are getting a more powerful version than Japan?

"This turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-4 produces 276 hp at 6,500 rpm (the U.S. version is expected to produce 295 hp), and it makes 300 lb-ft of torque at 4,000 rpm. Thanks to the close-ratio gearbox, the Evo X gets to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds."

4.9 is MUCH better than the 5.3-5.4 we've been reading about.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

^that's why you can't judge anything off one or two road tests.

i wish the tcc-sst version came out so edmunds could have pitted that against the sti.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

Edmunds says that its 0-60mph times for the STi are from the manufacturer; are we sure that the Evo X's 4.9 to 60 mph is not a manufacturer supplied time as well?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 05:40 AM

4.9 does sound MUCH better but. . .doesn't that still refer to the JDM version?

These cars are out in less than a month and a half in this country, why can't these car publications test the US spec instead of repetitly testing the JDM? They could have just waited about a month and done a true test!

"The Evo X's close-ratio manual gearbox is clearly meant to be the racer's choice, because 5th gear is so tall it's only usable for highway cruising, and it handicaps the Mitsubishi against the Subaru."

The Evo X has so many aspects about it that just make me shake my head and wonder why oh why in the world would Mitsu make it like this instead of doing what makes sense?

"It's not an easy choice. Who would you pick as your bodyguard: Jean-Claude Van Damme or Jet Li?"

haha Edmunds. . .are you serious, anyone who picks Jean Claude Van Damme is a RETARD

Last edited by LivinJUGGERNAUT; Dec 11, 2007 at 05:57 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LivinJUGGERNAUT
4.9 does sound MUCH better but. . .doesn't that still refer to the JDM version?

These cars are out in less than a month and a half in this country, why can't these car publications test the US spec instead of repetitly testing the JDM? They could have just waited about a month and done a true test!

"The Evo X's close-ratio manual gearbox is clearly meant to be the racer's choice, because 5th gear is so tall it's only usable for highway cruising, and it handicaps the Mitsubishi against the Subaru."

The Evo X has so many aspects about it that just make me shake my head and wonder why oh why in the world would Mitsu make it like this instead of doing what makes sense?
Yeah 4.9 Seconds is for the JDM version, but what was worriesome (to me at least) is that some initial tests were getting mid 5s even for the JDM version. I am happy about this test. I agree with you though, I really hope they get a hold of a USDM production model and test it. I believe the USDM model gains roughly 150Lbs to it's JDM counterpart, so I would expect 0-60 times of 5.0 to 5.2 Seconds (very acceptable in my opinion). But I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Last edited by 3000ways; Dec 11, 2007 at 06:28 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

4.9 is very good....I don't really care if the X is slower or faster than previous generations, As long as it can beat the STI.....hope the U.S. power boost is for real, that might make it as fast or faster.......like the STI
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

The 276hp rating in Japan is just a rating, the car probably makes the same power (or maybe more) as the US model. Actually, enough with the assumptions, we won't know the true power until these cars get on a dyno. All I know is that any dyno numbers (dynojet) that are 260+ I will be happy with, any numbers that are less than 260, I will be pretty disappointed with.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice i changed my mind again and it will be an X 0-60------5.0-5.3 is ok
Old Dec 11, 2007, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Edmunds numbers are usually slower that other car magazines.

I think everybody needs to wait for a full test of the Evo. Pre-production cars can always be a bit slower, especially if the cars are not at 100%

Everybody is going into an emotional crisis about how slow the Evo is. With only 276 hp, I'm surprised the Evo did 4.9 sec with 25 less hp than the STI.

A US spec version will have 300. Shouldn't that be good for another few tenths and get it down to 4.7 or so?

Last edited by jperryrocks; Dec 11, 2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
Edmunds numbers are usually slower that other car magazines.

I think everybody needs to wait for a full test of the Evo. Pre-production cars can always be a bit slower, especially if the cars are not at 100%

Everybody is going into an emotional crisis about how slow the Evo is. With only 276 hp, I'm surprised the Evo did 4.9 sec with 25 less hp than the STI.

A US spec version will have 300. Shouldn't that be good for another few tenths and get it down to 4.7 or so?
The 276hp rating really isn't correct. Mitsu. is still sticking to the gentlemen's agreement among Japanese auto companies to not post HP #'s higher then 276hp. Subaru (among other JDM manufactuers) have already broken that agreement. I'm not sure why Mitsu. is sticking to it.
Anyway, actual HP figures for the JDM spec. Evo X's is around 295hp.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deegers82
here's a comparison on edmunds.com: Title Fight. both cars are JDM spec.
are they sure it was an X lol how about they tested an IX accidently i am very impressed with this article and will wait until evo-X arive
Old Dec 12, 2007, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

I never thought this day would come: I don't care to read an Evo/STI match. I read the first few sentences of fluff and scrolled down right through it. Ugh. These cars disappoint.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO X Owner-2-B
I never thought this day would come: I don't care to read an Evo/STI match. I read the first few sentences of fluff and scrolled down right through it. Ugh. These cars disappoint.
I agree, overall the handling opinions seem to be a pretty fair assessment, however if the opening line is, "We went to Japan to test these cars..." I don't really care to read any further. I want to know how the USDM versions fair. Especially considering the STI has more power (305hp) and the X only has 291hp. This article really doesnt say anything new .
Old Dec 12, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

if thats the case, that you "dont care about jdm comparisons" then why are most people here making a big deal out of the best motoring vid

Quick Reply: Edmunds.com: Evo vs. STi