Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Every one check your oil level on your evo x asap!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna have to check mine real soon. I hope it's clean.

Last edited by EvoXstylin; Sep 24, 2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:57 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've seen oil near the trans 5sp on some customers Evo X, however nothing representing engine oil at the block.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
We've seen oil near the trans 5sp on some customers Evo X, however nothing representing engine oil at the block.
Look for oil reside and coating directly under the water pump and on the front engine timing cover. Mine was coated all the way down to the crank pulley and oil pan.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shyong
Well, if you're a no-life trying to justify how much better the 4G is over the 4B, thus why you don't own an Evo X...knock yourself out. Sure let those guys have a field day. It's not like the 4G never had any problems.
An oil leak, nah. Means nothing about the motor itself unless it happens to everybody that owns a X.

The first "I blew my motor" thread on the other hand...
Old Sep 24, 2008, 02:13 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Just heard back from the dealer. They said it is a crank seal and a valve cover gasket. Of course the parts are going to be ordered, but any suggestions on whether or not that will really impact my driving this weekend? I have the big end of year auto-x this weekend. BTW this car has 3500 miles on it in just under 1 1/2 months of ownership.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

I know this topic is "hot" right now...but stating that your motor may blow up from this (rather small) leak-thats a little extreme. I have 18k miles on mine now, and yes I found it fairly early, but guys, this is a pretty small leak-your crankcase breather is putting out the same amount.....
Old Sep 24, 2008, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 08EvoXGSR
I know this topic is "hot" right now...but stating that your motor may blow up from this (rather small) leak-thats a little extreme. I have 18k miles on mine now, and yes I found it fairly early, but guys, this is a pretty small leak-your crankcase breather is putting out the same amount.....
I agree, not enough to blow a motor or anything, but still very upsetting considering this is a new car that I paid XXX for.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nsomniac
Just heard back from the dealer. They said it is a crank seal and a valve cover gasket. Of course the parts are going to be ordered, but any suggestions on whether or not that will really impact my driving this weekend? I have the big end of year auto-x this weekend. BTW this car has 3500 miles on it in just under 1 1/2 months of ownership.
Awesome so they found out what it was. Can you do me a fav and ask if there was no warrenty how much would it cost cuz i might have to pay out of pocket of this one.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 04:35 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Guys,

I started the thread that joe is refferring to. This is a leak on the timing chain cover ( think) You can see it from under the car if you take the oil drain bolt cover off.

It coats both the back and t-chain side of the motor. I am not exagerrating.

I cleaned and verified the leak after only 5 minutes of driving. Going in soon for dealer look. My oil level is fine though
Originally Posted by EVOxStuntin2008
Oh I bet the 4G63 guys are gonna like this.
They can't say much. A lot of 4G63s leaked and coated the back of the block. My VIII did this. IX or X never leaked, but I didn't have either of them for longer than 8k.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 04:38 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X
Awesome so they found out what it was. Can you do me a fav and ask if there was no warrenty how much would it cost cuz i might have to pay out of pocket of this one.
Sorry, I saw this after I already picked up the car, but I will ask them in a couple weeks when I get back from San Diego and have them do the fix.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dek0026
couldn't it be a drip from the intercooler from oil blow-by at heavy acceleration? isn't that normal for turbo cars. haven't checked mine yet.

edited: read other thread. my suggestion is not the case.
the intercooler would fill up with oil in that case, and this does happen on turbo cars from time to time.

if its leaking out of the intercooler, you have a boost leak and your in trouble for other reasons
Old Sep 24, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, I saw this after I already picked up the car, but I will ask them in a couple weeks when I get back from San Diego and have them do the fix.
mmmmm Well maybe you can give them a call and ask. Keep me posted thanks
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Well i have an other important question about what they found out it was. If in fact this is what my car has as well will this cause a boost least or compression surge. Because I e mailed nick at dtm and he said i was the first case of having a compression surge which is kinda odd. So i was thinking this might have something to do with it.

Plz any help full inputs would be great thanks.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

I could have sworn there was another post before mine that i was referring to and that i even quoted it... i don't know why my post appearded like that. it was really late and i was just gettign ready for bed
Old Sep 25, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X
Well i have an other important question about what they found out it was. If in fact this is what my car has as well will this cause a boost least or compression surge. Because I e mailed nick at dtm and he said i was the first case of having a compression surge which is kinda odd. So i was thinking this might have something to do with it.

Plz any help full inputs would be great thanks.
bump

Quick Reply: Every one check your oil level on your evo x asap!!!