Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

AMS Equipped EVO X MR from our friends at Mitsubishi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2008, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by machron1
Good news for MR + bolt-ons!!!!!!! Guess the SST won't REALLY catch fire as soon as the word "modification" is uttered within 100 feet of it...like all the naysayers keep saying...
I was actually curious bout this myself as I was told from the source that the SST would shut things down with the first hint of a mod. So I called up mitsu yesterday to check in on that. I guess this was sort of an experiment to see what would happen and so far the car is not shutting down, but this is not a full production one and they did mention wanting to test it on one before knowing whether or not simple mods would shut it down. From what I have been told, even they expected it no to work. But if it does, thats great news for us as a 350whp MR would be my choice and it means even bigger things for the ralliart since that starts with far less hp, but has the same engine and transmission
Old Apr 30, 2008, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So did Mitsu do something about the transmission overheating with "spirited" driving?
All those nice mods i think would make it overheat quicker with the added power and all.
I heard that thats why they were not offering the SST in the FQ trim across the pond

I hope that there will be no issues with the new power

Great stuff
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wspy
So did Mitsu do something about the transmission overheating with "spirited" driving?
All those nice mods i think would make it overheat quicker with the added power and all.
I heard that thats why they were not offering the SST in the FQ trim across the pond

I hope that there will be no issues with the new power

Great stuff
We beat the crap out of two MRs for a full track day and never had an issue with overheating. Only time they claim one will encounter this issues is repeated back to back launches in launch mode. Otherwise, no problem. Now with modifications is a different story and I know thats part of what they are checking out with this AMS modified car
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:21 AM

I'm a bit surprised that this isn't more of a big deal. Everyone is suspecting the MR as being non-tunable and having major issues, but AMS seems to proving them wrong. Wouldn't this be considered big news for the MR?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Only if the production examples respond well, the car that AMS had was a preproduction like CharlesJ said. According to his source even some Mitsubishi insiders have speculated that the production examples could have an algorythm to where the TCM talks to the ECU and that if the TCM thinks that there is too much tq coming into the tranny that it will tell the ECU to cut back power.

I have an 06 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison combination and the TCM deffinatly talks to the ECU. Any time the tranny shifts it tells the ECU to defuel until the clutch packs lock up. It is very noticable and you can feel it during shifts. It does not pull back power due to a percieved overtorque though. It will only completely pull power and lock into 3rd if it goes into limp mode.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by USP45
Only if the production examples respond well, the car that AMS had was a preproduction like CharlesJ said. According to his source even some Mitsubishi insiders have speculated that the production examples could have an algorythm to where the TCM talks to the ECU and that if the TCM thinks that there is too much tq coming into the tranny that it will tell the ECU to cut back power.

I have an 06 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison combination and the TCM deffinatly talks to the ECU. Any time the tranny shifts it tells the ECU to defuel until the clutch packs lock up. It is very noticable and you can feel it during shifts. It does not pull back power due to a percieved overtorque though. It will only completely pull power and lock into 3rd if it goes into limp mode.

good point about the pre-production cars..however, why would they bother putting that stuff on a pre-production MR and then show off what kind of increases they are getting and take pictures and stuff. the public will never be able to buy a pre-production MR, so what was the whole point of AMS working on the pre-production MR then talking about how fun and well the mods worked? makes no sense.

A bit of contradiction going on there I'd say.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Orangeblast
good point about the pre-production cars..however, why would they bother putting that stuff on a pre-production MR and then show off what kind of increases they are getting and take pictures and stuff. the public will never be able to buy a pre-production MR, so what was the whole point of AMS working on the pre-production MR then talking about how fun and well the mods worked? makes no sense.

A bit of contradiction going on there I'd say.
I'm speculating that the point of this exercise was to see what kind of hp/tq parameters they should set in the production models. They don't want people going crazy b/c they'll wear the tranny out early even if it can handle the power. But they realize people are going to do stuff and don't want to shut the aftermarket out completely. So, this is a nice compromise. People will get to throw on some bolt-ons and as long as they keep it below a 50-60 bhp increase over stock, no limp mode.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by desperado-c
I'm speculating that the point of this exercise was to see what kind of hp/tq parameters they should set in the production models. They don't want people going crazy b/c they'll wear the tranny out early even if it can handle the power. But they realize people are going to do stuff and don't want to shut the aftermarket out completely. So, this is a nice compromise. People will get to throw on some bolt-ons and as long as they keep it below a 50-60 bhp increase over stock, no limp mode.
Now that makes sense. 50-60 should get it over 300?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

all my 03 has is 50-60 hp over stock and it doesn't feel down on power to me for what i use it for. people in the same boat should be excited! drag racers wanting uber power need not apply, but that's been assumed from the get-go. the simple bolt-on route was all i was hoping for in the MR and it looks like that's not outside the realm of possibility!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My last one was 360whp on a Dynojet and it felt good to me. I am sure that more could be fun, but I liked it. If the MR will support 350whp over the long term than I may be in, but I do not want something that works for a year and then develops problems. I hope that some shop or manufacture of clutches opens up the SST and makes a bit better clutch (assuming the tranny will handle it) like they have done on the VW DSG. The only issue is that the SST is supposedly non servicable...
Old Apr 30, 2008, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by USP45
The only issue is that the SST is supposedly non servicable...
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over that. i'm 99.9% sure the notion of the non-serviceable SST is only a temporary policy. the training videos for it even suggest that is the case. also, considering the ubiquity of the new box once the ralliart and outlander are fitted with the SST, the practice of shipping every failed SST back to japan for a re-build becomes a logistical impossibility. after all, it's held together with nuts and bolts just like everything else, and it's not as if they are tossed in the recycling bin once they fail. they will be refurbished just like anything else worth a significant amount of money. it is standard practice to have new tricky systems sent back to the test engineering department for failure analysis to identify the failure mode, cause, repair methods, any necessary pre-emptive service, tsb's, recalls, etc. after all that is sorted, i'd be floored if authorized maintenance wasn't moved down to the service center level, especially once they are out of warranty. The main question in my mind is if/when a rebuild will be required once the power is increased. i doubt the SST is stressed to more than 85-90% of its torque holding capacity, so minor gains shouldn't be an issue, but that's in theory. in practice who really knows? right now i'm eating popcorn and watching till the jury is out. the outlook looks good so far though thanks to this great information about AMS's bolt-ons working at least on a pre-production SST! i'm very excited. I've always dreamed of having a sequentially shifted evo with ayc! this is YEARS overdue! lets just hope they got it right the first go-around...

Last edited by machron1; Apr 30, 2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old May 1, 2008, 04:46 PM
Account Disabled

.......With the AMS mods, how much wtq and whp is being put down? Any idea how much the Tranny ECU can handle? Rumor is 300wtq at the flywheel, any input AMS?
Old May 2, 2008, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

The interior on the MR looks so much nicer than the GSR's I dont know what it is but I like it alot better.
Old May 2, 2008, 03:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en
.......With the AMS mods, how much wtq and whp is being put down? Any idea how much the Tranny ECU can handle? Rumor is 300wtq at the flywheel, any input AMS?
its hard to say what this car is putting down to the wheels. Martin and Tim said the car felt fast. I'm sure the sst can take more then 300wtq

Eric
Old May 3, 2008, 10:49 AM
Account Disabled

....sweet. Thanks for replying.