Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Question about buying a new car

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2008, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why don’t you just wait a couple more months, buckle down and save as much as you can? These cars are going to be discounted come the end of the year. While you save up, do your best to get a test drive somewhere and keep doing your research on the car. Also, if you know you are definitely going to change the wheels, try and work through the dealer and get the cost rolled into the overall financing.
Old May 2, 2008, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
aren't there evo on the lots in NY? reaching out to cali is a lot to take on. dealers are in a bad spot now too. the same evo's will be sitting on the same lots months from now. i was surprised that they made me a deal after like 60 minutes of negotiating. you got the upper hand here.
Old May 2, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dek0026
aren't there evo on the lots in NY? reaching out to cali is a lot to take on. dealers are in a bad spot now too. the same evo's will be sitting on the same lots months from now. i was surprised that they made me a deal after like 60 minutes of negotiating. you got the upper hand here.

Yea, i know - but this is the market on the east coast. Ask anyone here, MSRP is a "Good deal"

There is one person on the board that says he can do under MSRP, shiv or something iirc - but he himself says south coasts prices are ridiculous and he won't match them. He is on the east coast too, but still a few hundred miles.

Also, as far as the taxes when applying for the title and the lienholder and them not taking it in the form of credit card, this is EXACTLY the information I was looking for, and thanks. Something like that is what I was worried about.

If thats the case, could I put the 4k bundled with my actual cash down payment on my credit card? I remember talking to a dealer who said they aren't allowed to put more then a thousand on a card or something for some reason.

Also, what if i financed through south coast? How would that go then with the whole tax / cc thing? Since that wouldn't be the state wherein i'd be applying for title etc... or does it not matter?
Old May 2, 2008, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DawnoffateX
Also, as far as the taxes when applying for the title and the lienholder and them not taking it in the form of credit card, this is EXACTLY the information I was looking for, and thanks. Something like that is what I was worried about.

If thats the case, could I put the 4k bundled with my actual cash down payment on my credit card? I remember talking to a dealer who said they aren't allowed to put more then a thousand on a card or something for some reason.

Also, what if i financed through south coast? How would that go then with the whole tax / cc thing? Since that wouldn't be the state wherein i'd be applying for title etc... or does it not matter?
No problem. Like I said, I was trying to do something similar and ended up having to change my loan amount at the last minute because my cash on hand couldn't cover it all. I hadn't considered that possibility, so I wanted to make you aware to save you some trouble.

As far as financing through South Coast, I'm not sure how that would work. They might be more likely to take a CC for the taxes, but I'm not sure they do out of state financing. It'd be some additional headache for them, as they'd have to be dealing with the NY titling courts.
Old May 2, 2008, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

I guess Cali either has more inventory, or is hurting from the economy worse than the east..or both. The sales crew didn't hesitate to let me drive one once they got a serious buyer vibe (I'm 39) and they had 3 to choose from..a 4th was sold a week before. I didn't even check any other dealers since I wanted a no-option GSR in a good color (I found the octane blue one at my nearby dealer row).

The guy told me straight away that they would sell it for invoice($31k). I still don't know if I can believe sales talk, but they claimed that that dealer group was discontinuing their relationship with Mitsubishi and didn't care to keep any cars, evos or not.

The interest rate I got on a 5 yr loan was 4.69 percent, but I have a longer history of car and house payments, have had the same job for a while etc. Taxes will be paid in one state or the other no matter, no getting around that, but it could cost you $1500 to drive the car back yourself so I'd just pay more to avoid a road trip/ transport cost if you can find one in your region. I'd worry about the chipped window/ hail damage/ half worn Yokohama Advans from a 3k mile trip coast to coast. You'd probably get hail damage on the transporter if your luck is like mine. The insurance can be a lot more on the evo (about $100 a year more than a regular car for me). I wouldn't incur too many extra costs. I have bought out of state before. just don't register it-bring the paper work to your state's dmv-They won't miss a sale over something like that.

Last edited by mike100; May 2, 2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old May 2, 2008, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

i have a suggestion. buy my X!!! priced below invoice and no dealer fees/taxes!!! :P...