Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

inconsistent acceleration

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high altitude can cause less boost, hot temps and bad gas will cause timing to be pulled back, but the one thing I notice on my X is that until the coolant temp is high enough (showing on the bar graph), boost is limited until the car warms up a bit.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

do you have the latest ecu flashes from the factory?
Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ksattic
Bad gas? Try getting some elsewhere for a couple of weeks. +1 on the boost gauge.
Doubt that. I'm kind of neurotic about the gas. I only use shell V-power 93 oct.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JoeyM3
do you have the latest ecu flashes from the factory?
I got the first reflash but not the second one. I felt the first flash helped my car so I opted to not get the second one. I do have an intake, which I hear can cause issues.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:55 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JmurphSTI
I got the first reflash but not the second one. I felt the first flash helped my car so I opted to not get the second one. I do have an intake, which I hear can cause issues.
You should have mentioned that in your first post: could have saved a page of guessing. Go back to stock & report back if things change.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UFO
You should have mentioned that in your first post: could have saved a page of guessing. Go back to stock & report back if things change.

I tried that about a month ago when it first started happening, didn't do anything. I feel the car runs worse with out it. Plus I've had it on for about 10,000 miles now and never had an issue. I believe its something to do with the differential. I'll randomly get a warning light that says check tarmac. It flashes for about 5 sec then goes away. Maybe the car goes into limp mode or something?

Last edited by JmurphSTI; Oct 26, 2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dek0026
does disconnecting really reset the ecu? what info would be lost by doing that? reflashes etc. i would imagine that would be saved info that would have to be manually removed.
A buddy of mind suggested resetting the ECU as well. But I was nervous about losing important info such as the reflashes.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

A buddy of mind suggested resetting the ECU as well. But I was nervous about losing important info such as the reflashes.
lol the car will not lose the flash if you reset the ecu. it's like a computer hard drive, you won't lose the data
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Oh and to top it all off, when I hit a bump, just my left speakers go out. It's annoying as hell.

i have the SAME exact problem... except sometimes its my left...sometimes its my right...sometimes its both! its only with my cd player tho i have to smack my dash to get it working ...
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyM3
lol the car will not lose the flash if you reset the ecu. it's like a computer hard drive, you won't lose the data
well if people suggest that disconnecting the battery willo "reset" the ecu there has to be a component of data lose. what data would be lost if at all? i would imagine that you would have to manually reset an ecu and cutting power won't simply do it.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I was in the same boat. The acceleration sucks on the Evo X stock compared to my 04 STi stock! When I bought the X, I still had the STi so I would swap them every day. I was really disappointed with the lack of power and turbo lag from the X. In every other aspect the X was a better car - handling, smoother ride, tighter chassis and steering feel.

So I solved the problem. I got a tune and the car just rocks now. The power is consistent and has a much smoother delivery. It's quicker than my Stage II STi and it pulls hard to the redline where the STi would fall flat.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UFO
Oh, there's you're problem. I stuck a K&N cone filter on the car and it ran like crap. Some days I felt like I lost 20hp and other days it ran well. Do yourself a favor and get a drop-in.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a tune
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

what they mean is to reset the ecu to clear codes and to re-learn the way you drive. only way to reset the ecu is to disconnect the battery, or if you have CEL on you can use the obd-2 scanner to clear the codes.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sorry o/t

disconnecting the battery really allows you to have the car relearn your driving patterns? i alway knew it did this but don't understand what exactly it "learns." i feel like driving in traffic everyday hurts me when i want to get on it

Quick Reply: inconsistent acceleration