Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Track day results

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2008, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if the Calipers on the X turn purple like the 8-9's after a couple of track days?
Old Mar 5, 2008, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by machron1
And about the ASC, I understand the operation in theory, but what parts of the track can you run absolutely flat-out with the ASC in "maximum nanny" mode? Like, after the chicane, can you pretty much just floor it, shift as necessary, and let the ECU figure out how much throttle/brake to give it till maybe the end of the back straight? Seems like such an aggressive power cut combined with the active braking, it could very well just act like a racing game with all the driving aids turned on if you wanted it to. I'm not suggesting that's a fun thing to do, I'm just curious as to how effective the system is when the nannies are in charge of maximum attack...
Sweet! Yeah, I remember you! If you leave the ASC system completely on, its very debilitating when coming out of the turns. It really kills your power, and staggers you out of a turn. It would be near impossible to go off the track though with all the systems engaged. In the ASC Off mode, but not disabled, it ran very smooth, and I could apply power immediately at the apex and just point the car. Good examples of this can be seen in turn 7 (The hairpin). I need to break some old VIII driving habits though to really maximize on this.

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Where you using stock brake pads?
Yep, stock pads, and I had no brake fade all day long. On my VIII, I boiled my brakes on the first day.

Originally Posted by machron1
for reference, it looked like PDXevo was braking around the 400-300 mark. for what it's worth, with hawk blues and 300 or so less pounds, my point was not much closer than that if any, depending on whether i was hard on the brakes after just passing someone fast.
Good eye! I was braking at ~300 mark. I could definitely brake later though, I was just being too much of a puss. Also, this car doesnt get into the 130 mph range like the VIII did. It gets to just over 120 on the straight sections. Granted, we have more weight to stop now then we did before. I think the brake improvements come from the air guides, and the larger calipers dissipating the heat better.

Originally Posted by Atlmethevo
Man I really want a MR now, watching that video was like when I went from my NSX to my evo, 100% different. In the evo you keep in the gas and steer that way, do that in the NSX and you spin around. So in this evo do you just keep in the gas to keep the car planed or trail break?
You cant take it to the extreme and just drive with your foot to the floor, but you can definitely apply power earlier. You still need to drive it like any other car, but the chances of spinning out are near 0 now. You just point the car where you want it, give some throttle, and hold the line. You still need to do limits testing, since the car cant defy physics, but the way it holds is still very impressive. The vectoring it does around the turns is quite an amazing feeling.

Originally Posted by delkat
Does anyone know if the Calipers on the X turn purple like the 8-9's after a couple of track days?
Yep Mine are already starting to darken. I call it, "I use my car for its purpose" proof.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ I watched the vid and the brakes probably held because you were driving an easy track at 7/10ths.

None the less... fun to watch and great to see a brand new car out doing what its best at.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
^ I watched the vid and the brakes probably held because you were driving an easy track at 7/10ths.

None the less... fun to watch and great to see a brand new car out doing what its best at.
PIR is well known for eating up brakes. The "easiness" of the track is relative to the driver. For example, to someone that has never driven before, PIR is an impossibly hard track. But to someone who has done several hundred hours of performance driving, its a much easier track. This doesnt change the fact that this track still eats up your brakes. I did a lot of track events here with my VIII, and I had to replace rotors and brakes after the second track event. Something about going from 130+ to 40 over and over again Also, the brakes on my VIII would have surely had quite a lot of brake fade by the 4th lap. It always happened, even with the high end fluids.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 08:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
You should have seen where I was the first few runs of the day. It took me awhile to figure out the back hairpin. In fact, I never could figure it out, and had to get one of the pro guys show me the best way to hit it.

I've got a really funny video of that same guy trying to drive the Evo, but because of the handling aspects, he kept thinking the car was going to spin out of control. So he freaks out in one of the turns, trys to correct the steering, and ends up sending us off track exit. Quite amusing, you can hear laughing all around. Ill get that video up soon.
Originally Posted by Noize
It is scary as crap when it kicks in as you fully committ on corner entry. I countersteered mine a bit too. I need to get on track so I can fully explore it instead of backroads.
FAITH brothers....so many times the owners of the VII-IX's I put a "fast" setup on (= loose like nils brute). I have to say don't counter steer just floor it when you can look through the apex to the exit! lol...

I have set my fastest time with the car in full open mode (hold down the button 3 secs+) and gravel on the ACD.. but I like a car you can "Back" in..;-)

nice vid! keep em coming
Old Mar 5, 2008, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Why gravel Robi? I am new to the ACD stuff, and didnt follow it much on the IX. From what I understand, it splits the power more equally over all the tires (50/50 split), where as the tarmac does more to the back. Isnt it more beneficial to have more power to the back to help turn the car?

You are a much more senior driver then I am, so please take this as me asking for knowledge, not stating fact, or disagreeing with you. I am also working with Vivid to get you to hook a brother up with your suspension
Old Mar 5, 2008, 08:56 PM
Former Sponsor

the acd is "counter intuitive" as it doesn't change the % split just how tightly bound each end is to the other (to get all 4 tires to play nice together) Tarmac is the LEAST tied together as the traction at the wheel is the highest snow has the center dif locked as the tires can spin or slide and not cause undue binding in the rest of the system, gravel locks it up but provides for some slippage ideal for track sessions with one end being forcer to slide. The car looks good but you need some suspension to keep that car flat!
Old Mar 5, 2008, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

^^^^^^^^^
I believe the latest issue of Grassroots Motorsports also talked about the gravel setting being superior for the track.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info Robi. I will flip that mode on for the next session!