Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

I have seen the light, the EVO X is growing on me!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2008, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have seen the light, the EVO X is growing on me!!!

I have been very skeptical about the EVO X vs. the EVO VII, VIII and IX but, recently on the GT-R forums I realized that change is hard for some of us to accept. As they are having the same issues and discussions with the R35 GT-R vs the R34 Skyline GT-R. I loved the older R34, it was a real beast!!! However, the new GT-R will and is setting a new standard for many cars out of most peoples price range.

That being said it made me open my eyes drastically. The X is a better car in so many ways already and it just came out. The older EVO with its 4g63 had so much time and attention from tuners that we seem to focus on what it has done and end up putting the horse blinders on in an attempt to defend and justify what we spent our hard earned cash on. If you take a step back and look at what the X offers at a price that is very reasonable you will see that it is gonna be one hell of a car. Thus the future EVOLUTION of the EVO will continue to be in great hands with this new platform. Most of the tuners on these forums are already singing the praises of the new platforms increased potential but their inputs seem to be falling on deaf ears.

It took me realizing that I want a new GT-R instead of paying too much for a used and abused EVO IX to figure this out. I was stuck in the older was better mindset and therefor I scanned every EVO IX in the last 15 pages of "Cars for sale" forums for months looking at the prices that make you sick to your stomach, trying to find one for me. I finally got pissed off and said "to hell with it" then someone asked me why I didn't just buy the new GT-R instead of the 335xi and IX and then it clicked in my head. I realized that I have wanted a GT-R very badly for many years and now I can actually afford one. I would get an EVO X but the wife wants the BMW...

I started researching the new GT-R and oh my gosshhh!!! It is a beast but damn that price tag is sickening at just over $70k for MSRP . Back on topic here, you see there are a lot of negative things being said about the abandonment of the oh so proven RB26DETT and that chassis. They feel same way as the VIII and IX owners feel about an entirely new and redesigned X. But the new GT-R is already changing their hearts and minds by proving it is a more than a competent successor, it is a turning point in the future of sports car standards. It will send many expensive auto makers back to the drawing board to try and get back in the race which in the end is great news for us the consumers.

But to be blunt and to the point if I were gonna buy an EVO I would buy the new X because it incorporates all the niceties needed to be a daily commuter, better handling, outstanding tuning potential(Not everyone wants a 1,000hp EVO) as well as a new look that doesn't cause every F'ing Police Officer to lick their chops when they see you coming. It really seems to appeal to a broader range of the market which in the end is great for the community. People with children that never bought the older EVO are buying these things now. Too me it appears that Mitsu has hit a home run with the new EVO X.

BTW, I still love every EVO ever made and appreciate all of their contributions to the namesake Lancer EVOLUTION.

Thanks for reading, that was my unbiased opinion...

-Nate

A quick GT-R R35 plug:
*It did the ring in 7'38"54 with some wet conditions this faster than both the Porsche turbo, Z06 and many cars more than twice its price.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TMXr2ReNhk

*It does 0-60 in 3.3 and the 1/4mile in 11.6 at nearly 121mph(Inside line).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDoJdQXmwu8

Last edited by EVO-8-Nate; Feb 9, 2008 at 04:46 AM.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 04:46 AM
Lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm also probably getting a GT-R, sick car isnt it Just have to stop myself from buying a R34 first lol.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 04:49 AM
Evolving Member

The new GTR has grabbed my attention too, but the current dealer markups are going to put it out of reach for awhile. My local dealership is getting 4 but is marking them up $40,000.
I drove an X yesterday and loved it. If I can get a good price for my IX, I may buy one.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lex
I'm also probably getting a GT-R, sick car isnt it Just have to stop myself from buying a R34 first lol.
It is sick!!! I got the OK from my wife to get the GT-R. I am living in Japan right now and I drive a Honda Torneo SiR it has a 190hp blue top VTEC engine/ traction control/ stability assist/ adjustable power steering level and it is completely stock(not bad for a beater).

I wanted a GT-R and didn't really care R32/33/34... But, my wife talked me out of it and said that if I got a cheaper beater here I could get a nicer car when we get back to the States.

Now I get an R35 GT-R... What a deal huh!!!!

Stay strong and wait for the R35 it is worth it,

-Nate
Old Feb 9, 2008, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmsrx
The new GTR has grabbed my attention too, but the current dealer markups are going to put it out of reach for awhile. My local dealership is getting 4 but is marking them up $40,000.
I drove an X yesterday and loved it. If I can get a good price for my IX, I may buy one.
Read this Nissan is taking steps to stop the price gouging and damage the whole performance bang for the buc reason to even purchase the GT-R.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=124681#4

I am very happy with what the Nissan camp is doing to try and stop and/or reduce the dealer price gouging. For us consumers dealing with management is a much better solution, rather than dealing with the sometimes shady car salesmen whom work on a commission and aren't used to dealing with a car in this price range or of this magnitude. Quite simply put some of the salesmen might be capable but most are just trying to squeeze every last cent out of the customer. BTW, If you haven't noticed I hate dealing with car salesmen. I find that most of the time they don't know nor care to know about the product in which they are selling. This irritates me to no end. Before I even look at a car, I research it as much as possible, so I generally know more about it than any of them. I think that makes me an automobile enthusiast.

