Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

poor pedal placement?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
poor pedal placement?

Does anyone else have trouble doing heel-toe downshifts on the Evo? Unless I am braking hard, I find it nearly impossible to touch the gas pedal w/ my heel.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Impossible to do.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wongck
Does anyone else have trouble doing heel-toe downshifts on the Evo? Unless I am braking hard, I find it nearly impossible to touch the gas pedal w/ my heel.
+111111111111. maybe try different shoes?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:10 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Works fine for me. I've done it on the street and at the track.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Why would you heel-toe when you're not braking hard?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually think that the pedal placement is perfect. I can heal/toe at light brake pressure or hard, but I also have big feet so maybe that makes it easier for me. To whoever said it's impossible to heal/toe under light braking, trust me, you just need more practice. Years ago when I first learned how to heal toe, I had a tendency to either mash the brake when trying to blip the throttle or just miss the gas pedal all together, but you just learn to position your foot differently and learn how to control the muscles in your ankle better over time. You'll get it, don't worry.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:27 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Pedal placement is awful and my feet aren't exactly small. I bought some 'racing pedals' that made it a lot better: there's a post about it in the how-to section.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah.. impossible. You could have water skis for feet, and it still wouldn't work on mine.
I've had Mueller adjust mine in the past, and he did a double take on this one. He said he's seen other 10's that weren't set up with the accelerator so far away, and thought that maybe the base(which I have) may be set up different than the SSS. He was gonna take my car over to the dealer today to compare it with the others.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought it was difficult too until I had an instructor drive my car... and he did it perfectly over and over. Obviously it was operator error
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

if you could just put a hand throttle lever on the shifter, it would be so much easier.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Does someone mind posting a quick guide on how to heel-toe on the Evo X? I just have a hard time hitting both pedals. If it's really a matter of technique and position I'd like to see how it's done right. Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmmmmm.... you brake with the upper part of your foot, and rotate your heal over to the gas pedal. Not much to it. Obviously you don't want to apply more pressure to the brake pedal every time you "blip" the throttle with your heal. You'll end up doing chitty-chitty-bang-bang every time you go to back-shift into a corner. Just practice it, and it'll come smoothly.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldn't manage to heel/toe without excessive foot rotation, so I switched to the alternative technique where you use the left side of your foot for the brake, and the right for the gas. It works a lot better for me, and equally-well for both hard and light braking conditions. I just got in the habit of doing it all the time.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by UFO
Pedal placement is awful and my feet aren't exactly small. I bought some 'racing pedals' that made it a lot better: there's a post about it in the how-to section.
here's the link UFO mentions:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=racing+pedals

These pedals have extra metal on the left side for easier heel toe. They also allow you to fine tune the height relationship between the gas and brake pedal, which is very important for heel toe.

Note also that these pedals have much higher grip than factory pedals, even when wet. There are grip tests on the SRPracing.com website done with dry pedals and pedals with ArmorAll on them.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

the evox is a little bit harder than other cars.

Quick Reply: poor pedal placement?