Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

The scalpel and the chainsaw (Or my Evo X and '08 STI)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2008, 08:29 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The scalpel and the chainsaw (Or my Evo X and '08 STI)

Hi Guys,

After putting 5K miles on my '08 STI since I bought it at the end of January I'm putting it on full-time RallyCross track car duty and I bought an Evo X for a daily driver. While on paper some of the specs make you wonder, behind the wheel the new Evo retains everything that I loved about my Evo VIII.

It is very interesting to compare the various similarities and differences between the two cars, and the different approaches that each manufacturer has taken. I had an Evo VIII and an '07 STI as well, and the new cars retain their relative personalities that I liken to a scalpel versus a chainsaw. The STI still feels like a rally car set up for the dirt, and the Evo like a rally car set up for the roadcourse.

It is great to be back in another Evo. I know that most people consider both cars, and as I have the unique opportunity to live with them both I'd be happy to help if anyone has any questions.

--Josh
Old May 24, 2008, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

so which evo is more fun?
Old May 24, 2008, 08:42 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
so which evo is more fun?
While I sold my Evo VIII a couple years ago, I'd say that they are both the same amount of glorious fun. I loved my VIII - it came out of nowhere and redefined my expectations for a car. Previously I had a lot of mid and rear-engined sport cars and never really cared for AWD or turbos or thought that a sedan could possibly present such an engaging driving experience.

The X feels like the VIII but with the driveline lash eliminated, a slightly stiffer chassis that allows for a more compliant suspension setting, and a smoother power curve. It still has the steering feel that rivals everything short of an Elise, the amazing level of feedback, and the feeling that it just wants to be pushed harder. It is most clearly a worthy successor to the Evo heritage. Add in AYC and you have a stunner. I had my concerns after the weight was published and Dr. Evo stated that they were aiming to broaden the market, but some time behind the wheel has proven them to be unneeded. Bottom line: both are great cars and a ton of fun.
Old May 24, 2008, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not track the evo and DD the STi?
Old May 24, 2008, 09:16 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mightygnu
Why not track the evo and DD the STi?
I run in the RallyCross National Challenge series and the STI is better on the dirt than the Evo. If it were on pavement then it would be exactly the opposite.
Old May 24, 2008, 09:57 PM

The 6th gear

Last edited by akitamike; Feb 9, 2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:16 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by akitamike
The 6th gear in the STI, is it a much taller gear, lowering the rpm's at cruising speed, or do you spin the rpm's just as high in the STI as X on the freeway? Can you comment on your opinion of the interior on the STI vs. X (GSR's cloth and not MR, b/c you have the GSR?) The STI I sat in seemed to be better overall interior quality, but I didn't get to compare the trunk size - the X seems mighty small in the trunk, maybe not big enough for 1 lg piece of luggage. Thanks for your insight.

Yes, I went with the GSR.

With the 6-speed the STI is calmer on the highway. I actually find that 5th gear is somewhat useless as the jump from 4th to 6th seems about perfect. The STI is also quieter at cruising speed on the highway. Actually, the cabin is probably quieter overall. The engine in the '08 STI is even quieter than the '07 STI was. By comparison, the Evo X's engine is louder and to my ears sounds great as you rip up through the rev range.

The interiors are where things get interesting. The STI seems to have more attention to detail. Simple things like having a mat at the bottom of the cubbies, etc. On the other hand, the Evo has more consistent lighting and finishes. They both have the same style and type of HVAC controls (though the Evo X continues to be the fastest car to build heat I've run accross - which makes my wife happy). The central info screen/trip computer on the Evo is better than the simple MPG readout on the STI. The STI has audio controls on the steering wheel, but I plan to install the available set for the Evo (which will cost $100 and an hour or two to install). The Evo has one-touch down AND up on the driver's window where the STI has down-only.

I think that the dashboards are about equal between the two for look and feel, but the Evo's center console seems pretty cheap whereas the STI's doesn't stand out one way or the other. I'd say the Evo's steering wheel is slightly nicer, and the seats are really down to preference. The Evo's recaros are awesome of course, but the STI's alcantara covered seats actually hold you pretty well and would accommodate "wider" people a lot better. The STI's SI-Drive is actually useful, though it would be better if it could stay in S# after restarts.

My Evo has the SSS package. The stereo is pretty good, whereas I had to put an aftermarket head unit in the STI, which required a $100 OEM dash panel direct from Japan. The FastKey system on the Evo is actually quite nice, and not available on the STI. Not specifically interior - but the headlights and fogs on the Evo are a bit nicer than the STI, especially the awesome hi-beams on the Evo.

The STI certainly wins on utility. The "trunk" area behind the seats is quite large and has a nice retractable cover. The seats then fold down and you have plenty of room for just about anything. The Evo's trunk is small, and even smaller with the SSS sub. Also, Subaru sells a nice roof rack for the STI whereas Mitsu has nothing for the Evo here in the US. Actually, Subaru has a lot more accessories of every type than Mitsu.

Last edited by JWA; May 24, 2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting review. I really like how you go down in details, thanks.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JWA
I run in the RallyCross National Challenge series and the STI is better on the dirt than the Evo. If it were on pavement then it would be exactly the opposite.
Sounds good to me!
Old May 25, 2008, 12:53 AM
Account Disabled

thanks for that review. i like the fact that the evo center screen can give read-outs for a bunch of stuff. i also really like the X shifter and it's notchiness, how's the STi shifter?
Old May 25, 2008, 08:58 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

Yeah, the Evo's center screen is nice, but it would be cool if you could control som of the basic car settings through it like my wife's GTI. I read that you could in the UK Evos, but didn't see anything in the manual for ours.

The STI shifter is a bit smoother and less "cable shifter" feeling than the Evo's. The throws are about the same. Other than the slight crunch in 2nd and 3rd, I'd say the shifter/tranny in both are equally as good.
Old May 25, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JWA
The STI has audio controls on the steering wheel, but I plan to install the available set for the Evo (which will cost $100 and an hour or two to install).
Please provide more info on this. One of the dealbreakers for me on the GSR is the lack of steering wheel volume/track controls. I'm so used to it on my TSX, I can't live without it. And only the MR has it. Not sure why the GSR has the AWC button which I wouldn't think you would be changing so frequently that it needs to appear on the steering wheel.
Old May 25, 2008, 09:46 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

I couldn't agree more. There is a great walk-through in the How-to section that goes through installing the bluetooth setup. Part of that is replacing the AWC switch on the steering wheel with an OEM switchpanel that has the audio controls, then there is a pushbutton that controls the AWC that you put in a blank where the little cubby behind the shifter is. That switch also fits into the existing blank to the left of the steering wheel that is next to the ASC button, so some people have extended the factory harness to be able to put it over there, which is what I plan on doing. If you do it that way you only need two parts and some wire.

The write-up is here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=326760
Old May 25, 2008, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Nice man!
Old May 25, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Great detail in your reviews. So what are your modding plans for both cars?

Quick Reply: The scalpel and the chainsaw (Or my Evo X and '08 STI)