Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Gravel+evox= new paint job

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well she didn't tailgate at all. She has been driving our show cars for years, and trust me niether her or I tailgate. We bought the car on the 17 of january so it had some time to cure. As a matter of fact there were chips on every panel except for the trunk. When she would get passed, or when she passed the gravel sprayed up on the doors. The guy that runs the shop said its one of the worse gravel claims he had ever seen. He was like it looks like your car has 100000 miles on it. Anyways I wish I would have got more pics, but I didn't wasn't thinking at the time.
Hell her best friend was following her and her car, which is a c230 mercedes, got ruined too. Broken windshield and all. Though her paint wasn't nearly as bad.

Oh on a side note like I said before the paint quality is not very good. The piant colors didn't match, on multiple panels. The clear coat must be some what brittle and can scratch easily. Anyways I'm just glad its getting fixed.

Last edited by riceviper; Feb 15, 2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:05 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Sucks, sorry to hear.
I need to go check mine, because I have noticed a bit after getting off that long interstate trip from pebbles and road debris kicked up by trucks on the interstate.

Last edited by Noize; Feb 15, 2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:33 AM
Account Disabled

^+1
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

New paint job is looking awesome!

l8r)
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:46 AM

How much is the total going to be to repaint it? I'm thinking about doing the same and was wondering how much it would set me back to get a custom paint job.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
That looks like an awesome color. Love the scheme with the black top, and the hood looks bad-***.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Crappy deal, your insurance covering the repaint? If so then consider yourself lucky (unless your rates increase!). Is that the OEM color? Or are you doing something else? You may very well have the first custom paint-job X!
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:02 AM

You know those signs on trucks...the ones that say "not responsible for [broken/cracked/chipped/whatever] windshields"???

Well, they are responsible in Colorado and maybe in other states too. I would've written down some plate numbers on that little drive ya'll took...just in case.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:22 AM

Ya talked to the insurance company before we even mad a claim, and they said that it will not effect our premium. Well all im saying is im taking my hot off for state farm.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:25 AM

got any more pics of the progress riceviper?
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For a custom paint job like that, I'll let my factory paint get screwed up . The end result looks SICK! And now you have the first custom Evo in the US.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:03 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
***PLEASE READ:***

OK, I posted before inspecting my car more closely.

I did do a cross country trip through every kind of weather imaginable, but I have a similar damaged paint effect on the sideskirts in front of the rear wheels and just above them on the rear doors.

It usually just looked like the car was dirty from a distance, or kicking up water, etc. I went out there and cleaned it thoroughly, and its pretty obvious in those spots. It almost looks like someone took a Brillo pad to the car. I'd snap a pic (I need to take pics of my pimpy new leather shift boot anyway), but the digital cam has been at my wife's work for a week. I'll call her and have her bring it home tonight.

Anyway, I think the front wheels need mud flaps. Where the contour of the car bulges in the back, it catches all kinds of road debris... Like 100 times more contact that the car should be subjected to. So in my opinion, this is not a paint quality issue, but a body design engineering goof on the X since its convexed and becomes like a target for road debris. The paint might be a bit of the factor here, but this part of the body is directly in the spray line of the front wheels, and thus means it gets infinitely more road debris than even the nose of a car does. I'd liken it to following a car way too close, ALWAYS. Its really bad, and IMO going to show up on a lot more cars.

If we are seeing it this fast, its going to be rampant soon, I'm afraid.

I'll go as far to say this: If you are going to drive your Evo any distance at all, you need to speed tape the back foot and a half of your sideskirts in front of the rear wheels and tape the bottom of the door diagonally about 6" out from the clear cover line Mitsu already has on there. This should protect you if you go deep enough. I can't imagine what it would look like if I had tracked the car, because I am sure at higher speeds it would just annhiliate the paint.

All that to say, I am afraid it will happen again, even with good paint. The shape of the car means mud flaps or something like them are almost mandatory.

Last edited by Noize; Feb 15, 2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

There's no way any paint would stand up to that kind of punishment. Sorry about your car. I wouldn't blame Mitsu. for it though.
The paint mismatch issue happens whenever paint with metallic flake is used and the parts are not paint in place (separate from the parts they sit next to on the car). It sucks I know but it's pretty common.
Car looks cool with the gray/black out peices.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:57 PM

Hey i have a question, on the front bumper the center black piece comes off???? Cause in the pic with the bumper off i dont see the center really, it looks like a open mouth.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:00 PM

I'm not blaming mitsu for what happen. Just saying that using a slow drying clear, and having a little higher quality would deffently help. Though you would think that the factory could come up with a process to get the colors to match. Well im heading to the body shop soon to see if anything else is done. If there is any changes I'll take pics and post them tonight.

Quick Reply: Gravel+evox= new paint job