I will say that this doesn't apply to the BMW dealerships that I have visited. They have been very straight forward and knowledgeable of their products in my experiences.

End rant....

-Nate
Old Feb 9, 2008, 05:57 AM
Lex

Yeah, I've always had good experiences with my BMW dealership. Now Ducati on the other hand...blergh.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

If there is a car that I would trade my EVO 8 in for - it would be the GT-R. Period.

The car would be extremely expensive (for the next 6 years), but I wouldn't have to upgrade at all..
Old Feb 9, 2008, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
This is a very honest write up. i like it.
thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
If there is a car that I would trade my EVO 8 in for - it would be the GT-R. Period.

The car would be extremely expensive (for the next 6 years), but I wouldn't have to upgrade at all..
Dude, upgrading is the best part I love adding stuff to my car and seeing what it does!

Great write-up Nate. Humans tend to react with emotion first, then logic secondly, I think that sums up what you are saying pretty well. Mitsu makes some amazing cars, that is for sure. Out of curiosity, is everyone on the GT-R forums wondering if the motor will do 1000 WHP, and until it does they think it sucks? I would go read it, but I get my fill of bs here already so I have no room for it
Old Feb 9, 2008, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

That's what's so cool about the evo, it may not be anywhere near as fast, but technically speaking the AWD system on the evo is even more advanced than the gt-r. The gt-r is a much nicer car, don't get me wrong, and a much better performer. For what it costs, it should be. However, it has a more basic awd system and makes it's great handling and braking numbers from being low and stiff, and having a great weight balance. Put some stiff coilovers on the evo and drop the ride height, and I'll bet my left ******** that it beats the skyline in any handling and braking test because of the S-AWC and all the crazy technologies incorporated into it, the STAR of which is definitely the AYC. Now straight line speed, the evo would get killed, but that's what mods are for. It's a 33,000 dollar car compared to a 70,000 dollar car, c'mon. Why do you think the interior is so cheap and basic in the evo's? Every penny you paid goes towards the engine and tranny. Hey, more power to you man, if I could afford a GT-R, I would buy one too!

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Feb 9, 2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Nice write up Nate.
Although I was one of many who initially did not care much about evo X, I'm definitely starting to warm up to it.
I plan on test drivig it as soon as local dealers receive them.
However, I do lament the demise of a true homologation special like the last gen evos as a long time fan of rally racing.
I would say it is the fact the new evo appeals to broader range of the market that has made me hesitant about the new car.
I have always enjoyed that I'm a member of a small group who were willing to sacrifice comfort and luxury for owning a such focused car.
Personally, I plan on keeping my car for another 3 or 4 years and upgrading to new M3.
The pics of ericcson M3 has been making me drool for awhle .

Lex, could you pm me you opinion and experience with the new Ducati 848.
I have been thinking of purchasing it and would love to hear some personal experiece with the machine.
Sorry about .
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

I will be buying a GT-R, but I will wait at least a year for the price to come down. So for the time being I am going to buy a Evo X.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
That's what's so cool about the evo, it may not be anywhere near as fast, but technically speaking the AWD system on the evo is even more advanced than the gt-r. The gt-r is a much nicer car, don't get me wrong, and a much better performer. For what it costs, it should be. However, it has a more basic awd system and makes it's great handling and braking numbers from being low and stiff, and having a great weight balance. Put some stiff coilovers on the evo and drop the ride height, and I'll bet my left ******** that it beats the skyline in any handling and braking test because of the S-AWC and all the crazy technologies incorporated into it, the STAR of which is definitely the AYC. Now straight line speed, the evo would get killed, but that's what mods are for. It's a 33,000 dollar car compared to a 70,000 dollar car, c'mon. Why do you think the interior is so cheap and basic in the evo's? Every penny you paid goes towards the engine and tranny. Hey, more power to you man, if I could afford a GT-R, I would buy one too!
What makes you think the GT-R doesn't have a similarly advanced AWD system?

And why talk about modding the X to make up for it's shortcomings compared to the GT-R? We are talking about stock-for-stock.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nastyevo8
I will be buying a GT-R, but I will wait at least a year for the price to come down. So for the time being I am going to buy a Evo X.
Man, some of you guys have a s&*% load of money to spend.. I'm jealous!
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Just remember as everyone is waiting for the price to come down it wont.. I have seen 1000 posts of people that will wait for the price to come down on the GTR.. i have feeling there will a premium for the car until the used car market starts to get flooded with them..

Quick Reply: I have seen the light, the EVO X is growing on me!!!