Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

So who else would like to see a normal 6 speed in the Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So who else would like to see a normal 6 speed in the Evo?

I have been doing a lot of reading, some of the things that I have read have been speculation (MR) and some have been factual (GSR), but through all of it I have come to the conclusion that I would like to see a normal 6 speed standard in the Evo X. I do not care if it is in either the GSR or MR, but I think that the 5 speed gearing is a bit short, and the SST transmission just worries me. I think that the SST is a great idea and in theory would probably be the best real world choice for those looking for an every day driver that they are not hell bent on drag racing. The auto mode from what I have read is leaps and bounds above existing sequential boxes and this come into play when I want to use the wifes SUV to haul my R/C airplanes and helicopters to the field to fly. I would much rather her be able to put the Evo in drive and go.

But seeing as it is supposidly non servicable (the VW DSG has replacable/upgradable clutches) then I just do not want to be one of the guys who finds out the hard way that a wee bit more work needs to be done to it.

The 5 speed looks to be bullet proof even if it is notchy, but the revs in 5th on the highway are simply too much. A bandaid fix would be to lower the 5th gear ratio from .761 to perhaps a .65, but a better overall fix (in my opinion) would be to move the final ratio from a 4.687 to a 4.4 or so. (The VIII and IX had a 4.529 final) Yes that would knock a bit off of the initial dig, but that is really not what I would be looking for anyway.

But the best solution in my eyes would be to leave all of the ratio's alone and make a 6 speed manual with a .60-.65 6th. No worries about the SST holding more then the stock amount of power (and who knows, it may have issues with stock) and you would have the initial short ratio's along with the fairly deep overdrive. Not as deep as some of the GM trannies that run around a .5 but sufficient.

By my math (which very well could be very wrong) the 5 speed works out to 2885 RPM's at 60 and 3367 at 70 with the stock 245/40-18's. The MR which actually has a higher numerical 6th at .775, but a much lower (numerical) final of 4.062 works out to 2548 at 60 and 2974 at 70 looks pretty good. Noize can probably say if this is correct in the real world or not as he also looks at numbers a lot.

So Mitsubishi, are you reading? Knock-knock...hellooo....

Who else would like a 6 speed?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. I found it very interesting the GSR came with the "refined 5-speed" I was like "What? 5 Speed? What the hell, 5 speeds are old news for high-performance machines." I do a 40 mile commute in the morning to work. Obviously I'm not the shortest, nor am I the longest. I usually go about 65-70 mph, the tach hovers around the 3.3 range. I thought that was a bit much, but my GFs M3 does a bit worse in 5th gear tach wise. So I guess I can live with the 5. But next time, seriously, 6, come on.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

yea I wish they had put a 6 speed in the GSR .. I feel like it needs another gear on the highway ..
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:53 AM

I would deff have to go back an rethink my decision on getting the MR if there was a 6sp Manual available.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:00 AM

all of us ( i bet)

I´m sure all of us would like a 6 speed manual trans!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

I'd go for a 6 speed. I have one now in my GTI and it helps out a lot.

Granted, most 6 speeds don't really have that much taller final drive just have closer gear ratio's. I guess it all depends on how Mitsu wants to design it.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

If the 6 speed were as sturdy as the 5 speed, I'd be all for it. But it is pretty well known that the Evo 6-speeds are a little on the weak side.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boostd4
If the 6 speed were as sturdy as the 5 speed, I'd be all for it. But it is pretty well known that the Evo 6-speeds are a little on the weak side.
quote for truth!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Should have been a 6 speed but the marketing/bean counters won out.

Maybe in a year or two they'll bring out a 6 speed when sales have gone down. (sarcasm)
Old Apr 17, 2008, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

its a sales thing... a 6 speed on the evo in the later years will make the evo look alot better and cost almost nothing! i dont blame thing for doing it...all cars makers do this...anyway driving on the highway isent bad at all in 5th gear... but i would still like to see 6 gears... but the real question is am i willing to trade in my evo x for a later evo?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

I hope they make a stronger 6 speed too. Although I love my current 6 speed and nothings busted (yea ok its on my IX).
Old Apr 17, 2008, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

The 6 speed will become standard equipment in the future, just like the aluminum roof.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Yea, I have been away from the boards from a while after selling my VIII so I was unaware of the issues withthe six speed. Maybe it would be better to have the five, I just wish the final ratio was not so steep. I could deal with the tradoff of not getting out of the hole as fast.

Maybe the GSR is what I need. I am looking at Katskin now on another tab. I just preffer leather, it's that simple. I would not mind suade on the bolsters of vice versa for a bit of grip, but I am about done with cloth... Call me petty and roll me over..
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i like to have a strong 5 speed over the "sounds good" only 6 speed.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

A strong 6 speed would be great. I would take a slightly taller final drive too. Its just not practical such short gearing for a car that spends most of its like not racing.

I would say that they should just have those short gears in an Evo RS type model.

Quick Reply: So who else would like to see a normal 6 speed in the Evo?